Author Topic: Genetic Evolution  (Read 57456 times)

Offline Raz

• Questron Serf
    • View Profile
Re: Genetic Evolution
« Reply #30 on: June 25, 2009, 08:24:50 pm »
That's what I'm saying. Elephants don't eat lichen. You should require such and such size of plant for such and such size of animal.

Offline madis

• Rigel Rescuer
  • The cousin of Tiberium.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 26, 2009, 12:00:11 am »
Perhaps animals could only eat plants of at least half their size?

Also can you evolve the one trait you choose to evolve multiple times?
« Last Edit: June 26, 2009, 12:02:24 am by madis »

Click on the picture.
Tick, tick, tick the time goes by,
tick, tick, tick the clock blows up.

Offline Flisch

• H.E.R.O. Rescue Worker
  • Banned - 17/07/15
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 26, 2009, 02:17:49 am »
That's what I'm saying. Elephants don't eat lichen. You should require such and such size of plant for such and such size of animal.
Well, no, if the herbivores can't eat the available plants, then they simply go extinct. And for the size, it simply doesn't matter: Mammoths (size 6) ate grass (3) while caterpillars (2) eat the leaves of plants up to any size. The only thing I could do would be to introduce a system that allows multiple herbivores to eat from the same plant, but I am not sure if that would be too complicated.

Also can you evolve the one trait you choose to evolve multiple times?
If you mean in one turn, then no, that's not possible. However you can evolve the same trait over the course of multiple turns.
There is, of course, a difference between having a laugh with someone, and having a laugh at their expense

Offline madis

• Rigel Rescuer
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 26, 2009, 02:25:12 am »
So, when will this start?

Click on the picture.

Offline Cyst

• Space Harrier
  • V 3 $ T H 3 T I C /// 新鮮な盗まれたアート
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 26, 2009, 09:30:36 am »
I would like to join this game as Team Water. Aquatic sentience is the future.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2009, 09:33:51 am by Bagder Man 22 »
DEATH TO DAESH! In solidarity with Rojava!
-----------
Oh come now, Lurk.

The internet is a magical place, where linguistic and dialectic possibilities are endless. Why not embrace those variations and see where they lead you.

Offline pie

• Wolfenstein Wunderkind
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 26, 2009, 11:52:12 am »
As in, if there aren't size 2 plants, there can't be size 2 animals in the same biome.

But what if there are size 5 plants?

You ask a lot of stupid questions, pie. If there are Size 5 plants, there should be Size 5 and down animals allowed.

To Flisch;

I'm saying they should be interelated. You should need a Size 2 plant to allow for Size 2 animal and such. Mostly because plants do not directly lead to a win, because they have no nervous system, so there is little point in making them, except for spare EPs, since they can't truely have biodiversity.

To be more exact, you don't have elephants with only lichen living in the area.
You said that if there are no Size 2 plants, there can be no animals larger than Size 2.

Offline Raz

• Questron Serf
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 26, 2009, 03:38:02 pm »
Why do you people insist on stupid things like trying to restrict yourself to a certain element or way of attack? If you make a team, it must be versatile, and adaptive, or you will fail in evolution.  :P

Offline Cyst

• Space Harrier
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 26, 2009, 04:04:56 pm »
So we have to think. Duh?
-----------
Oh come now, Lurk.

The internet is a magical place, where linguistic and dialectic possibilities are endless. Why not embrace those variations and see where they lead you.

Offline Putspooza

• Mr. Do! Disciple
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 26, 2009, 05:43:40 pm »
Raz is right, That's why I'm starting the VACAW team!

Versatile and Adaptive Creatures Always Win

We will not focus on a single way of development but instead rapidly adapt to whatever the environment demands, like a real evolving species should!

Offline Cyst

• Space Harrier
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 26, 2009, 05:46:06 pm »
Raz is right, That's why I'm starting the VACAW team!

Versatile and Adaptive Creatures Always Win

We will not focus on a single way of development but instead rapidly adapt to whatever the environment demands, like a real evolving species should!
Well I was planning on that too. Just having mostly aquatic/amphibious life.
-----------
Oh come now, Lurk.

Offline madis

• Rigel Rescuer
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 27, 2009, 02:38:18 am »
Why do you people insist on stupid things like trying to restrict yourself to a certain element or way of attack? If you make a team, it must be versatile, and adaptive, or you will fail in evolution.  :P
Because this runs on a simple system. There are simply attack points that you can explain whatever way you want and you still get the same bonuses.

Unless your talking about staying completely aquatic or herbivorous.

Click on the picture.

Offline Detoxicated

• Pack M.U.L.E.
  • Spirit of Monkey
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 27, 2009, 05:48:24 am »
why are you trying to get on everyones nerves? i mean honestly, you've got to chill... this is a game and if people want to play it one way who are you to tell them that they are stupid? I think flisch fleshed this out pretty well, yet you insist on critizising every little detail about it, even though you dont know how well it will play out...
OK, both of you die and let us know what happens.

