Author Topic: The Gamers' List Of Required Playing  (Read 6667 times)

Offline Didero

• Turkey Shoot Terminator
    • View Profile
The Gamers' List Of Required Playing
« on: June 23, 2009, 01:02:09 am »
I've gotten into gaming relatively late. I've never owned a NES, Playstation or even a GameCube. My first console was a PlayStation 2. I had dabbled in simple PC games before that, but not enough to really call myself a gamer. Because of this, I feel I've missed a lot of great games that had a great influence on gaming, or at least on gamers.
And that brings me to the topic of this thread: What do you feel are games that everybody that calls themselves a gamer should have played? They can be games for every platform and from every year, but the main aim of this thread is to collect a list of relatively old but important games.

Offline pie

• Wolfenstein Wunderkind
    • View Profile
Re: The Gamers' List Of Required Playing
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2009, 04:39:36 am »
The first and third XCOM. And SimEarth. Definitely.

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2009, 06:58:50 am »
I'll throw down my short list. There are more, but if I had to pick ten games for someone these are about it. Uh, I'm only going to list the systems that a game is worth getting for. Deus Ex, for example, has a PlayStation counterpart but it's crap and you shouldn't play it there.

Banjo-Kazooie -N64/Live Arcade
Chrono Trigger - SNES/DS
Deus Ex - PC
Final Fantasy VII - PlayStation/PSN
The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time - N64/GameCube/Wii
Mike Tyson's Punch-Out!! - NES
Myst - Mac/PC
Sim City 2000 - PC
StarCraft - PC
Super Mario 64 - N64/Wii
Yoshi's Island - SNES

I know that's 11 but... shh.

Offline Didero

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2009, 08:26:20 am »
Would you mind explaining why you think those games are vital for any gamer to play?
« Last Edit: June 23, 2009, 11:52:06 am by Doomsday »

Offline Celdur

• R-Type Force Pod
  • :33
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2009, 08:42:52 am »
because pat plays them 10 times a year >.>
they arnt really vital though...no games are

they are still very good(although deus ex didnt age well)

you should try some metroid games
i think you'd love prime >.> its going to be rereleased on the wii soon as a bundle

Quote from: Krakow sam
That quote is actualy very witty, Celdur. I suggest you use that in your signature.

Offline Skyward

• Ballblazer Plasmorb
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2009, 08:43:20 am »
I have to agree with Myst, those were the games that got me into gaming. Every day, my dad would play it and my brother and I would help him with the puzzles.
Hell, Skyward Descent is pure win!
Quote from: Captain
I kill you in the name of DELICIOUS!

Offline Grangan

• Q*Bert Qrazy
  • We're all mad here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2009, 09:11:54 am »
Half-Life (original or 2)
Portal
Twas Brillig and the slithy toves did gyre and gimble in the wabe, all mimsy were the borogoves and the mome raths outgrabe.

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2009, 09:24:02 am »
Sure thing! I edited the list and removed Mario 64. This will be explained.

Banjo-Kazooie -N64/Live Arcade
This game is a fantastic 3D platformer and arguably one of the best ever made. It took the formula pioneered by Mario 64 and made it better. The storyline is quirky and the script is funny. Level design is absolutely incredible. Each level is strong and unique and slowly builds toward the conclusion Balancing is nearly flawless; though, the game is on the easy side. The final boss fight is the best I've ever seen. It is challenging and fun and you really feel like you've accomplished something when it's all said and done. Even better, there's a sequel! Banjo-Tooie is almost as good as the first game and will offer you even more fun.

Chrono Trigger - SNES/DS
As far as RPGs go, Chrono Trigger is on the easy side; however, that should not stop you from playing it. The story is solid and the gameplay is fun. This game contains the best battle system I've ever seen. They took the ATB system and polished it to a mirror shine. Characters are interesting and there is a good array of side quests. There is quite a bit to be found in Chrono Trigger if you're willing to look. Again, there's a sequel to this game that is VERY good. Some have even gone so far to say that the sequel surpasses the original.

Deus Ex - PC
There's no way to skirt around the issue. Not only is Deus Ex one of the best First Person Shooters, it's one of the best games. You have a top notch story about government conspiracies and a branching path that leads to multiple endings. RPG elements help you customize your character and you can finish the game without firing a single shot if you so desire. Unfortunately, Deus Ex has not aged well but if you can look past the visuals you are in for a real treat. This is the pinnacle of gaming and very few games can even come close to Deus Ex.

