Poll

No Poll

Author Topic: Naucean - My New Creature  (Read 732363 times)

Offline huggkruka

• Space Ace
  • Totally powers
    • View Profile
    • My Digitalart.org profile
Re: Naucean - My New Creature
« Reply #480 on: March 04, 2006, 03:48:28 pm »
Did you know Photosjop is the no. 1 stolen program? jJust an interesting tidbit.

Offline operaghost21

• Rush'n Attacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #481 on: March 04, 2006, 05:25:40 pm »
I have an even simpler way.† ;D

hah! mine's even (slightly)l simper!  :D
1. draw (in pencil)
2. trace (in pen)
3. color (with colored pencils)
4. scan
5. enhance/darken pic
6.resize
"You hate people!"
"But I love gatherings. Isn't that ironic?"
~Clerks
Quote from: Kaizer
THINGS TO DO:
Get quoted to a sig [ ]

Offline Hydromancerx

• Master of Orion
  • Klaatu Barada Nikto!
    • View Profile
    • Sagan 4
« Reply #482 on: March 04, 2006, 08:51:32 pm »
I have an even simpler way.  ;D

1. draw (in pencil)
2. trace (in pen)
3. color (with colored pencils)
4. scan
5. enhance/darken pic
6.resize

I did that before, but i found that inking and coloring in pencil takes longer than if i just went and computer colored it.

Offline Mangerman

• Tempest Top Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #483 on: March 05, 2006, 02:58:41 am »
9. Use multiply on pencil layer

What does multiply do?
A multitude of rulers is not a good thing. Let there be one ruler, one king.

Offline Hydromancerx

• Master of Orion
  • Klaatu Barada Nikto!
    • View Profile
    • Sagan 4
« Reply #484 on: March 05, 2006, 04:16:54 am »

Here is the a Mountain Tribe Woolly Gobblehorn Rider. Since Lystrophants eat to much and hate cold weather the Mountain tribe domesticated the woolly gobblehorn. Common gobblehorns have seen seen in the river tribe area as deer like creatures, this is more like a big moose, caribou or yak. They use these mostly for transporting ore from the abundant mines (as seen in the picture). They fill up the sled with precious ore and bring it back to their spherical yurts where they have forges. This particular picture is during he Bronze Age as seen with the Bronze harpoon-like spear. They use these to hunt other mountain creatures who live atop the snowy peaks. The mountains are the only place on the planet that has snow. The planet is too hot for polar icecaps. But the mountains are highenough to be cold enough for snow. You might also notice the Mountain tribe's flag and design, their colors are white and light blue (as opposed to the river tribe that is blue and green). The river tribes design is an up and down zig zag while the mountain tribe has a similar pattern but with a normal zig zag then a small one half the size, representing the mountains, rather than the river like the river tribe has it. They are very similar because the mountain tribe river tribe and grassland tribe were once the same tribe. On a side note the cave tribe have the reverse version which represent the stalactites and stalagmites. Their colors are black and white.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2007, 11:29:44 pm by Hydromancerx »

Offline Hydromancerx

• Master of Orion
  • Klaatu Barada Nikto!
    • View Profile
    • Sagan 4
« Reply #485 on: March 05, 2006, 04:18:19 am »

What does multiply do?

It makes it like a cloring book in that if you pick the layer under it you can still see the gray line son top of it. Think of it like making it a tranparency.

Offline Lambsquirter

• Megamania Megalomaniac
  • Don't play with your food
    • View Profile
« Reply #486 on: March 05, 2006, 04:35:01 am »
hey hydro, another great update from you..i like how the naucean has full body clothing to protect it from the cold
Under construction

Offline huggkruka

• Space Ace
  • Totally powers
    • View Profile
    • My Digitalart.org profile
« Reply #487 on: March 05, 2006, 05:10:18 am »
Very nice, I love the gobblehorn!

Offline MadGiraffe

• Adventure Ace
  • Hmmm, colours.
    • View Profile
« Reply #488 on: March 05, 2006, 11:44:54 am »
Yes I am using Photoshop. Theses are my steps

Anyhow I am open to suggestions on coloring. What technique do you have in mind?

Ok cool. :) Comments are in blue.

1. Draw in pencil Ė Noticed that, the edges are a bit undefined here and there, and that while edges are usually a tad darker then the fill, thatís why dark-lining can look good sometimes, but this a choice of style. And seeing your work isnít that detailed it doesnít matter much. As it tends to get messy that way with much detail.

2. Scan Drawing Ė (duh, although you could trace it if you had a tablet.)

3. Contrast the pencil darker Ė Duplicate layer>top layer set to multiply>opacity of top layer set to 50%, that preserves some values.

4. Resize Ė You can also scan them smaller, it doesnít matter much really.

5-8. Standard

9. Use multiply on pencil layer. Ė A very common method. Very very common used for coloring scanned drawings. But you can go further then this, as this way, your lines are always the multiplicity hue of your pencil color. So thatís, grayish black.
And as in real life you donít really have lines, only contrast and darker shades of color, that is what defines the edges.
So you can put it in a different order and recolor the lines by using the Ďcolorí layer setting (after having blocked out the solids of those colors). Iíll explain this more later on.

