Author Topic: 2012  (Read 11058 times)

Offline Legodragonxp

• Excitebike Gearhead
  • Now for some real user power...
    • View Profile
« on: July 12, 2009, 07:37:19 am »
From the guys that brought us ID4 and The Day After Tomorrow we get 2012. Another disaster-end-of-the-world CGI fest.

http://www.whowillsurvive2012.com/

I'll be watching it of course, I love this kind of silly choas.

On a continuity note.. the USS John F Kennedy was decomissioned two years ago (cough).

-Lego

Offline huggkruka

• Space Ace
  • Totally powers
    • View Profile
    • My Digitalart.org profile
Re: 2012
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2009, 12:48:00 pm »
They are flying a jet between collapsing skyscrapers and you worry about the make of the aircraft carrier.  :P

Offline Inkling

• S.T.U.N. Runner
  • Not a Squid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2009, 01:45:15 pm »
I would expect nothing less from Lego.

That being said, there is so much insanity in that trailer, I don't know where to begin.
Probably not a Goat, either.

Offline The_Kev

• Joust Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Fear Productions
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2009, 02:59:05 pm »
It looked quite cool!

Though it seems a bite overdone, so much disasters like a meteor rain, a huge wave and sick earthquakes...
Still I think I will like the movie ;D (I liked independence day and day after tomorrow too!)
"When my strength is your weakness, I'll become fearless." - Fear

Proud owner of:

Offline Andrew Ryan

• Simon Belmont
  • A man has a choice, I chose the impossible!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2009, 02:53:13 am »
I don't know, this movie is from the same people that made the 90's Godzilla...

I'm not trusting the movie until I here the reviews.
"Don't worry 'bout me. I wouldn't worry about me. Don't you worry about me. Don't you worry 'bout me!" - Talking Heads, Don't Worry About the Government

Offline UFO King

• Dirk the Daring
  • Quotes sigged: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2009, 02:42:49 pm »
All the movies these people have made have sucked, so I don't think this will be any different. And the teaser explicitly states that the Mayans were man's first civilization, who warned us of the end of the world.
1. The Sumerians, Persians, Greeks, Romans, Egyptians, etc. might have something to say about the Mayans' longevity.
2. The Maya calendar does not attach any apocalyptic significance to the year 2012 whatsoever, and their actual predicted date for the end of the world is eons upon eons in the future.
This movie is going to be a horrible film that is over-reliant on special effects with cliched characters, a flimsy plot and bad dialogue. I won't see it, and nobody should. Except critics.
I came, I saw, I went back to bed.

Offline Yannick

• Tetris Tumbler
  • The end is nigh
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2009, 02:46:37 pm »
I'd watch it purely for the CGI destruction fest that it will no doubt become.

"It's only your virginity, loosen up!"

Offline Skyward

• Ballblazer Plasmorb
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2009, 04:09:15 pm »
A better version of the trailer.
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZW2qxFkcLM0" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZW2qxFkcLM0</a>
Hell, Skyward Descent is pure win!
Quote from: Captain
I kill you in the name of DELICIOUS!

Offline Inkling

• S.T.U.N. Runner
  • Not a Squid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2009, 04:22:05 pm »
That was brilliant.  And based off the music, I think Quentin Tarantino needs to make a disaster movie.
Probably not a Goat, either.

Offline martyk

• Simon Belmont
  • Never underestimate the power of dolphin!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2009, 10:05:08 am »
That was brilliant.  And based off the music, I think Quentin Tarantino needs to make a disaster movie.

^ I agree with this.
Quote from: Doctor Zay
Martyk is a handsome fish.
Quote from: Brandonazz
This dolphin is delicious.
<Sgore> Martyk, mentally I always picture you as like, our forums bartender.
<Neoadept> I've always pictured you trapped in a tuna net

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2009, 12:33:49 pm »
Sure, why not?

So here's my theory on the Mayan calender. Right, so they calculated and recorded calenders for like, 3000 years. At some point someone must have been like, you know... I think we have enough of these for now, let's work on something else. Because they could get back to work on more calenders in... 2000 years or so and be cool. Unfortunately, they didn't pass the memo on and so people began to think that maybe the calenders stopped for a reason.

The world will not end in 2012, the Mayans were just being human and got lazy. I'd have done the same thing. I think this movie will be fun to watch if only because it fills that special hole in my heart that wants to see the White House get clobbered in as many exotic ways as possible. :D

Offline /lurk

• Dragon Warrior Slime
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2009, 05:37:53 pm »

I watched that second trailer first, and actually for a moment thought this might be a good film.

Then I saw the real trailer :/
Not a winner anymore.

