Author Topic: How to...  (Read 18570 times)

Offline DaMuncha

• Pack M.U.L.E.
  • GREAT SCOTTS!
    • View Profile
How to...
« on: June 26, 2009, 10:57:39 am »
Im perplexed, why dont they have these things in the manual.... (I Just read the manual and all it tells you what the 'mouse over' says).

Can I spawn a creature when a conversation ends?, or can I spawn a new creature when a mission starts?

How do I get that zoomed in screen with the subtitles? my NPCs just talk in a little speech bubble in game.

Looking at the GA Manual I see a picture on teh front of a creature wearing armour and metal shoes, and holding guns. And a skirt? Where is that in GA?

Thankyou for clearing up that cheap ass way of making a building interior.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2009, 09:29:55 am by DaMuncha »

Offline Monster

• Video Pinball Wizard
    • View Profile
Re: How to...
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2009, 12:16:45 pm »
How do I size buildings and creatures? :@

Offline DaMuncha

• Pack M.U.L.E.
  • GREAT SCOTTS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2009, 12:42:15 pm »
I discovered you select the object then hold Shift and use the mouse wheel to resize.

I have also discovered how to make things apear and disapear depending on what stage it is (theres a small white eye on the picture of what you have selected in the AI menui), instead of summoning.

gec05

« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2009, 12:51:02 pm »
Can I spawn a creature when a conversation ends?, or can I spawn a new creature when a mission starts?

1.) Load a creature from the Sporepedia. If there's another creature of the same kind already in the world, load another so it will have it's own behaviors. If you try to copy an existing one and try to give it special behaviors, it will apply to the others of the same kind as well.

2.) On the behavior window, click on the yellow bar on top to unlink it so that you can program it to act differently on a each act.

3.) Next to that same button on top there should be arrows to the left and right to change acts. Go through each one and click on the little eye next to the creature image to hide it for that selected act.

How do I get that zoomed in screen with the subtitles? my NPCs just talk in a little speech bubble in game.

You can only get this effect when the NPC is a goal. If you want your character to speak to several NPCs on one act, you can place up to 3 goals on each act. When you place a goal, make sure you click the Inspect/Talk to option.

Looking at the GA Manual I see a picture on teh front of a creature wearing armour and metal shoes, and holding guns. And a skirt? Where is that in GA?

Maxis always seems to do that. Some things you see are not what you can actually to but are just there to spruce up the appeal.

How do I size buildings and creatures? :@

Hold down shift and mouse wheel your subject.

gec05

« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2009, 12:59:48 pm »
Also, to get advanced behaviors, Ctrl+Click any standard behavior to open up the advanced behaviors. A side note, if your subject is going to have changes by acts, be sure to close the new window and reopen it when changing acts. Maxis forgot to program the advanced panel to show changes when shifting acts.

Offline Monster

• Video Pinball Wizard
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2009, 06:18:51 pm »
Where can I put my new parts on my captain? Which editor do  I go to and where is it!?
 ::)
edit: nevermind, found it.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2009, 07:05:00 pm by Monster »

Offline Bonemouse

• Battlezone Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2009, 06:46:47 pm »
Adventure Creation Video Tutorials

Terraforming
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o0-XzwAsJ5o" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o0-XzwAsJ5o</a>

Basic
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YflmPd_4fUk" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YflmPd_4fUk</a>

Intermediate
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tq6d0uMDULA" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tq6d0uMDULA</a>

Advanced
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IKHEFN6_zQg" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IKHEFN6_zQg</a>

Offline Ondaderthad

• Rigel Rescuer
    • View Profile
    • Area32 - Westgate Builders
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2009, 11:07:33 pm »

My Tip:

Plan your adventure in advance. (obvious) But because you can do any of the 3 objectives in each Act in any order you need to think about how to divide the story to get a logic flow.

For example if you have these:
1) talk to NPC A
2) kill creature B
3) return to NPC A

you get the wrong effect that the tasks 1 and 3 get finished first. The reason is that as soon as you finish conversation 1 then you are close enough to the NPC to also finish task 3

In that example you could keep the task 1 and 2 above but for 3 you need to send the Captain to a different point or ask to pickup something else.

If your adventure is just these 3 tasks then it's better to place the 3rd one in a second Act even all by itself. That way the player has to finish 1 and 2 before coming back to 3

just my 2 spices.

Offline DaMuncha

• Pack M.U.L.E.
  • GREAT SCOTTS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2009, 11:44:35 pm »
Ok. Thx. Another question.

Now that I've finished making my adventure I look at it in Sporpedia and its got 4 crappy screen shots I took while playing. How can I replace those screen shots with new ones?.... never mind I figured it out. You can change the screen shots in the tab where you set the adventure name.

Offline Hydromancerx

• Master of Orion
  • Klaatu Barada Nikto!
    • View Profile
    • Sagan 4
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2009, 12:37:47 am »
Ok. Thx. Another question.

Now that I've finished making my adventure I look at it in Sporpedia and its got 4 crappy screen shots I took while playing. How can I replace those screen shots with new ones?.... never mind I figured it out. You can change the screen shots in the tab where you set the adventure name.

I had this question too.

How do you add preview pictures to it besides the planet one?

When editing your adventure, take some snapshots. In the area where you name your adventure (just like any editor) there should be 4 boxes. The first one is the one shown on the Sporepedia card. The other 3 can be used for the details preview.

Offline Skyward

• Arm Wrestling Champ
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2009, 09:35:14 am »
I have a question, why cant I choose a captain I made in the captain editor to play as for quick play adventures?
Hell, Skyward Descent is pure win!
Quote from: Captain
I kill you in the name of DELICIOUS!

Offline Monster

• Video Pinball Wizard
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2009, 11:53:23 am »
Can I do this?: Set an effect as visible in one act, but then in the next act set it to invisible.

gec05

« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2009, 02:00:06 pm »
I have a question, why cant I choose a captain I made in the captain editor to play as for quick play adventures?

You cannot use captains that already have parts they were supposed to earn first. You can however use premade captains for your adventures that require you to play as them.

Can I do this?: Set an effect as visible in one act, but then in the next act set it to invisible.

Select said effect and open it's behavior options. Press the yellow bar on top to unsync it from all acts. Go through each act and click the little eye in the window to either hide it or show it per act. Hidden props and creatures are highlighted blue.

Offline Bonemouse

• Battlezone Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2009, 05:58:42 pm »
is there a way to make a spaceship or air vehicle not floating? Like have it on the ground. Or do I have to make a building that looks like a spaceship?

Offline pie

• Tempest Top Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2009, 06:42:58 pm »
You need to make a building that looks like a spaceship. Pretty much.