Author Topic: Da Vinci Code  (Read 14356 times)

Offline Secret|Service

• Rigel Rescuer
  • FOXHOUND
    • View Profile
Da Vinci Code
« on: November 26, 2005, 11:14:33 am »
I'm reading it right now... it's similar to Brown's other famous work, Angels and Demons. Personally, the latter seems better, but I haven't finished this one yet, so I have to see.
If you have read both books, tell me which one you think is better. I'll post my opinion once I'm done.

I'm on a highway to hell.

Offline Secret|Service

• Rigel Rescuer
  • FOXHOUND
    • View Profile
Re: Da Vinci Code
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2005, 06:52:05 pm »
I just finished the book, and I have to say, Dan Brown has definitly done his research and made a thought provoking book that have relased at "the right time", just like the mission of the Priory Brotherhood (have to read the book to understand what I just said)

The book is not long, but on the contrary, a must read in my opinion. It could help you to define your purpose in life, since in this day and age, many people are losing faith in their religion and not being able to find the purpose of life.

In the Da Vinci Code, Brown makes a reference to history, that it is written only from the winners Point of View, that things are being biased unknowingly. It mentions how back when the Bible was first put up by Constantine the Great, that he killed heretics. The word "heretic", which eventually translates to the people who chose, in latin, were the ones who honored other gosples of the bible that were purposely destroyed by Constantine to impose this patriac dominace by popularizing a male-over-female religion. Thus, the winners won, and a society like today eventually evolved. I think Angels and Demons compliments this book, in terms of describing how people are turning to science, because there are no "winners" or "losers" because the truth is the truth. But on the contrary, the "truth" of science doesn't answer questions like why are we here and what is our purpose.

These are just some provoking thoughts of a 15-year-old, which I find could be applied to people who are mature enough to understand what I'm saying.
I still belive in God, but I do not think Jesus is divine, or that strict rules should be followed accoriding to the Bible, or that God had made a prophet. I believe that something or someone out there made this wonderful would possible, and that we should all enjoy it while we can. And I thank God for that cause right now, it's the only explaination I can give.

Offline Pir0

• Lunar Lander Leader
  • Dolphin Rave!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2005, 12:37:09 am »
Lots of great ideas and filled to the brim with controversy, but the writing sucked.

Giant murderer albino monk? Typical attractive female heroine that has a secret past?

Some of this stuff is absolutely absurd.

Common. Giant Murderer Albino Monk.

Life of Pi is a way better book.

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2005, 03:11:07 am »
But on the contrary, the "truth" of science doesn't answer questions like why are we here and what is our purpose.

not wanting to turn this into another religion thread but were here by random chance and our purpose in life is to selfishly pass on as much of our DNA to the next generation while ensuring the survival of the race as a whole.

Regarding the book, I havent read it just because it so hyped. It seems like everyone has to have read it. Maybe when everyone forgets what it was about I'll pick it up.
Sam is basically right, he's just cranky.

Offline LadyM

• Mortal Kombat Konqueror
  • I'm not confused anymore
    • View Profile
    • LadyMpire
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2005, 06:15:36 am »
You know, I have this book with every intention of reading it but it sits on the shelf because I haven't been in reading mood in a very long time. :P However, I watched some specials on TV about it.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2005, 03:47:37 pm by LadyM »

Offline Secret|Service

• Rigel Rescuer
  • FOXHOUND
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2005, 10:47:23 am »
Life of Pi is a way better book.

I've actually read life of Pi, it just didn't keep me interested long enought for some reason...

Offline djwjlaumen

• Space Invaders Junkie
    • View Profile
    • http://blog.dfile.nl
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2006, 09:54:46 am »
The Da Vinci Code was truly an exciting book. The "Each-Chapter-Another-Cliffhanger"-style workd pretty well but as Pir0 already stated.... the writing really sucks! The characters are really too 2D to be taken seriously and the story has some implausible twists and turns.

It was an enjoyable read though! The reason it was enjoyable is because the story is extremely thrilling and fast-paced. That's probably all that was good about the book but because it's so well done it really works...

Curious about the film though...
"I am, because we are."

Offline crippits

• Donkey Kong King
  • Insert Llama noise here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2006, 01:03:27 pm »
not wanting to turn this into another religion thread but were here by random chance and our purpose in life is to selfishly pass on as much of our DNA to the next generation while ensuring the survival of the race as a whole.

also not wanting to start a debate, but what if you had a wife. (assuming you don't for some reason) Would it then be OK for some other man to selfishly spread his DNA through your wife in order to keep the race surviving? Science doe not explain morality.

Bow before the Llamas! They demand your respect!

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2006, 01:38:14 pm »
You misunderstand. The purpose of life is for ME to pass MY genes to as many people as possible. From that viewpoint I f I commited adultery then I would be fine with that, but anyone sleeping with my hypothetical wife is out. (hence selfish gene)

Offline crippits

• Donkey Kong King
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2006, 01:51:52 pm »
so the purpose of life is all about you...

Offline Leng

• Crystal Castle Gem Eater
  • !?!?
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2006, 02:31:16 pm »
thou shalt not covet krakow sam's wife..

seems accurate, there are always flukes though

come to think of it, that whole dynamic may be one ongoing dysfunction.
I have been told
not by one but two of my lovers
that I've got a heart of gold
but I'm unable to share it with others
They call me a poet who'll never have a poem
a tiger with no taste for bone
I'm the wonderful wonderful wizard who's waltzing alone

Offline crippits

• Donkey Kong King
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2006, 02:36:55 pm »
come to think of it, that whole dynamic may be one ongoing dysfunction.

especially if Krakow Sam's genes are allowed to spread, now that's dysfunction.  <--note sarcasm

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2006, 02:45:37 pm »
You clearly missed the point that from your perspective the purpose of life is to pass on your own genes and i'm the one who shouldnt be allowed to. Thats how life works.

Offline crippits

• Donkey Kong King
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2006, 10:38:38 pm »
hmmm... sounds disappointing if that's all there is...

Offline Leng

• Crystal Castle Gem Eater
  • !?!?
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2006, 11:51:37 pm »
there's evolution.. EVOLUTION!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I have been told
not by one but two of my lovers
that I've got a heart of gold
but I'm unable to share it with others
They call me a poet who'll never have a poem
a tiger with no taste for bone
I'm the wonderful wonderful wizard who's waltzing alone