Author Topic: The Many Uses of the UFO  (Read 10484 times)

Offline Scipion

• Stargate Superstar
  • Returned from the grave, now with more immunities!
    • View Profile
Re: The Many Uses of the UFO
« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2005, 04:28:04 pm »
Since having your home destroyed while you are away is such a big concern to the player they will either A. not let is happen or B. make you able to prevent this.
-Just like Gaming Steve all of my ideas, suggestions, and comments are merely edjucated guesses. These are based on prior experience and current released info.-

Offline krjal

• Pac-Man Maniac
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 30, 2005, 11:25:18 pm »
You just have to get an alarm system for the neighbourhood.

If an enemy or unknown thingy enters your 'aerospace' you get a warning message and jump back.

Assuming you have a FTL drive.
+++"Sometimes, when I look into the abyss, the abyss looks back" - [tmo]+++

Offline jarnomiedema

• Wizard of Wor
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2005, 08:32:33 am »
I know this hasn't been mentioned in any of the reviews, but if there is a possibility that a UFO from another civilization approaches your space or your homeplanet, wouldn't it be great if there was some way to build planetary defenses in the form of satellites carrying weapons? Or, like we've discussed earlier; smaller vehicles? (As in smaller spaceships to patrol your space..) I really hope this will be incorporated in the game.. (Who knows, they might be keeping an eye on this forum for ideas? ;D)
« Last Edit: March 31, 2005, 08:42:20 am by jarnomiedema »

Offline craigp

• Phoenix Fighter
    • View Profile
    • Perkwiki
« Reply #18 on: March 31, 2005, 10:56:55 am »
It is HIGHLY unlikely that the computer players will have UFOs or ANY form of interplanetary travel or weapon. First, he said it was a content creation tool: not something that a computer is likely to be able to use very well. Second, because of its movement capabilities and your inability to monitor planets you aren't ON, it would be extremely irritating to try to deal with.

That said, the race he encountered did shoot anti-air weapons at him.

-Craig

Offline krjal

• Pac-Man Maniac
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 01, 2005, 06:47:26 pm »
Pretty simple to put satellites with that kind of stuff into orbit.
+++"Sometimes, when I look into the abyss, the abyss looks back" - [tmo]+++

Offline Therlun

• Fire Truck Driver
  • Hope and Hate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 02, 2005, 03:46:23 am »
perhaps we should split it up in aliens having no "UFO"-creation tool, and aliens having no interplanetar/interstellar travel ability at all.

when you can fly around the galaxy, found colonies, terraform planets and stuff, wouldnt it be pretty boring if you only face planetbased cultures?

also it seems to me there is always some competition going on.
from brown blops, to crab things, to other cities.
wouldn't there be part of the game missing if you were "alone"? i cetainly would miss it.
Change is being.

Offline jarnomiedema

• Wizard of Wor
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 02, 2005, 04:39:34 am »
I agree with Therlun.. I always watch documentaries that have to do with the galaxy and the possibility of extra-terrestrial life and I'm always fascinated by that formula that calculates how much intelligent life might be out there.. Wouldn't it be a bit weird if it turns out that when humans travel to the stars they find out that every other intelligence was confined to their own planet?

It would seem equally weird for a game like this to have this type of system.. Cooperation and interaction with other beings is essential from the beginning upwards, but in the end, you'll be the one who dominate the galaxy with your spaceship.. Sounds a bit ridiculous.. It wouldn't be nice if the other aliens would be able to travel to your star and blow up your planet, sure, but it would be nice if you could encounter a small empire, confederacy, federation, or whatever type of union, that you could fight/cooperate with..

I value this aspect of the game more than most of the other aspects, so I seriously doubt if I'll buy it when I feel that this isn't handled with enough realism..  :(