Author Topic: A game idea-Core Faction  (Read 5009 times)

Offline GroxGlitch

• Gyruss Gyrusian
  • Somehow, I've even less of a clue what's going on.
    • View Profile
A game idea-Core Faction
« on: June 18, 2009, 11:04:07 pm »
This is an idea I had a while back. It is a RTS-strategy with a twist:it's also a First-person Shooter! You can take control of units in a squad and it will play as a FPS with you controling a unit in the squad,or the lieutennate if one is built. You can also play in the RTS mode exclusively. The story mode follows around the Core Faction for part one, a guerilla force fighting against the oppressive invaders attacking Earth.You  play as the invaders, the Brutes. As the Core Faction, you have to use hit and run tactics to beat the Brute, as they are much more powerful than any human. You will occasionally get help from the military, which have genetically manipulated super humans. They are immune to morale breakage, and the Core Faction units takes less morale dammage.In story mode, you may only take FPS control over the commander of your army. The Core Faction upgrade tree goes as follows:
                                     Weapons          Armour
                                        MP-3           Standard
                                        MP-5         Paulderon Rienforcement
                                        AK-74        Helmet Upgrade
                                        M-60        Chestplate Rienforcement
                                        "Orion"      Shield Gauntlet
Brute upgrade tree:
                   Weapons                  Armour
                  Scatter Shot              Helmet
                   Burst Shot              Paulderon
                 Focus Cannon         Shield Gauntlet
                Starburst Fury          Cloaking Field
Phew! more later, my fingers hurt.But seriously, tell me what you think!

Offline Raz

• Questron Serf
    • View Profile
Re: A game idea-Core Faction
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2009, 11:27:52 pm »
The real question is weither or not you'd actually attempt to make the game, assuming you have the skills, or would get the skills.

Offline GroxGlitch

• Gyruss Gyrusian
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2009, 11:34:47 pm »
It's just an idea.I want to make it once I get out of college if I can get the money.You see, I have another plan with it.It is to have a "build mode" where it is like G-mod, allowing you acess to a full sandbox.Build planes,cars,tanks,cannons, and anything else! Then put it in the game! All vehicles are sabotagable.
Ex: Shoot out the drive shaft on a truck to stop it from moving.Or toss a grenade down the barrel of a tank. Plus, I want to have a full map editor, unit editor, weapon editor, and a few other things.
Do I sound like I'm going towards something that is totally out of the question?

Offline Raz

• Questron Serf
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2009, 11:36:50 pm »
Yeah. Unless you dedicate your entire life to trying become a game designer, or something.

Offline GroxGlitch

• Gyruss Gyrusian
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2009, 11:41:03 pm »
Who knows? Hell, by the time I get to the point where I am able to do this, what advances could have been made in the field of game design? Mabe it could get to the point where all you do is say "place this here and this here and make this do this and this and this and then this,with _______ mapset" and so on and so forth and Voila! A game. Who can say? Only time will tell.  ;)

Offline Raz

• Questron Serf
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2009, 11:42:31 pm »
No, it won't.

Offline Digital Hellhound

• Rigel Rescuer
  • I refuse to be considered a mere nuisance!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2009, 11:44:58 pm »
Not very original, but a good idea nevertheless.
But well, unless someone here is gonna be a game designer some day, it's never gonna happen.
I am the very model of a scientist salarian...

Offline GroxGlitch

• Gyruss Gyrusian
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2009, 11:46:46 pm »
EDIT:@ Razonatair: Is that really what you think? That is foolhardy. Ha! Look at the games these days, evolved from those crappy little 16-bit games on the SNES to these 3D rendered realistic games on the 360 that would knock the fur clean off a polar bear.To say that no advancements will be made is just plain stupid. Argue if you want, I can provide logical evidense that you are wrong. 8)

@ Digital Hellhound:How is it unorigional? How many FPS/RTS hybrids do you see out on the market,eh?
« Last Edit: June 18, 2009, 11:49:16 pm by GroxGlitch »

Offline IamMe

• Gorf Goon
  • +200 Points!
    • View Profile

Offline Grangan

• Q*Bert Qrazy
  • We're all mad here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2009, 12:05:54 am »
Hey, guys?  Butt out of people's dreams.  They may not be rational but they're what they've got.

