Author Topic: 2012  (Read 11064 times)

Offline Saganmaineiac

• Star Castle Cadet
  • I'm a Rocketman! Burning out my fumes out here!
    • View Profile
Re: 2012
« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2009, 04:55:53 pm »
The jews also predicted 2012 as an Apocalyptic year too. I learned that on the History Channel. All I think that's gonna happen is that there's gonna be a 35 year-long war in the middle east involving another jewish persecution/holocaust. NOT the end of the world. (worse than a holocaust)
"Always look on the bright side of life!" *whistles*

You must be REALLY fun at parties.

Offline UFO King

• Dirk the Daring
  • Quotes sigged: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 23, 2009, 10:02:22 pm »
Why do you think that, sagan? You have little evidence to back your claims, and prophecies cannot be trusted. It is impossible to see into the future unless you are somehow able to take into consideration every single factor that affects the outcome, ever.

Also, I think the people who make these movies need to understand that special effects of mass destruction alone do not make a good movie. Citizen Kane did not have giant radioactive exploding ninjas destroying NYC, but it is still one of the best films ever made. Why? Because it had a good plot, good characters, good dialogue, etc. The reason these films have been horrible is because they lacked all these things.

By the way, in the trailer I spotted a trademark of these films: An annoying nerdy white guy who wears glasses and is socially inept. Just like Nick Testosterone Tinmanopolis Tarantulasaurus Whatever.
I came, I saw, I went back to bed.

Offline omegatripod

• BurgerTime Chef
  • Now a brony.
    • View Profile
    • Ask Joe Hoofer
« Reply #17 on: July 23, 2009, 10:04:27 pm »
Citizen Kane did not have giant radioactive exploding ninjas destroying NYC

Except for that one time.

Offline Haseri

• Lode Runner
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 24, 2009, 06:48:26 am »
Obviously UFO, you haven't snuck into Micheal Bay's house and stolen his version of Citizen Kane. Giant radioactive exploding ninjas are the least silliest parts.

And Rosebud is Megan Fox.

Offline Kishmond

• Ultima III Time Lord
  • Alfalfa Mainframe
    • View Profile
    • I'll Eat Your Brains
« Reply #19 on: July 24, 2009, 03:19:59 pm »
... special effects of mass destruction alone do not make a good movie.

???
They don't?
Yeah, [Kishmond] came back from Africa, but the ponies have him now.

Offline Andrew Ryan

• Simon Belmont
  • A man has a choice, I chose the impossible!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 25, 2009, 01:26:18 pm »
*See Transformers*
"Don't worry 'bout me. I wouldn't worry about me. Don't you worry about me. Don't you worry 'bout me!" - Talking Heads, Don't Worry About the Government

Offline Yannick

• Tetris Tumbler
  • The end is nigh
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 25, 2009, 02:22:21 pm »

... special effects of mass destruction alone do not make a good movie.
You have obviously never seen the Terminator series.

"It's only your virginity, loosen up!"

Offline UFO King

• Dirk the Daring
  • Quotes sigged: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 27, 2009, 08:36:57 am »
The Terminator movies had a good plot and great characters, at least the first and second ones. In fact, the second one was one of the best sequels ever made.
I came, I saw, I went back to bed.

Offline The_Kev

• Joust Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Fear Productions
« Reply #23 on: October 26, 2009, 10:41:42 am »
Looking forward to this.

Have seen The Day After Tomorrow several times too. :)
"When my strength is your weakness, I'll become fearless." - Fear

Proud owner of:

Offline Rysworld

• Autoduel Mechanic
  • hhhhhhhh
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 26, 2009, 06:13:40 pm »
Hmm... I liked The Day After Tomorrow too... I might watch this.

Offline The_Kev

• Joust Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Fear Productions
« Reply #25 on: October 27, 2009, 08:32:41 am »
Quite strange. I was looking through some wikipedia pages about 2012 and somewhere it said:

"21 of 23 december[1] - Einde van de dertiende baktun van de Mayakalender (13.0.0.0.0, 4 Ahau 3 Kankin). Dit is intussen alweer onwaar gebleken door een miscalculatie. De nieuwe datum ligt in december 2220"

This is Dutch and it means the 21 December of 2012 was a mistake in calculation and it is now December 2220... ???
"When my strength is your weakness, I'll become fearless." - Fear

Proud owner of:

Offline huggkruka

• Space Ace
  • Totally powers
    • View Profile
    • My Digitalart.org profile
« Reply #26 on: November 01, 2009, 11:08:56 pm »
I've figured out how to enjoy this movie. I'll wait until the bluray comes out, then download a rip from thepiratebay. After that, I'll create a kickass playlist lasting the same amount of time as the movie. Turn the music up, play the movie silently on my home cinema, and it will be amazing.

