Poll

No Poll

Author Topic: Naucean - My New Creature  (Read 731838 times)

Offline Lambsquirter

• Megamania Megalomaniac
  • Don't play with your food
    • View Profile
Re: Naucean - My New Creature
« Reply #495 on: March 06, 2006, 02:05:14 am »
i used the burn tool all the time to help me create shadows and the highlights tool to create highlights..
:):)
Under construction

Offline MadGiraffe

• Adventure Ace
  • Hmmm, colours.
    • View Profile
« Reply #496 on: March 06, 2006, 09:08:24 am »
You still have so much to learn about the wonderful world of Photoshop...

Ok, here we go.

First off, this thingy to help you on the terms.

Are you saying that you want me to shade using like a transparent black layer? What do you do for highlight spots?

There are a lot of ways in doing this, I’m going to discuss 2. I both used them, the first one I used a lot in my earlier day, I’m using #2 more right now.

Technique #1:
Pick a color for what you are coloring. Now make a lighter/warmer shade for the highlights, and a darker/cooler shade for the shadows. And maybe pick the contrasting color shade for it too for the reflect shade, or the closest environmental color.
Now put the main color on one layer. Shade the shadows in with the darker color in another layer, same goes for the lighter color. And then fool around with the layer properties a bit to get what you want.
For the shadows you can use: Multiply, color burn and overlay. Try some others maybe too,
And for the highlights: Screen, color dodge and overlay. Just try something.
And to let is flow and shade a bit more you can adjust the opacity and use more layers to build the layers of shadings trough opacity and what surface they cover, or you could do that directly trough the opacity of your brush.

Technique #2:
Fill everything with a 50% gray.
I use my Wacom for this. I make a custom brush that doesn’t change size to pressure but only it’s opacity, that way I have full control over the shading. With the mouse you can use a low opacity brush or something, or some opacity building layers.
And then I make a small palette in one layer, with pure white and black. And then I start shading the subject using the alt+click quick eyedropper. When I have a fully defined subject, I get to the coloring.
This where I can do a bunch of stuff, mostly I set a few ‘overlay’ or ‘color’ property layers for the colors and fool around with the colors I put in them and the opacities. And those color layers go above the shaded layer.

But, seeing you don’t have a tablet. And it works well enough here. But try some hard brushes, or some custom ones sometimes.

I have a Wacom Tablet its just I almost never use it. I have found i have horrible control in compared to coloring with a mouse. I think its from all the years using a mouse playing games and stuff.

I advise you to lock up your mouse and get used to you Wacom right now, because that not having control over it is complete bull on not using it. Because it is a brilliant tool that opens up a whole new world of possibilities for the digital artist. Pen pressure mostly. Control.
You just have to get used to it at the beginning, so you have to use it non stop and you’ll get over it. You’ll see that after some time you can get way more accurate with a Wacom then a mouse. Especially with the full screen orientation set on instead of distance movement (this is very important to put on).
Sure, maybe you can make a better straight line with a mouse a bit, but like no hell you can make curves and sketch like you can with a Wacom.

11. Shade using burn tool. – Eugh, thought something like that yes. Stay, off, the, burn tool. Really it is a horrible tool for shading. The tool actually is for editing photos to touch the shades up a bit, but for shading itself, it is a bad tool.

Why is burn tool bad? And i have found that Sponge too is good for lightening and area too. Like highlights.
Finally! Someone who agrees that the burn and sponge tool were put there for a reason!

Aaaah god nooooo......the horror...Sponge tool saturates, it doesn't highlight.
And burn tool is way too hard to control correctly most of the time, and it messes up the values. You end up with blotchy badly shaded crap.
It is better to control the shading colors and values trough adding another layer for the shading and use the appropriate surrounding contrast surface colors for that. That way the shadows are better to read and live up the colors of the surface better instead of making it just black.
Burn and dodge(that one highlights, sponge doesn’t it saaatuuuraaatess) tools are for touching up only, and photo’s most of the time. That’s what they are made for originally, not for shading. And still you’re better off not using them. These tools are prescribed as the great big evil no no of digital art.