Offline Kishmond

• Ultima III Time Lord
  • Alfalfa Mainframe
    • View Profile
    • I'll Eat Your Brains
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2009, 06:58:36 pm »
It will have spaceships! That will be cool, right?

PS- saying the world will end in 2012 is as silly as saying the world will end at midnight on New Year's Eve. That doesn't mean we can't enjoy the movie.
Yeah, [Kishmond] came back from Africa, but the ponies have him now.

gec05

« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2009, 10:10:25 pm »
I'd would be great if the movie was fashioned like that fake trailer. Should be a laugh to watch.

I'll just play some 70's pop themes in my head as I see the movie.

Offline huggkruka

• Space Ace
  • Totally powers
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2009, 08:51:15 am »
I'd would be great if the movie was fashioned like that fake trailer. Should be a laugh to watch.

I'll just play some 70's pop themes in my head as I see the movie.

Download the movie when it comes out on Bluray, and then play every song from the 70's in your music library when you watch it, you mean!

Offline Saganmaineiac

• Star Castle Cadet
  • I'm a Rocketman! Burning out my fumes out here!
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2009, 04:55:53 pm »
The jews also predicted 2012 as an Apocalyptic year too. I learned that on the History Channel. All I think that's gonna happen is that there's gonna be a 35 year-long war in the middle east involving another jewish persecution/holocaust. NOT the end of the world. (worse than a holocaust)
"Always look on the bright side of life!" *whistles*

You must be REALLY fun at parties.

Offline UFO King

• Dirk the Daring
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 23, 2009, 10:02:22 pm »
Why do you think that, sagan? You have little evidence to back your claims, and prophecies cannot be trusted. It is impossible to see into the future unless you are somehow able to take into consideration every single factor that affects the outcome, ever.

Also, I think the people who make these movies need to understand that special effects of mass destruction alone do not make a good movie. Citizen Kane did not have giant radioactive exploding ninjas destroying NYC, but it is still one of the best films ever made. Why? Because it had a good plot, good characters, good dialogue, etc. The reason these films have been horrible is because they lacked all these things.

By the way, in the trailer I spotted a trademark of these films: An annoying nerdy white guy who wears glasses and is socially inept. Just like Nick Testosterone Tinmanopolis Tarantulasaurus Whatever.

Offline omegatripod

• BurgerTime Chef
  • Now a brony.
    • View Profile
    • Ask Joe Hoofer
« Reply #17 on: July 23, 2009, 10:04:27 pm »
Citizen Kane did not have giant radioactive exploding ninjas destroying NYC

Except for that one time.

Offline Haseri

• Lode Runner
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 24, 2009, 06:48:26 am »
Obviously UFO, you haven't snuck into Micheal Bay's house and stolen his version of Citizen Kane. Giant radioactive exploding ninjas are the least silliest parts.

And Rosebud is Megan Fox.

Offline Kishmond

• Ultima III Time Lord
  • Alfalfa Mainframe
    • View Profile
    • I'll Eat Your Brains
« Reply #19 on: July 24, 2009, 03:19:59 pm »
... special effects of mass destruction alone do not make a good movie.

???
They don't?
Yeah, [Kishmond] came back from Africa, but the ponies have him now.

Offline Andrew Ryan

• Simon Belmont
  • A man has a choice, I chose the impossible!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 25, 2009, 01:26:18 pm »
*See Transformers*
"Don't worry 'bout me. I wouldn't worry about me. Don't you worry about me. Don't you worry 'bout me!" - Talking Heads, Don't Worry About the Government

Offline Yannick

• Tetris Tumbler
  • The end is nigh
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 25, 2009, 02:22:21 pm »

... special effects of mass destruction alone do not make a good movie.
You have obviously never seen the Terminator series.

"It's only your virginity, loosen up!"

Offline UFO King

• Dirk the Daring
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 27, 2009, 08:36:57 am »
The Terminator movies had a good plot and great characters, at least the first and second ones. In fact, the second one was one of the best sequels ever made.

Offline The_Kev

• Joust Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Fear Productions
« Reply #23 on: October 26, 2009, 10:41:42 am »
Looking forward to this.

Have seen The Day After Tomorrow several times too. :)

Proud owner of:

Offline Rysworld

• Autoduel Mechanic
  • hhhhhhhh
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 26, 2009, 06:13:40 pm »
Hmm... I liked The Day After Tomorrow too... I might watch this.