Final Fantasy VII - PlayStation/PSN
Another RPG! FFVII is a very good game. Some of the fanboys may overstate just how good it is; however if you're the kind of person that won't play a game because other people love it... well, I don't think you'll ever be a real gamer. What you have with Final Fantasy VII is a fairly standard story but it has been polished up. The characters are your typical long haired, big-weapon-toting young adults out to save the world. There are tons of awesome moments in FFVII. The best part of the game is the Materia system. Basically that's how you augment your character's stats and give them magic abilities. It's a personal favorite of mine because you can literally play the game 1,000 times and never have the same loadout.

The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time - N64/GameCube/Wii
What hasn't been said about this game? If Zelda is the best franchise in gaming... and if Ocarina of Time is the best Zelda game... then what does that mean? Ocarina of Time is an incredibly well-made action adventure game. Solid story and pretty good characters. The world is what makes this game shine. You have over ten temples to fight through and a fair amount of side quests to deal with. Lots of collectibles are out there to be found too! There's a culture around this game which can enhance the experience or make it worse. Take the game at face value and ignore the fanboys.

Mike Tyson's Punch-Out!! - NES
There's nothing quite like Punch-Out!! for the NES. It's all about the timing in this game and you can't brute force your way to the big guy. While things may start off easy, they're going to get tough. Characters are memorable and deliciously stereotyped! Punch-Out!! is a simple game, it's all gameplay and very little story. It's got that arcade appeal, you can play it again and again.

Myst - Mac/PC
When it comes to Adventure games there's nothing like Myst. It is part of genre that is more or less dead nowadays. Gamers have become too impatient to figure out the wild puzzles that games like Myst present. With Myst, you have a game that blazed a new path for gaming as a whole. Even today Myst looks pretty good and its sequels are almost photo realistic. This is not a game for the faint of heart. You are going to need a pad of paper to take notes and you're going to need a keen eye to spot many of the hidden clues. And hey, maybe Myst will get you interested in Adventure games (my favorite genre). Some of the best examples of "games as art" are found here and there's a lot of fun. Beyond Myst you have four sequels, three spin-offs, and several well-written books; also, games like Grim Fandango and The Longest Journey are truly a joy to experience.

Sim City 2000 - PC
City Builders are another type of game that has been down on its luck lately. Sim City practically made the genre and has more or less driven it. Sim City 2000 is the best of the bunch. It's simple and fun and no game is ever the same as the one before it. You know what they say... it's good to be king. In Sim City you dictate how the urban jungle will be laid out and have to manage taxes, happiness, crime, and all sorts of things that happen in the real world. It's also fun to destroy your city with the included disasters. Giant floating robot alien!!

StarCraft - PC
StarCraft is Real Time Strategy in its purest form. There's a reason why millions of people still play it today. You have three very different and very balanced factions fighting it out for control of the universe. On the single player front you have a pretty good story, but it's nothing spectacular. The Brood War expansion pack offers even more possibilities and doesn't throw the balance of the original. If you like RTS, you're going to love StarCraft!

Yoshi's Island - SNES
I'm shocked I didn't have more 2D platformers on this list; though, looking back I need to give a shout out to Super Metroid. It's the best 2D platformer on this list. So we're just gong to make this about Super Metroid now. Get Super Metroid for the Super Nintendo ASAP! It's phenomenal!! You've got a good sized game that builds on the original Metroid formula and improves it a thousand times over. There's challenge and at least a few bits of critical thinking. Tons of unlockables that you can ignore if you so desire. The best part is that the game is short enough so that you can go back and replay and try to get a better time. Super Metroid is a favorite for speed runners.

Also though, Yoshi's Island is my favorite Mario game. Yeah, Mario 3 is great but Yoshi's Island is just plain awesome. Levels are very cool and the egg-shooting mechanic with Yoshi leads to a lot of interesting situations. Bosses are incredible and the final boss is absolutely amazing. The game is pretty long too and if you're going for 100 percent completion prepare to work for it. Later levels are hard and trying to get all of the coins and flowers and stars in each is... really hard. Definitely put Yoshi's Island on your list.

Hope that helps! :)

Offline Celdur

• R-Type Force Pod
  • :33
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2009, 09:35:27 am »
i like yoshis island more too :P

better everything basicly >.>

anyway myst is a very good idea to try out.
i only played 1 and 4 but they are very cool, all the fantasy areas you visit are all really interesting places that you wont see anywhere else
and the puzzles are satisfying to beat

Quote from: Krakow sam
That quote is actualy very witty, Celdur. I suggest you use that in your signature.

Offline Yannick

• Tetris Tumbler
  • The end is nigh
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2009, 11:48:31 am »
let me explain the NNNNOOO. Mike Tyson's Punchout was one of the first games I ever played. The huge Mike Tyson beating me to pulp in one hit is haunting my memories.

"It's only your virginity, loosen up!"