And to top it all, read through this brilliant tutorial, bookmark it and read it some later times. Read it, live it.
http://www.itchstudios.com/psg/art_tut.htm

Personal art galleries:

Offline Hydromancerx

• Master of Orion
  • Klaatu Barada Nikto!
    • View Profile
    • Sagan 4
« Reply #497 on: March 06, 2006, 02:28:01 pm »
Thanks for the info. Looks i will have to play around wih my art tablet some more.

BTW the drawing above was not done with born but done with a layer of black that was transparent.

Offline MadGiraffe

• Adventure Ace
  • Hmmm, colours.
    • View Profile
« Reply #498 on: March 06, 2006, 02:31:41 pm »
Thanks for the info. Looks i will have to play around wih my art tablet some more.

BTW the drawing above was not done with born but done with a layer of black that was transparent.

Noticed that yes. :)

Try to pick a light source and stick with it defining shapes better, also, don't use black. Read the tutorial linked in the bottomost line in my post ;).

Personal art galleries:

Offline Hydromancerx

• Master of Orion
  • Klaatu Barada Nikto!
    • View Profile
    • Sagan 4
« Reply #499 on: March 07, 2006, 02:15:22 am »

Here is a River Tribe Infantry during the Atomic Age. Durring this time was one of the most destructive periods in Naucean history. So much so it almost wiped out the species. This age is between the anti-slavery age and the rocket age. This war was mainly over the Plantation and Slavery Tribes forming.

As you can see from the picture during this age was the first time radio was used and the River tribe took advantage of this with their own version of the walkie talkie. They also discovered metal zippers in this age as well as the use of camouflage clothing and war paint. His clothing is also an early version of a bullet proof vest. They have not discovered kevklar yet but it is a light body armor none the less. They also are wearing a gas mask due to chemical warfare at the time. They would use stinging gas as well as poisonous gas.

Sadly many Nauceans died not only in battle but were bombed. Those that survived that died from the fallout and there was Nuclear winter in various places for at least a decade or more. The only reason the Naucean survived at all was because e of their mountain bunkers. The most surprising outsome of all this is the fact that after most of the radiation went away the Cave Tribe got a boost to technology and begin to dominate in later ages until the genocide plague in the Biotech Age.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2007, 11:30:53 pm by Hydromancerx »

Offline huggkruka

• Space Ace
  • Totally powers
    • View Profile
    • My Digitalart.org profile
« Reply #500 on: March 07, 2006, 03:35:59 am »
Superb  :o
I love it, the colours and the picture is very, very good! Good story too.

Offline MadGiraffe

• Adventure Ace
  • Hmmm, colours.
    • View Profile
« Reply #501 on: March 07, 2006, 03:48:08 am »
Very nice! I love the WW-esque influence going on there. But a gasmask, how would that work when their graspers are in their mouths?

The shading looks better. Maybe needs more definition and contrast, but it's fine. You tried out your wacom?

Personal art galleries:

Offline Hydromancerx

• Master of Orion
  • Klaatu Barada Nikto!
    • View Profile
    • Sagan 4
« Reply #502 on: March 07, 2006, 03:53:48 am »
Very nice! I love the WW-esque influence going on there. But a gasmask, how would that work when their graspers are in their mouths?

The real mouth is in the back of the fake mouth. They have a 2nd mask on the beak of the true both and the other over the nostrils on the top of the head. In short what looks like the mouth is not really a mouth. It is only a opening cavity in which the tenticles rest in are protected. See my skellton or anatomy drawing on the first page to see what i mean.

Offline Greg16

• Phoenix Fighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #503 on: March 07, 2006, 03:54:01 am »

The shading looks better. Maybe needs more definition and contrast, but it's fine. You tried out your wacom?

