Author Topic: Da Vinci Code  (Read 14114 times)

Offline Interitus

• Mr. Do! Disciple
  • You just blipped on my radar
    • View Profile
Re: Da Vinci Code
« Reply #30 on: May 12, 2006, 09:43:37 am »
I think the important thing to walk away with this book has nothing to do with Jesus at all. More that things aren't always what they seem to be. a Pentacle can be a ancient pagan symbol, not a sign of satan. A swastika can be a holy symbol that was merely perverted by the Nazi's. The cross does not mean someone is christian. I could go on forever. The point is so many of us have it engrained in our head that certain things mean this. If this book at least opened they eyes for some people to view all kinds of symbols with a more open mind then I think all the better.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2006, 03:05:18 pm by Interitus »
My karma ran over your dogma

Offline JakeCourtney

• Vanguard Venturer
  • The Godfather
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 21, 2006, 05:57:32 pm »
It's a good book, nice idea too.

Offline crippits

• Donkey Kong King
  • Insert Llama noise here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 23, 2006, 07:41:22 am »
it may be a good book, but the movie was lackluster.

Bow before the Llamas! They demand your respect!

Offline Lambsquirter

• Megamania Megalomaniac
  • Don't play with your food
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 23, 2006, 07:28:46 pm »
never read the book, never seen the movie, and probably never will, not into any religious things like this.
Under construction

Offline crippits

• Donkey Kong King
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 23, 2006, 08:19:47 pm »
it's honestly not as religious as i thought it would be. Though i can see why the Catholic Church is not pleased, but then again, anytime they are in the media, they usually are not pictured as wholly "holy".

Offline PHI-1618

• Star Wars Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 23, 2006, 10:45:25 pm »
it's honestly not as religious as i thought it would be. Though i can see why the Catholic Church is not pleased, but then again, anytime they are in the media, they usually are not pictured as wholly "holy".

Nor are they usually pictured as pleased. ;)

Offline 762

• Goddess of Phobos
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 24, 2006, 03:37:02 pm »
I'm reading it right now

SPOILER
I'm at the part where they're flying to London with Silas tied in the back of the plane.

Spore countdowns: USA Europe

Offline Leng

• Crystal Castle Gem Eater
  • !?!?
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 24, 2006, 05:35:52 pm »
i hope i'm not spoiling it but the answer to the cryptex is too F-ing easy
I have been told
not by one but two of my lovers
that I've got a heart of gold
but I'm unable to share it with others
They call me a poet who'll never have a poem
a tiger with no taste for bone
I'm the wonderful wonderful wizard who's waltzing alone

Offline crippits

• Donkey Kong King
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 25, 2006, 08:14:21 am »
yeah i kinda groaned when they said what it was.

Offline PHI-1618

• Star Wars Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 25, 2006, 08:26:04 am »
i hope i'm not spoiling it but the answer to the cryptex is too F-ing easy

I don't think you're spoiling anything by saying that. It's like saying that the lava boss in Super Mario Galaxy is too easy. Okay. At least you didn't tell us why; that might be spoilerish.

Offline Interitus

• Mr. Do! Disciple
  • You just blipped on my radar
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 25, 2006, 04:15:44 pm »
I don't think you're spoiling anything by saying that. It's like saying that the lava boss in Super Mario Galaxy is too easy. Okay. At least you didn't tell us why; that might be spoilerish.

Spoilers! It was a lava boss! No you ruined the whole game for me  ;)
My karma ran over your dogma

Offline 762

• Goddess of Phobos
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 25, 2006, 04:32:32 pm »
Yeah, it was way too easy. They're busting their asses trying to figure it out through elaborate measures, when the answer should have been fairly obvious since they got it.

Spore countdowns: USA Europe

Offline Bastardman

• Robotron Automaton
  • Dawn of the Final Day (24 hours remain)
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 28, 2006, 05:05:12 am »
I'd also like a to point out that ONE OF THEM IS A @#!!()& CRYPTOGRAPHER and they STILL can't figure out basic riddles that any five-year-old would decipher with ease.

There's also the fact that the shocking twist towards the end makes absolutely no sense whatsoever, the so-called "FACTS" at the start of the book aren't, the characters are utterly 2-dimensional and Brown's writing style is completely uninspired. I'm of the opinion that the crappiness of the books is actually the "greatest coverup in human history" referred to in the movie trailers.

The only good thing about the book is that it showed the world what a great marketing machine Catholic outrage can be, because if they hadn't been so offended by it, you can be damn sure it wouldn't have had the publicity necessary to make a bestselller out of a truly dire book.

Offline huggkruka

• Space Ace
  • Totally powers
    • View Profile
    • My Digitalart.org profile
« Reply #43 on: May 29, 2006, 01:08:27 pm »
I'd also like a to point out that ONE OF THEM IS A @#!!()& CRYPTOGRAPHER and they STILL can't figure out basic riddles that any five-year-old would decipher with ease.

There's also the fact that the shocking twist towards the end makes absolutely no sense whatsoever, the so-called "FACTS" at the start of the book aren't, the characters are utterly 2-dimensional and Brown's writing style is completely uninspired. I'm of the opinion that the crappiness of the books is actually the "greatest coverup in human history" referred to in the movie trailers.

The only good thing about the book is that it showed the world what a great marketing machine Catholic outrage can be, because if they hadn't been so offended by it, you can be damn sure it wouldn't have had the publicity necessary to make a bestselller out of a truly dire book.

QFT! Dan Brown's Digital Fortress came out in Sweden recently and recieved horrible criticism. The same critics loved Da Vinci though. Can't work that out... the books are almost identical!

Offline Daxx

• Golden Axe Battler
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 29, 2006, 01:09:20 pm »
Hint: the reviewers for the Da Vinci Code were brown-nosing. They thought both books were terrible.