Try it yourself with the 5-minute clip on apple trailers(available in 720 and 1080). It's really nice.

Offline Legodragonxp

• Excitebike Gearhead
  • Now for some real user power...
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 13, 2009, 03:16:06 pm »
Just saw this and it was OK. Watching it on the big screen will help if you want to see some of the details a little better, but otherwise you could probably watch it on DVD and really not miss anything. I went in wanting to watch the world get destroyed and I was entertained. However this realy wasn't any better than 'The Day After Tomorrow'.

The characters are wooden, no cardboard. Only one person in the whole movie even grabbed my attention and that was Woody Harrelson (and I don't like him). I haven't seen characters this flat since the theatrical release of Alien vs Predator 2 (of which the full DVD release is much better). When people die in this movie nobody really seems to care.

As for the disaster scenes, they are so over the top that when I looked at other people in the audience they were all putting on their 'yeah, right!' faces. What you see in the trailers is just the start of the things going wrong.

Spolier alert: The whole movie in 5 seconds:
A divorced dad with two kids is on the sidelines as a couple young scientist explain to the world leaders that a new kind of mutant sub-atomic particle is melting the foundation of the continental plates and the world is about to go to hell. (and then the ground cracks) Given two years the G8 nations begin building a bunch of ships in China (which isn't a G8 member, but nevermind) (and then the ground cracks again) so that a small handful of people can rebuild humanity (under more cranking ground). The Divorced dad with his entourage (which consists of people you don't care about during the movie, ever) steal a plane (between the ground cracking) and fly to China (which isn't all its cracked up to be) to sneak aboard on of the ships before launch. Insert the morality speech about how the whole world should be warned, a daring yet predictable rescue, a short stint of killing the least likeable characters that you don't care about, and a happy ending (being that this 160 minute movie is over and you can now go pee.)

I'll post about continuity later... that alone might make it worth watching again, to find the mistakes.

-Lego

Offline Kitkat

• Ultima III Time Lord
  • Beep Boop.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 14, 2009, 03:58:43 pm »
Huh. I liked this movie, but it was rather disappointing. They kill waaaaay too many characters which persisted a bit too long to be killed. Like that stepdad guy. And the Russian dude and his... girlfriend?. It was rather anti-climactic, with the best scenes and the most action-y stuff seeming to happen more toward the middle, leaving a disappointing... hole... at the end. Barack Obama (?)'s actor was completely wrong, he didn't look, sound, or really seem to act like him. I'm not sure it was even him, I seem to remember he might have been referred to as "president Wilson" at one point. That cruise ship scene was totally bogus. Ships like that are DESIGNED to handle bad things like that, right? And it could have just turned into the tidal wave to keep from rolling, right?. That crazy radio guy was hilarious. The special effects were incredible. And I liked the arks. Except for one critical oversight. How the crap do you design a massive ship like that, that's designed to handle a giant tidal wave, AND NOT HAVE BILGE PUMPS!? COME ON! I half expected one of the hull panels to have a stamp that said "made in China" on it. Because they are, right?

All in all:

acting: 8/10
characters: 5/10
storyline: 4.5/10
Music: 9/10
Special Effects: 12/10

Though I think it was very good, there is BIG room for improvement.

Sorry for the disorganization of this post, I just typed it as it popped into my head.
Goddamnit kitkat, you make me look late
Come check out The Bino and The Ni'Calls
(Or don't these are old and embarrasing)

Offline Rysworld

• Autoduel Mechanic
  • hhhhhhhh
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 14, 2009, 05:07:43 pm »
like Nick Testosterone Tinmanopolis Tarantulasaurus Whatever.
Ah references to good old Nick Titopolis Testicleopolis Sitopolis.(I think that was his name)