Poll

What kind of story do you want to write?

World War II Infiltration
Cuban Missile What-If? Nuclear Apocalypse
Zombie/Vampire/Lycanthropy
Film Noir

Author Topic: The Writer's Circle  (Read 10782 times)

Offline Josasa

• Commando Soldier
    • View Profile
The Writer's Circle
« on: June 13, 2009, 06:52:45 pm »
I've been thinking about this lately, and I've noticed that there are a lot of awesome writers on this forum. There are some good RP's going on, but it seems like there could be a lot of good stories that could be told, rather than being limited by the restrictions necessary for RPing. So I was thinking that instead of just starting up another RP, that we start up this Writer's Circle and work at a large-scale story (or small-scale if that would be preferred) that isn't limited to one person controlling one character. I think we'd be able to come up with some pretty interesting stories.

Offline Raz

• Questron Serf
    • View Profile
Re: The Writer's Circle
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2009, 06:55:57 pm »
This is far more similar to some of the 'RPs' I've been involved with on other sites. It makes sense, but would still require some common sense on the part of the writers themselves.

Offline Little

• Crystal Castle Gem Eater
  • I'm a drunk...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2009, 07:58:43 pm »
I really, really, really like this idea.
The best person ever.  She should have won the Peace Prize.

What? No full control over children? You do realize that some of us have particular plans for those children.

Offline Detoxicated

• Pack M.U.L.E.
  • Spirit of Monkey
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2009, 12:54:53 am »
well to have a constant, you'd have to give each character a mindset so they dont act randomly. but besides that, this is an awsome idea
OK, both of you die and let us know what happens.

Offline dndfreak

• 1942 Veteran
  • The GM
    • View Profile
    • PathLosers
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2009, 09:25:02 am »
Sounds cool, I've been working on this one book for a little bit and this might give me a break ^_^

Offline Slartibartfast

• Ballblazer Plasmorb
  • Do they speak English in What?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2009, 09:35:28 am »
Interesting concept.  I will be watching.

Offline Raz

• Questron Serf
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2009, 12:21:27 pm »
well to have a constant, you'd have to give each character a mindset so they dont act randomly. but besides that, this is an awsome idea

What? You have to actually think outside the limited mindset of GS's current RPs. It's not necesarily being one character...

Offline dndfreak

• 1942 Veteran
  • The GM
    • View Profile
    • PathLosers
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2009, 01:08:51 pm »
I'm pretty sure we're talking more along the lines of a book written by the collective minds of the GS posters.

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2009, 02:44:40 pm »
Deja vu?

Either way, I'd love to be a part of this!

Offline Detoxicated

• Pack M.U.L.E.
  • Spirit of Monkey
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2009, 10:08:30 am »
no what i mean is:
lets say mr A writes about a character named Jay Macintosh, a hippy guy who is a loser/slacker

then ms B comes in to write about jay as well, but describes him as a completely different person

if you work on a book you need continuity thats what im saying

Offline Didero

• Turkey Shoot Terminator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2009, 10:25:25 am »
A way to solve that is to first work on all the characters together, before starting on the story. That way everybody has a chance to shape the people in the story, and everybody knows how all the characters should behave, since their personality is set.

Offline Josasa

• Commando Soldier
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2009, 11:37:21 am »
Well, looks like there is at least some interest. So now I think we should set some ground rules. These are all probably subject to change as we progress so these aren't truly set in stone.

As others have mentioned, the characters would have to be setup before hand, and should generally be necessary. This means that we shouldn't be creating this giant list beforehand and trying to find places to fit the characters in, but should instead create them as we need them. This means that in some cases there may be more writers than characters, something that you don't find in RPs. Also, in order to make sure that there are no true favorites with the writers, everyone should be able to contribute a little something to the characters backround. Characters may be killed off as the story progresses, so long as it is viewed necessary by the writers and it is generally agreed upon.

Another thing is the setting. This will probably need to be developed and agree upon before the writing happens. There will always be room for creating it as we go, but it must be consistent and realistic with the rest of the story. Writers will have to keep up with the different sections in order for this to all make sense.

Plot is something else that will be different with this when compared with RPs. From the beginning there should be a general idea of what the plot is going to be about and it should be agreed upon by a majority of the writers. 

Something else to keep in mind is that this will involve lots of teamwork. We all need to cooperate in order for this to suceed. At the same time, a lot of what you write will probably be changed or worked around. Nothing that you write is truly set in stone.

Now, I believe that we can start talking about what it is we exactly want to write about. I'm open to suggestions.
Personally I've kinda been wanting to write something going on during World War II, similar to Neal Stephenson's Cryptonomicon.     

Offline Detoxicated

• Pack M.U.L.E.
  • Spirit of Monkey
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2009, 02:34:47 pm »
hmm i personally like what-if scenarios... for instance, what if the japanese hadn't attacked pearl harbour in world war II.

Offline Raz

• Questron Serf
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2009, 02:40:05 pm »
" everyone should be able to contribute a little something to the characters backround. " This is foolish. A character is made with a specific background/motives in mind. Letting others touch the background will simply jam the entire purpose of the character.

Offline emmet

• Street Fighter Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2009, 02:42:43 pm »
All you people are picking problems with this, but you don't know until you try. :P
No way dude, you're trolling me.