Offline The_Kev

• Joust Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Fear Productions
« Reply #25 on: October 27, 2009, 08:32:41 am »
Quite strange. I was looking through some wikipedia pages about 2012 and somewhere it said:

"21 of 23 december[1] - Einde van de dertiende baktun van de Mayakalender (13.0.0.0.0, 4 Ahau 3 Kankin). Dit is intussen alweer onwaar gebleken door een miscalculatie. De nieuwe datum ligt in december 2220"

This is Dutch and it means the 21 December of 2012 was a mistake in calculation and it is now December 2220... ???

Proud owner of:

Offline huggkruka

• Space Ace
  • Totally powers
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 01, 2009, 11:08:56 pm »
I've figured out how to enjoy this movie. I'll wait until the bluray comes out, then download a rip from thepiratebay. After that, I'll create a kickass playlist lasting the same amount of time as the movie. Turn the music up, play the movie silently on my home cinema, and it will be amazing.

Try it yourself with the 5-minute clip on apple trailers(available in 720 and 1080). It's really nice.

Offline Legodragonxp

• Excitebike Gearhead
  • Now for some real user power...
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 13, 2009, 03:16:06 pm »
Just saw this and it was OK. Watching it on the big screen will help if you want to see some of the details a little better, but otherwise you could probably watch it on DVD and really not miss anything. I went in wanting to watch the world get destroyed and I was entertained. However this realy wasn't any better than 'The Day After Tomorrow'.

The characters are wooden, no cardboard. Only one person in the whole movie even grabbed my attention and that was Woody Harrelson (and I don't like him). I haven't seen characters this flat since the theatrical release of Alien vs Predator 2 (of which the full DVD release is much better). When people die in this movie nobody really seems to care.

As for the disaster scenes, they are so over the top that when I looked at other people in the audience they were all putting on their 'yeah, right!' faces. What you see in the trailers is just the start of the things going wrong.

Spolier alert: The whole movie in 5 seconds:
A divorced dad with two kids is on the sidelines as a couple young scientist explain to the world leaders that a new kind of mutant sub-atomic particle is melting the foundation of the continental plates and the world is about to go to hell. (and then the ground cracks) Given two years the G8 nations begin building a bunch of ships in China (which isn't a G8 member, but nevermind) (and then the ground cracks again) so that a small handful of people can rebuild humanity (under more cranking ground). The Divorced dad with his entourage (which consists of people you don't care about during the movie, ever) steal a plane (between the ground cracking) and fly to China (which isn't all its cracked up to be) to sneak aboard on of the ships before launch. Insert the morality speech about how the whole world should be warned, a daring yet predictable rescue, a short stint of killing the least likeable characters that you don't care about, and a happy ending (being that this 160 minute movie is over and you can now go pee.)

I'll post about continuity later... that alone might make it worth watching again, to find the mistakes.

-Lego

Offline Kitkat

• Ultima III Time Lord
  • Beep Boop.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 14, 2009, 03:58:43 pm »
Huh. I liked this movie, but it was rather disappointing. They kill waaaaay too many characters which persisted a bit too long to be killed. Like that stepdad guy. And the Russian dude and his... girlfriend?. It was rather anti-climactic, with the best scenes and the most action-y stuff seeming to happen more toward the middle, leaving a disappointing... hole... at the end. Barack Obama (?)'s actor was completely wrong, he didn't look, sound, or really seem to act like him. I'm not sure it was even him, I seem to remember he might have been referred to as "president Wilson" at one point. That cruise ship scene was totally bogus. Ships like that are DESIGNED to handle bad things like that, right? And it could have just turned into the tidal wave to keep from rolling, right?. That crazy radio guy was hilarious. The special effects were incredible. And I liked the arks. Except for one critical oversight. How the crap do you design a massive ship like that, that's designed to handle a giant tidal wave, AND NOT HAVE BILGE PUMPS!? COME ON! I half expected one of the hull panels to have a stamp that said "made in China" on it. Because they are, right?

All in all:

acting: 8/10
characters: 5/10
storyline: 4.5/10
Music: 9/10
Special Effects: 12/10

Though I think it was very good, there is BIG room for improvement.

Sorry for the disorganization of this post, I just typed it as it popped into my head.
Goddamnit kitkat, you make me look late
Come check out The Bino and The Ni'Calls
(Or don't these are old and embarrasing)

Offline Rysworld

• Autoduel Mechanic
  • hhhhhhhh
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 14, 2009, 05:07:43 pm »
like Nick Testosterone Tinmanopolis Tarantulasaurus Whatever.
Ah references to good old Nick Titopolis Testicleopolis Sitopolis.(I think that was his name)

Offline Tesla

• Street Fighter Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: November 14, 2009, 05:12:17 pm »
So apparently this movie has mutated particles.
No way dude, you're trolling me.

