Author Topic: Galactic Adventures Review  (Read 3351 times)

Offline Prok

• Fire Truck Driver
    • View Profile
Galactic Adventures Review
« on: June 24, 2009, 06:11:52 am »
Hey everyone, if you haven't see it yet there's a review of Galactic Adventures up on Eurogamer.net

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/spore-galactic-adventures-review

It seems pretty fair, and they usually judge games harshly over there so that's pretty good.  The guy even takes into account the relative lack of enthusiasm for Spore following its release.

For the most part, the review has stuff most of us already know.  However, concerning the quest rewards he says, "You can trade these points in for increasingly-cool new upgrades that can then be equipped on the inventory (customisation) screen or used in the main galactic war."  Does anyone who bought the game already have any info on this "main galactic war"?

Edit: There's also reviews at Gamespot

http://uk.gamespot.com/pc/strategy/sporegalacticadventures/review.html?om_act=convert&om_clk=gssummary&tag=summary;read-review

And IGN

http://pc.ign.com/articles/997/997304p1.html
« Last Edit: June 24, 2009, 06:33:18 am by Prok »

Offline Beatnuki

• Scramble Skipper
  • Wilco Hex, reporting for duty!
    • View Profile
    • Beatnuki's Chunk of Funk (which seemed like a good idea at the time)
Re: Galactic Adventures Review
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2009, 07:52:23 am »
Thanks for these, I'd only seen the IGN one beforehand.  :)

Luckily, everyone's so down on Spore after, you know what happened that the fact that making adventures and so on is so enjoyable and adds a little more gameplay seems to take them by surprise.

No clue what the 'main galactic war' thing is though... a Grox-themed set of adventures maybe? I won't know until at least Friday. Not... long... now...

Why, God, why did you make me an Englishman?  :P
If you peruse my things, you get POINTS!
http://www.spore.com/view/profile/Beatnuki

Only trouble is, they're Whose Line Is It Anyway points, which are infamously not worth anything.

Offline Cow

• Track and Field Jock
  • Rad.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2009, 12:11:54 pm »
So he could see you squirm! Mwahahahahaha!

*cough*

Yes, well... I'll just be on my way, then.

Offline Ondaderthad

• Rigel Rescuer
    • View Profile
    • Area32 - Westgate Builders
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2009, 09:55:10 pm »

Does anyone who bought the game already have any info on this "main galactic war"?

Yes.. They mean the Space Stage.

When I started with GA there was only 2 adventures posted and one of them was mine  :o
And since you can get score only once per adventure for each captain, there was not many chances to even get offered an adventure in Space Stage.

But last night I had another try with a Space Stage Captain and did get to play a user created adventure. A couple of other missions were of the standard go-collect-a-creature-on-a-planet kind but I guess that with more and more adventures being uploaded it will get more interesting.

Another interesting point:
Because you start with a newbie captain, you are offered only easy missions, ie. difficulty 1 , so all the adventures with huge epic creatures able to kill you in one hit do not appear in Space Stage yet.
Even after playing the half dozen high score (100 points) Maxis adventures, your captain is still only 2nd level. User created adventures pay only about 10 or 15 points. And you get points only once each... so it takes a lot of adventuring to get high level. (which is good IMO)

Offline Stromko

• Phoenix Fighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2009, 10:13:41 pm »
Personally I'd rather level up each captain in a reasonable span of missions (about 15 - 20, maybe 50 to get all the upgrades), then start over again with a new captain. I don't care how awesome a species is, after you've been playing it for days you get pretty tired of looking at it. It seems like it'll take a week to hit level 10 or so the way it is now, and that's pretty much constant play.

Offline Beatnuki

• Scramble Skipper
  • Wilco Hex, reporting for duty!
    • View Profile
    • Beatnuki's Chunk of Funk (which seemed like a good idea at the time)
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2009, 04:32:45 am »
The longer timescale of levelling up seems to add longevity, though whether there's enough incentive and whether it ends up a chore or not remains to be seen I guess.

Thanks for the advice about the difficult ratings Ondaderthad; that'll help me fine-tune my adventures (some of which will; shock! not involve combat!) to a more newbie-captain-friendly level.  ;D Which may mean more exposure!

Just gotta hold out until tomorrow...
If you peruse my things, you get POINTS!
http://www.spore.com/view/profile/Beatnuki

Only trouble is, they're Whose Line Is It Anyway points, which are infamously not worth anything.