If the flamers don't butt out, my advice to GroxGlitch is to not post your dreams on such cynical sites.
Twas Brillig and the slithy toves did gyre and gimble in the wabe, all mimsy were the borogoves and the mome raths outgrabe.

Offline Raz

• Questron Serf
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2009, 12:25:31 am »
No, it won't.

http://www.fpscreator.com/

Big deal.

I'm not saying they won't make advances, I'm saying that garage-games will never achieve the kind of things that real developers achieve, at the same level. They'll always have to be either simplistic or in-depth but without graphics, etc. Your idea especially is insane. You're trying to integrate a number of things that would lower the overall quality. Focus on one high quality aspect instead of trying to be a jack of all trades.

Offline Xeno264

• Defender Devotee
  • Don't eat the yellow snow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2009, 01:36:49 am »
The idea isn't bad, but the story needs a fair amount of tweaking for originality.

Offline GroxGlitch

• Gyruss Gyrusian
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2009, 07:44:04 am »
Looking over it again, I can say:I agree.But I haven't really ever been good at finding plot problems.Could someone point them out?

Offline Uroboros

• Duck Hunter
  • Am I awake?
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2009, 09:29:34 am »
There isn't a plot problem. Its your typical bad-guy invaders vs good-guy defenders scenario.

Now, a game problem? I see one.
Being an RTS game in base, each unit will have standardised damage output, movement speed, pathfinding, weapon arcs and so forth. Allowing the players the ability to overtake a unit and play the game as an FPS provides a number of issues. The first of which being the standardised damage output, and accuracy. If whilst in FPS mode, all other units behave as they should in any self-respecting RTS game, you are at a massive disadvantage. Not only do the enemy units have massive situational awareness and field-of-vision compared to the FPS unit, but they will also have incredible accuracy, whereas your overtaken unit will be at a disadvantage due to manual aiming, limited 'frontal' vision, and gaining absolutely no benefits from being operated by a person first-hand. If you were to allow an overtaken unit to get headshots, critical hits and such, then you open the game to a fair level exploitation, not to mention an unpredictable element for RTS players who suddenly find their units being destroyed with no immediately understandable reason why. If you limit enemy accuracy to make for a better FPS experience, you create something of a mounting frustration for RTS users.

One way to solve this, would be to make the game FPS in base, then have the RTS mode as the secondary. That way anybody taking up a 'commanders' role, will already be factoring in field-of-vision, terrain and accuracy to basic engagement. Though this creates another big problem in directing and operating your other units, whilst down on the battlefield fighting it yourself.

Also, if you have to write a short list of generic upgrades/weapons (without description or function beyond typical items found in 90% of games) as partt of the base concept behind a 'game idea'... then that normally means you're really scraping the bottom of the barrel. I know this is pretty tactless, but your idea is pretty hollow. The cross FPS/RTS thing as been tried before, its not really a new thing, and the invaders vs defenders 'plot', if you can call it that, is way overdone. There is nothing here that really sparks interest. You should have really tried to develop your idea beyond such an incredibly bare-bones stage before posting a thread, really.

Offline B.A.S.

• Time Pilot Trekker
  • WAR GSP!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2009, 09:36:10 am »
Sounds interesting somewhat. One plot problem is. The brutes are invading Earth yes? And your a Hit and Run based Faction that OCCASIONALLY gets help from the Military. I'd think that if Earth was being Invaded the Military would be helping out 100% of the time. In that department you need to elaborate a bit more.

Also the nature of the game is where an RTS/FPS kinda fails. Someone could easily master the game and take out someones entire army while in FPS mode. Dont say it cant happen because Im sure it would happen in a matter of time.
Your Friendly Canadian Fighter :)
"It is defeat that turns bone to flint, gristle to muscle- it is defeat that makes men invincible"- Henry Ward Beecher
Inkling:Durgon only comes by when he is taking a break from beating up people and animals