Offline Kitkat

• Ultima III Time Lord
  • Beep Boop.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 14, 2009, 05:15:32 pm »
IIRC, they were neutrinos from the sun that, once hitting the Earth, in such massive numbers that they were, mutated, forming a particle that acted upon the Earth's inner crust like microwaves, baking it away, freeing the crust to shift around, and volcanoes to erupt.

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 14, 2009, 05:19:59 pm »
Oh yeah, Neutrinos totally do stuff like that all the time.

OH WAIT.

Neutrinos, they are very small.
They have no charge and have no mass
And do not interact at all.
The earth is just a silly ball
To them, through which they simply pass,
Like dustmaids down a drafty hall
Or photons through a sheet of glass.
They snub the most exquisite gas,
Ignore the most substantial wall,
Cold shoulder steel and sounding brass,
Insult the stallion in his stall,
And, scorning barriers of class,
Infiltrate you and me. Like tall
And painless guillotines they fall
Down through our heads into the grass.
At night, they enter at Nepal
And pierce the lover and his lass
From underneath the bed—you call
It wonderful; I call it crass.

—John Updike
Sam is basically right, he's just cranky.

Offline Kitkat

• Ultima III Time Lord
  • Beep Boop.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 14, 2009, 05:23:26 pm »
heh.

What DO neutrinos do then?

Oh, and who knows what they would do in such high numbers they were said to be in in the movie. They said that it was and EXTREMELY high amount, waaaay more than we've ever encountered.

Offline Eagle

• Donkey Kong King
  • I AM SO FASHIONABLE
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 14, 2009, 08:25:58 pm »
It's still completely wrong, and the common pseudo-science used to explain the movies to the average moviegoer but leave the thinkers with a "durr they don't do that" feeling.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neutrino <- Will explain it better than I ever will.

Most neutrinos passing through the Earth emanate from the Sun, and more than 50 trillion solar electron neutrinos pass through the human body every second.
This is the part you'd want to look at.
I am bloody FASHIONABLE eagle!1!

Offline sgore

• SunDog Pilot
  • Actually, Jeopardy is my second favorite game show
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 14, 2009, 10:22:50 pm »
The jews also predicted 2012 as an Apocalyptic year too. I learned that on the History Channel. All I think that's gonna happen is that there's gonna be a 35 year-long war in the middle east involving another jewish persecution/holocaust. NOT the end of the world. (worse than a holocaust)

We Did? Damn it people, you have to start telling me these things! I don't want to look uninformed when I go to the meetings...

Anyway I just thought I'd post a link to an extended scene from the movie they put out. (Spoiler alert...maybe...I'm not sure if there are any relevant plot points in here, mostly just a lot of special effects and wry one liners. I mean I doubt its that much of a spoiler to let people know a lot of things get destroyed):
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DIJpOP6jjh8" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DIJpOP6jjh8</a>
I don't know. In my opinion the special effects are well done, but something about the dialogue seems...off. I can't completely figure out what it is, but something about the pacing or how the one liners are placed...I'm not sure.

Oh and from what I've read John Cusack plays a writer who is at first skeptical of the events in the movie and then becomes... less skeptical
I imagine it will be an experience comparable to other movies in which John Cusack plays a writer who is at first skeptical of the events in the movie and then becomes... less skeptical
(Alright, honestly I really like John Cusack movies, including those ones, and Grosse Point Blank. I'm just screwing around.)
Edit: Just to be clear I haven't seen the full movie yet. Only the trailer and that 5 minute scene.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2009, 07:51:53 am by sgore »
What meme is relevant right now? Look, just imagine I'm riffing on that. Updating signatures is exhausting.

Sam:The Ploofy Master

Offline flabe

• Sea Battler
  • .___.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 14, 2009, 10:31:02 pm »

Offline Crazen

• Space Ace
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 14, 2009, 10:37:32 pm »
Huh. I liked this movie, but it was rather disappointing. They kill waaaaay too many characters which persisted a bit too long to be killed. Like that stepdad guy. And the Russian dude and his... girlfriend?.
yea, did they really have to kill off so many characters? the russian blond? like, three different families getting a last call from their old friend/estranged father? I understand killing the ass-holes, but really? its too much

Barack Obama (?)'s actor was completely wrong, he didn't look, sound, or really seem to act like him. I'm not sure it was even him, I seem to remember he might have been referred to as "president Wilson" at one point.
well, there ya go. it wasnt supposed to be Barack.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2009, 10:39:19 pm by Crazen »
Quote from: SimplyNecro
No capitalization......

Crazen!

Offline Tesla

• Street Fighter Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 15, 2009, 01:34:34 pm »
Particles don't mutate!
No way dude, you're trolling me.