Offline Plank of Wood

• Final Fighter
  • Ka-Boom!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2009, 03:04:10 pm »
Worms and Theme Hospital.
the real saviour of this forum

Offline Cobra

• All Your Base Zero Wing
  • People want ducks.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2009, 05:08:23 pm »
The best part is that the game is short enough so that you can go back and replay and try to get a better time. Super Metroid is a favorite for speed runners.

Lets not forget that the faster you beat the game the nakeder Samus gets at the end.

Yoshi's island though that game was a masterpiece the music from the final battle still makes the hairs on the back of my neck stand on end when i hear it. That tune just embodies the word epic. Throw in the battle against Raphael Raven one of my all time favourite boss battles I really wish that battle was longer though. Beautiful game the DS sequal isn't as good but worth the nostolgia hit all the same.

Offline Huckbuck

• Balloon Fight Aerialist
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2009, 02:40:59 am »
Some games that come to my mind that haven't been mentioned;

Mount & Blade
The best combat system I have ever seen in a game. It is new so you have probably played it, if you haven't, do so! Multiplayer will come this fall too.

Heroes of Might and Magic 3

This turn based strategy/RPG hasn't gotten the best combat system nor the best storyline, but it beats many games when it comes to pure multiplayer fun! Singleplayer is almost as good, but not quite.

GTA 1 or 2
Back then this sandbox type of game surely was revolutionary, it doesn't matter if you decide to play the storyline or just blow up everything you see just 'cause, it still is very much enjoyable.

Rome: Total War
The best Total War in my opinion, and the best strategy game in my opinion. While maybe not appealing to the extreme micromanagement freaks the detailed battles with numerous units combined with the well made campaign map makes this game pure awesomeness that still can be enjoyed, for me more so than many new games (like that one sided Empire: Total War).

That is just a few from the top of my head, 4 quite different games, all of wich are more or less revolutions in gaming except maybe for Heroes. (Mount & Blade is a little to early to say, but I believe it will change the way many game developers in the future develop their combat system.)
@davidramnero

Offline Didero

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2009, 11:02:42 am »
Oh, one game I have played that I think has been rather influential is Monkey Island. It had a great storyline, and a fairly groundbreaking use of music, especially MI 2. And it has of course great humour. And no, Monkey Island 4 doesn't exist >_>

But that could just be the fanboy in me talking :P

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2009, 01:23:43 pm »
Dungeon Keeper

The first one and its expansion ONLY. DK2 was decidedly average and its extremely primitive graphics actually look worse today than DK1s sprites.

That said, the original DK is a testament to the fact Peter Moleneux actually did used to make good games. REALLY good games.

Worms
I would say any Worms game up to Armageddon qualifies, anything after that, not so much.

You are not a gamer unless you've played a hotseat worms match with your friends and poked/baseballbatted/bazooka'd your opponent's last worm off a cliff/into a mine/into your own worm so its death explosion finishes you off as well.
Sam is basically right, he's just cranky.

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #15 on: June 24, 2009, 01:42:03 pm »
I'll throw Worms 3D into that. A lot of people don't like it but I thought it was a ton of fun.

Offline Plank of Wood

• Final Fighter
  • Ka-Boom!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 24, 2009, 02:00:45 pm »
I'll throw Worms 3D into that. A lot of people don't like it but I thought it was a ton of fun.

Agreed.
the real saviour of this forum

Offline Yannick

• Tetris Tumbler
  • The end is nigh
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 24, 2009, 02:01:28 pm »
I didn't like Worms 3D that much. Maybe because it didn't have that worms playstyle.

"It's only your virginity, loosen up!"

Offline Huckbuck

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 24, 2009, 04:12:14 pm »

I only played it twice, but I must say it worked well. Armageddon beats it for me though, maybe because of nostalgia though. I got that game when I was 5 and it was the first game I played more than causally, I played it for many years as well.
@davidramnero

Offline Cobra

• People want ducks.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 24, 2009, 11:43:36 pm »
You are not a gamer unless you've played a hotseat worms match with your friends and poked/baseballbatted/bazooka'd your opponent's last worm off a cliff/into a mine/into your own worm so its death explosion finishes you off as well.

What nooooo! that... how... but... no fair *fetal positon from bad memories* oh but it was fun, play again?

Offline eropS

• Out Run Speedster
  • That's right, I went there
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 24, 2009, 11:47:18 pm »

Pffft, personally I preferred sending my last worm next to my brothers last two and plopping a holy hand grenade. I would proceed to laugh and run away as i listened to the ensuing "HAAAAAAAAAAAALLELUJAH!"
No, no, he did. In the everything else section, at least. Officially, this makes him king.

