Author Topic: Starpath Supercharger!  (Read 2858 times)

Offline Gaming Steve

• Master Chief
  • Dig Dug Digger
    • View Profile
    • Gaming Steve
Starpath Supercharger!
« on: March 23, 2005, 08:23:13 am »
So did anyone else out there have this little bit of magic for their Atari 2600 system? For those of you who don't know what it is the Supercharger plugged into your Atari 2600 and not only increased the RAM for your 2600 but it allowed you to load games into your system using a tape-player! I used to love this thing not only did the games look fantastic (for the 2600) but they were some of the best ever released.

"Dragonstomper" I must have played about a million times and it was one of the very first, if not the first, "true" RPG for the console systems. You had to increase your stats, buy spells and potions, hire underlings, slay monsters, interact with NPCs ... damn that was a great game.

Also "Escape from the Mindmaster" was a great game (with "real" 3D graphics on the 2600) with one of the very best video game endings ever (you knew it was going to be good because when you won the game you needed to "load" the entire ending into memory).

Here is some additional info for those you who wish to journey down memory lane:

Dragonstomper!

Escape from the Mindmaster

http://www.tripoint.org/games/literature/catalogs/starpath/starpath.html

Check out Gaming Steve on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/thegamingsteve

Offline CrimsonSapien

• Fire Truck Driver
  • Syntax error in line 20: UserCS=Wrong
    • View Profile
Re: Starpath Supercharger!
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2005, 08:27:34 am »
I never had that (let alone heard of it). But what I did have was cartridge that had a swing arm on the top for ROM's (similar to the arm on a ZIF socket) It allowed us (it was a friend of my brothers who got it from somewhere) us to play alot of the games and some R rated games as well. Not really sure where he got them from, I'll have to ask my brother next time about it.
If you spend word for word with me, I shall make your wit bankrupt.

Offline Scipion

• Stargate Superstar
  • Returned from the grave, now with more immunities!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2005, 10:00:44 am »
Steve can you remember what the system with the num-pad controlers that you had to slide plastic sleaves into was called? It's a fond child-hood memory of my first system but I don't know what it was.
-Just like Gaming Steve all of my ideas, suggestions, and comments are merely edjucated guesses. These are based on prior experience and current released info.-

Offline Gaming Steve

• Master Chief
  • Dig Dug Digger
    • View Profile
    • Gaming Steve
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2005, 05:28:10 pm »
Steve can you remember what the system with the num-pad controlers that you had to slide plastic sleaves into was called? It's a fond child-hood memory of my first system but I don't know what it was.

Well, there were a few that had this feature. Intellivison and the Atari 5200 had this feature off the top of my head. Give me more info like year you were playing this and if you remember if the controller had a joystick as well (Intellivison had that strange pad, Atari 5200 had a strange non-centering joystick).
Check out Gaming Steve on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/thegamingsteve