I don't know but I sure love the creativity of his creature, it's very original with the graspers coming of the mouth, yet at the same time familar. Excellecnt texturing. I wish I had photoshop dammit lol
Will Wright, the original.

Offline kmr

• Fishing Derby Champion
  • One hep cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #504 on: March 07, 2006, 04:11:47 am »
You know, reviewing all the stuff you've done for the Nauceans, a thought occurred to me: you are possibly making the strongest case for including clothing in Spore of all these threads. None of your Naucean clothing is more, essentially, than a reskin job with bits tacked on -- which is exactly the kind of simple functionality that WW said they would look for when deciding whether to include clothes. And considering that WW said he was impressed with your creature... well, we'll see.  ;D
Graduate of the LeRoy Funkified Badass School of Soul.

Offline Hydromancerx

• Master of Orion
  • Klaatu Barada Nikto!
    • View Profile
    • Sagan 4
« Reply #505 on: March 07, 2006, 04:43:15 am »

This is to show the real mouth which is the beak in the back of the pseudo mandible cavity. 3 tentacles grow out of either side of the beak and the beak has a top and bottom with a single tongue. It has no teeth but uses a gizzard to digest food. When the pseudo mandible is close the 6 tentacles rest on the bottom pseudo mandible and are scrunched up near the front where there is more space. As you can see without the pseudo mandibles the skull looks alot like an oviraptor head.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2007, 11:33:31 pm by Hydromancerx »

Offline kmr

• Fishing Derby Champion
  • One hep cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #506 on: March 07, 2006, 04:56:21 am »
Have you thought about how to reproduce this effect in the editor? I'm sure you have. ;D Personally, I'd think the easiest way would be skimping on the inner beak and making the pseudomandibles the actual mouth, with the grasper tentacles joined to the side of the head at the jaw.
Graduate of the LeRoy Funkified Badass School of Soul.

Offline huggkruka

• Space Ace
  • Totally powers
    • View Profile
    • My Digitalart.org profile
« Reply #507 on: March 07, 2006, 04:57:18 am »
Open wide... Nice picture, sometimes I get a little confused about the tentacles as well. This should clear up all confusion!  ;)

Offline Hydromancerx

• Master of Orion
  • Klaatu Barada Nikto!
    • View Profile
    • Sagan 4
« Reply #508 on: March 07, 2006, 05:01:09 am »
Have you thought about how to reproduce this effect in the editor? I'm sure you have. ;D Personally, I'd think the easiest way would be skimping on the inner beak and making the pseudomandibles the actual mouth, with the grasper tentacles joined to the side of the head at the jaw.

I am going to have it where i think the top will not move up and down like in the picture but be locked in a horizontal postion then the bottom will be may a jaw shaped limb that can open and close letting out the tentacle or closing up and hiding them all. Feeding time should be fun since it will look like a squid when it feed the beak in the back of the cavity.

EDIT: Or heck better yet make it so that the it looks like its slightly open and have have it fully close or open thus the skull will look that way and the reak both will be in the back. I bet that would work the best :D
« Last Edit: March 07, 2006, 05:04:25 am by Hydromancerx »

Offline Jaleho

• Stargate Superstar
  • The Infamous El Guapo
    • View Profile
    • Inflatable Studios
« Reply #509 on: March 07, 2006, 06:21:28 am »

I am going to have it where i think the top will not move up and down like in the picture but be locked in a horizontal postion then the bottom will be may a jaw shaped limb that can open and close letting out the tentacle or closing up and hiding them all. Feeding time should be fun since it will look like a squid when it feed the beak in the back of the cavity.

EDIT: Or heck better yet make it so that the it looks like its slightly open and have have it fully close or open thus the skull will look that way and the reak both will be in the back. I bet that would work the best :D

Heck, with the Dev Team hanging out in here, and your creature being the most fleshed out and well known, they may have just gone ahead and made sure things like psuedo mandibles and floots are available parts in the editor!