Offline Cobra

• People want ducks.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 25, 2009, 12:12:04 am »
Pffft, personally I preferred sending my last worm next to my brothers last two and plopping a holy hand grenade. I would proceed to laugh and run away as i listened to the ensuing "HAAAAAAAAAAAALLELUJAH!"

Oh no I mis timed the jump and am no stuck in a crevice to close to the blast radius what to do what to "HAAAAAAAAAAAALLELUJAH!" *ka-boom* god darn it... play again?

Offline Huckbuck

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 25, 2009, 03:24:59 am »
I hated the fact that if you were standing to close to the edge you were going to jump over the worm instead jumped BACKWARDS and pretty much landed in the grenade just when it was about to explode.
@davidramnero

Offline martyk

• Simon Belmont
  • Never underestimate the power of dolphin!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 25, 2009, 07:27:59 am »

Worms 4 apparently fixed most of the problems worms 3D had.  I've played Worms 4 and it is awesome.  Very awesome.
Quote from: Doctor Zay
Martyk is a handsome fish.
Quote from: Brandonazz
This dolphin is delicious.
<Sgore> Martyk, mentally I always picture you as like, our forums bartender.
<Neoadept> I've always pictured you trapped in a tuna net

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 26, 2009, 03:42:03 am »
Ok, Pat, you may be correct in saying that worms 3d is ok. I don't know. But look in your heart and tell me, is worms 3d FUNKY enough to be a globetrotter included on this list?
Sam is basically right, he's just cranky.

Offline Crazen

• Space Ace
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 27, 2009, 12:55:07 am »
for shure, starcraft. you can get a box set (with brood war) for 20$, so their isnt much stoping you. cept the sequel might make it null

Oh, one game I have played that I think has been rather influential is Monkey Island. It had a great storyline, and a fairly groundbreaking use of music, especially MI 2. And it has of course great humour. And no, Monkey Island 4 doesn't exist >_>

But that could just be the fanboy in me talking :P

agreed.

Quote from: SimplyNecro
No capitalization......

Crazen!

Offline Summoner

• BurgerTime Chef
  • I wont stab you... or will i?
    • View Profile
    • Summoners Deviant Art Page
« Reply #26 on: June 30, 2009, 06:03:55 am »
Super Mario Bros 1 and 2

Its a classic game come on :P

gec05

« Reply #27 on: June 30, 2009, 09:37:42 am »
Well let's face it. Nobody wants to play those off the bat, especially since they well too established. Some people want to play something original and unique, surprisingly good. Not something that you always see on every mainstream "10 best games evar" list.

Offline Kenobro

• Space Harrier
  • I am not a robot!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 30, 2009, 12:16:34 pm »
I'm going to put in my list.  Mostly NES, and one game you should never ever play.

Contra -

It's the only game to ever get side-scrolling shooting perfectly right that I can think of.  It's like an arcade game, you die in like two seconds, but it's just so much fun.

Battletoads -

Probably one of the harder NES games, that I can think of.  It starts out easy, and it's really fun.  The controls are also fluent.

The Legend Of Zelda -

It's just one of the best games, and it's so big as well.  The puzzles are hard to figure out( but not ridiculous), and the 2nd quest is almost impossible to figure out.

I could think fo better reasons, but I'm kind of in a hurry right now.

I could think of some others, but this is just a quick post.

Do NOT ever play Silver Surfer for the NES...  It's way too hard for the wrong reasons.

Just thought I'd help.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2009, 12:18:44 pm by Kenobro »

Quote from: Grazony
Thanks Kenobro. :)

Offline sporelord

• Omega Racer
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 30, 2009, 01:38:28 pm »
Games which make you a gamer hmmmm

1. i would say Zelda ocarina of time, Best zelda game ever for a start
2. timecrisis, yes its an acarde game morealess, but its playstation counterpart defeined that sort of Shooting game
3. for the FP market Deus ex
4 CS1.6 and Half life 1
5.Majesty for its Indirect control approach and innovation
6. Tetris for practically inventing gaming
7. BF1942
8. SC and Wc2

Thats about it i would explain further but i have no time TBH
Check out MindWorld a Psychological Sci-Fi FPS adventure indie title....It's pretty awesome :p http://www.indiedb.com/games/mindworld/images/mindworld-concept-art1

Offline Kaizer

• Mail Order Monster
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: June 30, 2009, 01:47:21 pm »
tetris didn't invent gaming, pong did

1. The original might and magic

Offline sporelord

• Omega Racer
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 01, 2009, 07:47:01 am »
I did say practically invent, its a major advancement upon Pong and it is more widely played than pong.
Check out MindWorld a Psychological Sci-Fi FPS adventure indie title....It's pretty awesome :p http://www.indiedb.com/games/mindworld/images/mindworld-concept-art1