Offline Raz

• Questron Serf
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 27, 2009, 02:24:27 pm »
Because it is stupid to limit yourself to aquatic or herbivorous, etc. That's asking to lose to the more adaptive team.

Offline Flisch

• H.E.R.O. Rescue Worker
  • Banned - 17/07/15
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 27, 2009, 02:40:16 pm »
OK, here is the lost Biome section that I forgot to put into the original post.

Biomes:
There is a variety of different biomes, categorized into three groups: marine, terrestrial and (for a lack of a better name) special biomes.

Each biome got different humidity and/or temperature values, but don't worry, these will be put on the map itself, so you don't have to worry about memorizing it. But for the sake of completeness below are listed all the different values for the biomes.

Terrestrial biomes:
A terrestrial biome cannot be inhabited by amphibian and aquatic species.
Temperature:
  • 1: All tropical biomes
  • 2: All subtropical biomes
  • 3: All temperate biomes
  • 4: All subpolar biomes
  • 5: None
  • 6: Polar (Note that species can't adapt for polar regions only using the temperature adaption, they will have to use abilities in order to raise their temperature adaption beyond 5.)

Humidity:
  • 1: Tropical humid & subtropical humid
  • 2: Tropical semihumid, subtropical semihumid & temperate humid
  • 3: Tropical moderate, temperate moderate & polar
  • 4: Tropical semiarid, subtropical semiarid & temperate arid
  • 5: Tropical arid & subtropical arid

Marine biomes:
A marine biome cannot be inhabited by amphibian and terrestrial species and plants. Shelves are the exception to this rule. Shelves are the only marine biomes where plants can exist and shelves that touch terrestrial biomes can harbour terrestrial and amphibic species, except for islands, since they support those types already by themselves.
Temperature:
  • 1: Tropical shelf & tropical ocean
  • 2: Subtropical shelf
  • 3: Temperate shelf & temperate ocean
  • 4: Subpolar shelf
  • 5: Polar shelf, polar ocean & deep sea (It's cold down there)

Marine species have no need for humidity adaptions.

Since special biomes have special rules to them, they are going to be explained in detail instead of just giving the values. Infact most special biomes don't have temperature/humidity values on their own.

River biome:
The river is a freshwater biome and can consist of multiple segments. Species can migrate from the river into the surrounding biome (a river never divides a biome into two) and vice versa as well as into neighboring river segments. A river's temperature value is equal to the one of the biome it's flowing through. If a river is flowing through different temperature zones, it will be divided into different segments which work as their own biomes. So, for example, if a river is starting in a temperate-humid biome, is flowing through a temperate-moderate biome then through a subtropical-semiarid biome and ends in a temperate-moderate biome, then it will be divided into three parts: First temperate, subtropical and second temperate, where it doesn't matter if the two temperate-moderate biomes are the same.
Rivers can be inhabited by terrestrial, amphibian and aquatic species.

Mountain biome:
Mountains are only different from other terrestrial biomes that they have their own temperature/humidity values no matter where on the map they're located. Their temperature value is 4 and their humidity value is 5. (Snow-covered mountains are treated as polar biomes.) Furthermore, due to the lack of soil, only plants with a nutrient tolerance of 1 can live in the mountains.

Insular biomes:
Insular biomes have no actual value on their own and are always one other biome at the same time. The two biomes Lake and Island work very similarly, though they are diametrically opposed: Lakes can only be found on continents while islands only exist in the open oceans. Both biomes can be inhabited by terrestrial, amphibian and aquatic species.
The big advantage about insular biomes is that the EP gain from species living in these biomes is doubled. (After all the subtractions.) However, they have a short life-span and will generally last only one round, before they disappear. Due to this they won't be named by the players.
Insular biomes can form in two ways. First they 'pop' into existence. That means spontaneous erruptions or earthquakes can create new islands or lakes. The second way is more predictable: Due to tectonic movements some biomes can shrink in size up to the point that they are small enough to be considered islands/lakes. This happens only when they are cut from the continent (island) or the ocean (lake). Of course The reverse may happen as well, so that islands and lakes may turn into proper biomes and thus losing their EP doubling ability..

Naming biomes:
To identify the different biomes, players can give them names. When the first species is populating a biome (and survives) the creator team may give the biome any name they wish, as long as it is within good taste and abides by the forum rules. (Each river segment is considered its own biome.)

So, when will this start?
Well, this is nothing to rush through, so I will take my time. I put this up early for people to point out flaws and to ask questions, but don't expect this to start in the next few days.

Also I won't start this game unless I have at least three teams with at least two members each.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2009, 04:16:04 pm by Flisch »
There is, of course, a difference between having a laugh with someone, and having a laugh at their expense

Offline pie

• Wolfenstein Wunderkind
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 27, 2009, 05:32:38 pm »
I'll join Team Shock, they'll need me. You'll know why later.