Author Topic: Creature Creator animations better than the actual game? *UPDATE*  (Read 4598 times)

Offline Rutilant

• Asteroids Aficionado
    • View Profile
I'll just try and keep this brief, but a long while ago - back when the creature creator came out, I made a few creatures and was mildly impressed. Uploaded them to my page on the Sporepedia, all that good stuff.

Tried it out in game once the game came out and the animations were different - much less interesting.

Basically, in the CC, this creature gallops when it sprints and has a sorta lazy gait to it when it walks, but in game, it does the spaz-waddle everything else seems to do, and when it runs, it.. spaz-waddles faster. Really irritating. I figured I'd try again because patch 3 said it made multi-legged animations better, but I don't see a difference. Does the full game decide what should 'gallop' differently than the CC, or does it just not have that ability? If that's the case..

http://www.spore.com/sporepedia#qry=sast-500002864576

EDIT:

I was browsing the sporepedia looking for new content (my game seems to be populated excusively by maxis empires in space mode) and found this.. http://www.spore.com/sporepedia#qry=usr-Ryuujin|2262881868%3Asast-500166738450%3Apg-20
It's an amusing creature in its own right, but what really astonished me was how it moves when you test drive it. It hops! So.. um.. Let's brainstorm here. It has no feet (that I can see) but it doesn't just slug along either. Why is that?
« Last Edit: June 04, 2009, 12:29:32 pm by Rutilant »

Offline Uroboros

• Duck Hunter
  • Am I awake?
    • View Profile
Re: Creature Creator animations better than the actual game?
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2009, 10:45:05 pm »
What i've found to determine your walking gait, is the positioning of the legs. Each individual link of a leg affects it. Its position in relation to the center of the body and its position in relation to the place it anchors to the body. The position of the foot relating to the limbs anchor point plays a big part, as does the angle of the link that immediately attaches to the foot. Then on top of that, you have the spacing between the limbs and the number of limbs (with 3-legged creatures tending to walk like 'on crutches' more often). Longer limbs have slower strides, and limbs that branch into several at an elbow point tend to have an unpredictable effect you'd have to experiment to get a feel for. The smooth, loose-elbowed 'tentacle' limbs have a tendancy to 'patter' the floor instead of stride, when their joints are placed in low arcs...

There were a good deal of changes made from the old creature creator days, with these patches. Animations and movement rhythms haven't got worse, but they simply changed. Your only option would be to tweak any creatures with odd walking behaviour until they feel right. You might find some creatures are now just below the old complexity limit, too. That got tightened a little in one of the patches.

Offline Rutilant

• Asteroids Aficionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2009, 11:34:58 pm »
Just out of curiosity (thanks for the advice, by the way) have you ever seen this galloping behavior in the full game? The back arches and the forelegs move with eachother and the back legs do as well, and it takes a bit of a hop forward and both front legs go somewhat between the hind legs. It's hard to explain..

Well, either way, it's not the standard left-right-left-right shuffle.

Offline Ichthyostega

• Rally-X Roadster
  • Behold! The fanhorn from the planet Snaiad.
    • View Profile
    • Ichthyostegland
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2009, 08:18:39 am »
I know what you mean. The frogs I made in the Creature Creator days actually hopped when I double-clicked. But in the full Spore, they only walk faster.
Ichthyostega

Offline DarkDragon

• Final Fantasy Fanatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2009, 11:31:56 am »
Wasn't there a tutorial on Spore.com on how to change creature gait?
DarkDragon's Minecraft Survival Server (use this as the IP):

gamingsteve.dyndns.org

- The server uses a whitelist, if you're not on the whitelist (can't connect), PM me your minecraft name.

Offline Lippy

• Galaga General
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2009, 02:11:07 pm »
I think that was only for creatures with like a lot of legs.

And even then, the way it walks in test drive is not necessarily going to be the way it walks in the game world. 

I think they use different animation procedures for each section.  Look at the difference between creature phase and the holoscout. 

Offline Rutilant

• Asteroids Aficionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2009, 05:58:29 pm »
I think that was only for creatures with like a lot of legs.

And even then, the way it walks in test drive is not necessarily going to be the way it walks in the game world. 

I think they use different animation procedures for each section.  Look at the difference between creature phase and the holoscout. 

Yeah, apparently six legs and up only. I tried it on my poor Igualo with no difference - it makes me really sad, because the galloping in the creature creator was what really 'made' it for me, as far as his lumbering eyeless personality went. (It's very annoying playing an eyeless creature, by the way!)

I get the feeling there's some way, but that it's not at all intuitive or convenient. Disappointing!

Offline Beastosaurus

• Asteroids Aficionado
  • Heeeeeeeeres Beasty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2009, 06:31:38 pm »
This is one of my biggest gripes with Spore. Nevermind the depth issues. Nevermind the fact that content was cut and planned to be resold. Oh well, whatever, nevermind.

YOU CANNOT MAKE YOUR CREATURE ANIMATE HOW YOU WANT.

For a game priding itself on letting you make the wildest creatures you can imagine (false), being unable to adjust the animations is a huge letdown. Maybe if they had some sliders or something that controlled stiffness, lope, that sort of thing, I'd be placated.
I think fish drown when they are knocked unconscious or pierced through the lung.

Offline DarkDragon

• Final Fantasy Fanatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2009, 08:28:48 pm »
You can switch between gaits for less than 6 legged creatures by adding/removing decorative parts and messing with the limb/joint locations and angles (just make them really small if it screws with how the creature looks). At least that works for me.
DarkDragon's Minecraft Survival Server (use this as the IP):

gamingsteve.dyndns.org

- The server uses a whitelist, if you're not on the whitelist (can't connect), PM me your minecraft name.

gec05

« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2009, 08:48:20 pm »
This is one of my biggest gripes with Spore. Nevermind the depth issues. Nevermind the fact that content was cut and planned to be resold. Oh well, whatever, nevermind.

YOU CANNOT MAKE YOUR CREATURE ANIMATE HOW YOU WANT.

For a game priding itself on letting you make the wildest creatures you can imagine (false), being unable to adjust the animations is a huge letdown. Maybe if they had some sliders or something that controlled stiffness, lope, that sort of thing, I'd be placated.

You make it sound like this is easy. Maxis isn't god. And the programming behind it is still new.

Offline Enoch

• Crazy Climber Cuckoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2009, 10:24:22 pm »
Just out of curiosity (thanks for the advice, by the way) have you ever seen this galloping behavior in the full game? The back arches and the forelegs move with eachother and the back legs do as well, and it takes a bit of a hop forward and both front legs go somewhat between the hind legs. It's hard to explain..

Well, either way, it's not the standard left-right-left-right shuffle.

Four-legged creatures USED to do that in the editor, but not in the full game.

I'm pretty sure it got taken out of the editor at some point, as well.  :(

Now my creatures walk the same way at both speeds. Maybe I'm the only one whose game is like this?