Author Topic: Da Vinci Code  (Read 14351 times)

Offline crippits

• Donkey Kong King
  • Insert Llama noise here.
    • View Profile
Re: Da Vinci Code
« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2006, 06:43:00 am »
Joy!! i get to spread genes just so in a few million years our descendants have a third arm. Go evolution!

Bow before the Llamas! They demand your respect!

Offline LoreAlmighty

• Asteroids Aficionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2006, 10:43:05 pm »
The Da Vinci Code is insane, period.

Offline crippits

• Donkey Kong King
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2006, 06:17:55 am »
i had heard that the theories and information that was used was long since proved bunk, anyway. Or the sources that were used in research were discredited.

Offline mik

• Brain Games Mastermind
    • View Profile
    • The Fanboys
« Reply #18 on: January 28, 2006, 09:13:47 pm »
Discredited? It's a novel. And not a very good one.

Offline crippits

• Donkey Kong King
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 30, 2006, 07:31:49 am »
yes discredited. He had to do some research, and the ideas he chose to write about weren't legit. However, this wont stop tons of people from believing it.

Offline mik

• Brain Games Mastermind
    • View Profile
    • The Fanboys
« Reply #20 on: January 30, 2006, 08:46:22 am »
If people believe what they read in a novel, they have larger issues to deal with.

Offline djwjlaumen

• Space Invaders Junkie
    • View Profile
    • http://blog.dfile.nl
« Reply #21 on: January 30, 2006, 08:52:22 am »
The problem is that the book states that everything is based on "facts" (whatever those are ;)). This is offcourse complete nonsense. The books really exciting though. As a novel... not very good... As a couple of hours of entertainment.... damn fine!
"I am, because we are."

Offline mik

• Brain Games Mastermind
    • View Profile
    • The Fanboys
« Reply #22 on: January 30, 2006, 09:06:13 am »
I just looked over the entire book and don't see anywhere that it proclaims it's "based on facts." About the closest thing to that is the statement that it was "meticulously researched" which I'm certain it was.

Offline djwjlaumen

• Space Invaders Junkie
    • View Profile
    • http://blog.dfile.nl
« Reply #23 on: January 30, 2006, 09:54:07 am »
I am not at home right now so I can't check which page it is. I checked it this afternoon though and it's a page before the first chapter.
"I am, because we are."

Offline LadyM

• Mortal Kombat Konqueror
  • I'm not confused anymore
    • View Profile
    • LadyMpire
« Reply #24 on: January 30, 2006, 10:32:46 am »
I have my still very new, unread copy of the book right in front of me. I believe it's classified as fiction... "All of the characters and events in this book are fictitious and any resemblance to actual persons living or dead, is purely coincidental."

However, it does say before the first chapter: All descriptions of artwork, architecture, documents and secret rituals in the novel are accurate.

I take that to mean that he used accurate art and documents to make up a good novel. I guess I really should read this book soon.  :-\

Offline crippits

• Donkey Kong King
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 30, 2006, 11:40:21 am »
However, it does say before the first chapter: All descriptions of artwork, architecture, documents and secret rituals in the novel are accurate.

Which can be very misleading.  Also if someone has "meticulously researched" a topic, to those people who haven't Meticulously researched said topic, they are going to take his word for it nine times out of ten.

Offline mik

• Brain Games Mastermind
    • View Profile
    • The Fanboys
« Reply #26 on: January 30, 2006, 12:24:55 pm »
Every novelist researches their topic. Just because Chuck Palahniuk meticulously researched 12-step programs and how to make soap, that doesn't make me think Fight Club is supposed to be a true story.

Offline crippits

• Donkey Kong King
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 30, 2006, 12:35:47 pm »
then you are certainly above the rest...

Because he researched, it is strange to see the "facts" that he chose to write about.

Offline Leng

• Crystal Castle Gem Eater
  • !?!?
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 31, 2006, 07:15:00 pm »
well if he writes about england, and turns out to be completely bogus (as some english people have said) and then writes about mary magdelene...
I have been told
not by one but two of my lovers
that I've got a heart of gold
but I'm unable to share it with others
They call me a poet who'll never have a poem
a tiger with no taste for bone
I'm the wonderful wonderful wizard who's waltzing alone

Offline PHI-1618

• Star Wars Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 05, 2006, 07:17:15 am »
While in Japan, it was hard to find English language books but there were Dan Brown novels everywhere so I ended up picking up DaVinci Code based on hearing so much about it. I completed the book despite the fact that I feel Dan Brown isn't a good enough writer to produce his premise to its fullest potential. Because the premise of the book is really good; the premises behind many of his books tend to be good. But that doesn't save the fact that he is terrible with characters and dialogue. There are moments of cleverness scattered throughout the book that keep you with it, but so much of what he's actually written takes you out of the story entirely because, quite frankly, it reads like a high school play.

My best friend and I came up with a solution to this problem: Dan Brown needs a co-writer. We don't care who. So long as they can turn a phrase, build in character moments that help define the characters to such an extent that you remember them and not just the situation they're in. Someone to take his plots, which are ordinarily quite good, and turn them into something really special. Because he comes up with stories that I would like to read if he didn't handle them so poorly. Here's hoping the film's screenwriter can interject a bit more humanity into the story's key figures.