10. Color in using soft brushes. Ė Hmm, maybe ok for a style choice, but personally I donít like it that much. As it doesnít define the shape well enough and can get vague, especially for the edges.
But, seeing you donít have a tablet. And it works well enough here. But try some hard brushes, or some custom ones sometimes.

11. Shade using burn tool. Ė Eugh, thought something like that yes. Stay, off, the, burn tool. Really it is a horrible tool for shading. The tool actually is for editing photos to touch the shades up a bit, but for shading itself, it is a bad tool.

12. Touch up by erasing or adding stuff. Ė Okay.

13. Sometimes use gradient fill for background. Ė Thatís ok, can get ugly sometimes, but is ok. Adding creatures to environments is maybe better but och. Itís design after all.
(The Ďartí direction ďdesignĒ is well known for a overabundant use of gradients, which is somewhat despised in the art world).

14-17 Ė Irrelevant.

I did that before, but i found that inking and coloring in pencil takes longer than if i just went and computer colored it.

True, but not everyone has Photoshop. And some people can color way better with pencils and such then on the computer, and it has a certain personality to it.

What does multiply do?

It makes it like a coloring book in that if you pick the layer under it you can still see the gray line son top of it. Think of it like making it a transparency.

Almost correct. What it actually does is using the top layers brightness values (0% being black, 100% being white), to lower the underlying layers contentís brightness with a percentage (of the multiply layer) of the colors actual brightness.
It is more complex with color, so let me explain it with simple gray.
If you put a 50% gray atop another 50% gray. And set the top one on multiply, the lower gray is show to be 50% of itís original brightness value, so it becomes a 25% gray.
But with colors over colors it also percentually lowers the distance in hue translated to a lower brightness value. So a 50% blue on top of a 50% orange becomes black.
And does some more things to top that, I donít really know much about that part.

Ok, hmm. I think Iíll make a tutorial, that would be easier to explain. Thatís going to take more time though...
« Last Edit: March 05, 2006, 11:46:38 am by MadGiraffe »

Personal art galleries:

Offline 7LES

• Battlezone Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #489 on: March 05, 2006, 01:26:45 pm »
WOW all your drawings are so cool.

P.S. the evolution video from the front page is a 404 not found. so can you tell me when you fix that.

Offline Hydromancerx

• Master of Orion
  • Klaatu Barada Nikto!
    • View Profile
    • Sagan 4
« Reply #490 on: March 05, 2006, 01:34:20 pm »
9. Use multiply on pencil layer. Ė A very common method. Very very common used for coloring scanned drawings. But you can go further then this, as this way, your lines are always the multiplicity hue of your pencil color. So thatís, grayish black.
And as in real life you donít really have lines, only contrast and darker shades of color, that is what defines the edges.
So you can put it in a different order and recolor the lines by using the Ďcolorí layer setting (after having blocked out the solids of those colors). Iíll explain this more later on.

Are you saying that you want me to shade using like a transparent black layer? What do you do for highlight spots?

10. Color in using soft brushes. Ė Hmm, maybe ok for a style choice, but personally I donít like it that much. As it doesnít define the shape well enough and can get vague, especially for the edges.
But, seeing you donít have a tablet. And it works well enough here. But try some hard brushes, or some custom ones sometimes.

I have a Wacom Tablet its just i almost never use it. I have found i have horrible control in compared to coloring with a mouse. I think its from all the years using a mouse playing gamings and stuff.

11. Shade using burn tool. Ė Eugh, thought something like that yes. Stay, off, the, burn tool. Really it is a horrible tool for shading. The tool actually is for editing photos to touch the shades up a bit, but for shading itself, it is a bad tool.

Why is burn tool bad? And i have found that Sponge too is good for lightening and area too. Like highlights.

Offline Hydromancerx

• Master of Orion
  • Klaatu Barada Nikto!
    • View Profile
    • Sagan 4
« Reply #491 on: March 06, 2006, 12:24:49 am »

In their golden jumpsuits and tracking collar a prisoner Naucean and Kazea shake gaspers as they plan their escape from a Baoba Intergalactic Prison.

Feel free to expand upon this Huggkruka or Red Fish.  :D I want to see where this takes our 3 species.

Plz continue the Drawing Story here...
http://www.gamingsteve.com/blab/index.php?topic=2672.0
« Last Edit: June 19, 2007, 11:30:17 pm by Hydromancerx »

Offline Lambsquirter

• Megamania Megalomaniac
  • Don't play with your food
    • View Profile
« Reply #492 on: March 06, 2006, 01:05:32 am »
hehe...i hope they escape!!!
Under construction

Offline Greg16

• Phoenix Fighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #493 on: March 06, 2006, 01:49:26 am »
Gobblehorn lol....
Will Wright, the original.

Offline raikitsune

• Intellivision Junkie
  • Ogbogistahni
    • View Profile
« Reply #494 on: March 06, 2006, 01:58:24 am »
Why is burn tool bad? And i have found that Sponge too is good for lightening and area too. Like highlights.
finally! someone who agress that the burn and sponge tool were put there for a reason!