Author Topic: just found something kinda interesting...that brought me back  (Read 3380 times)

Offline vonboy

• Centipede Crackerjack
  • the tiniest evil thing known to man and willosaurs
    • View Profile
i just decided to look on Google images for spore creatures (was bored lol) and i entered in the name of one of my first creatures, quadraspike, and i found this interesting blog post that featured my creation that i didn't even know about.

http://www.sporedaily.com/2008/06/14/sporepedia-tops-1000-creatures-uploaded-no-sign-of-australian-creature-creator/#disqus_thread

it looks like the site is dead now (no posts or activity since like 9/08. one of the funny parts is the poster showed my creation, which was actually the start of the event in the next post.

http://www.sporedaily.com/2008/06/15/creature-creator-leak-pushes-sporepedia-over-13000-creatures/#disqus_thread

yes, actually this was sparked from when another member on this site (forgot his name) was sharing a leaked copy of the cc demo. don't even think about looking for the topic because a mod promply deleted it. i, being the excited little brat i was, downloaded it asap, and then proceeded to uploading creatures till the servers crashed and they locked us out for a few days (till the demo was SUPPOSED to come out). i was one of the first ...um...unintended members posting stuff on there.

over the next couple hours and days, this sparked a heated debate between those that downloaded the leak, and those that didn't, and said it was wrong/immoral to do it, even if it was just a demo.

not quit sure why i posted this, but seeing that blog post just seemed to bring back memories.

also i'm happy that someone else randomly thought my early creation was good enough to put in his post lol.

Quote from: ilikedirt
your spores are wack

Fatal Error: You're creature is crap. You're computer will now explode.

check out my sporepedia page!
http://www.spore.com/view/profile/vonboy

Offline DaMuncha

• Lode Runner
  • GREAT SCOTTS!
    • View Profile
Re: just found something kinda interesting...that brought me back
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2009, 08:20:28 am »
I too downloaded the leaked copy, but I couldnt upload anything at the time.

Offline Spore-addict

• Kaboom Boomer!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2009, 08:53:42 am »
Guilty also in downloading a leaked copy.....before buying the original.

Fun times..though.
Master Raytracer Spore-addict = KarmaCowboy

See you out there, feel free to comment my creatures.

Offline Beatnuki

• Scramble Skipper
  • Wilco Hex, reporting for duty!
    • View Profile
    • Beatnuki's Chunk of Funk (which seemed like a good idea at the time)
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2009, 04:15:49 am »
Hehe, nice work on getting your creature mentioned, it's always good to find out someone else has enjoyed something you've made. Say what you want about Spore, but that's undoubtedly one of its strengths.

I remember the leak and the furore it swept up on the forums... ah, good times.
If you peruse my things, you get POINTS!
http://www.spore.com/view/profile/Beatnuki

Only trouble is, they're Whose Line Is It Anyway points, which are infamously not worth anything.

gec05

« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2009, 11:54:22 am »
You know what's interesting? None of the mods back then actually noticed the link to the torrent was posted. I believe the author of that thread quickly deleted it before any mod knew it was there.

Any record of that thread existing is now gone forever, or we would have archived it if we did catch it.

Offline vonboy

• Centipede Crackerjack
  • the tiniest evil thing known to man and willosaurs
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2009, 05:49:58 am »
that did did exist at one time though. after it was deleted, i started a new thread to discuss the leak, which lasted all of 10 minutes, then somebody else tried another thread that was ban-hammered as well.
Quote from: ilikedirt
your spores are wack

Fatal Error: You're creature is crap. You're computer will now explode.

check out my sporepedia page!
http://www.spore.com/view/profile/vonboy

Offline DarkDragon

• Final Fantasy Fanatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2009, 08:19:25 pm »
I remember posting the link somewhere dark, like my signature... size 1 xD
DarkDragon's Minecraft Survival Server (use this as the IP):

gamingsteve.dyndns.org

- The server uses a whitelist, if you're not on the whitelist (can't connect), PM me your minecraft name.