Poll

No Poll

Author Topic: Naucean - My New Creature  (Read 719316 times)

Offline Vivec

• Gauntlet Wizard
  • The truth has vanished into darkness...
    • View Profile
Re: Naucean - My New Creature
« Reply #150 on: January 12, 2006, 04:06:47 pm »
Hydor, you are too good at drawing stuff. I think you're cheating.
Vivec, you're the best forum member ever.

Offline 762

• Goddess of Phobos
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: January 12, 2006, 04:09:17 pm »
Yeah. J00 R T3H ÜB3R DR4W H4}{!

Spore countdowns: USA Europe

Offline Hydromancerx

• Master of Orion
  • Klaatu Barada Nikto!
    • View Profile
    • Sagan 4
« Reply #152 on: January 12, 2006, 04:35:19 pm »
Hydor, you are too good at drawing stuff. I think you're cheating.

*Plays his secret copy of Spore, then draws pictures of what he made in game  ;)*

Offline Vivec

• Gauntlet Wizard
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: January 12, 2006, 04:36:29 pm »
That was a low blow. A very low blow.  :'(

Offline Hydromancerx

• Master of Orion
  • Klaatu Barada Nikto!
    • View Profile
    • Sagan 4
« Reply #154 on: January 12, 2006, 04:42:29 pm »
What? Why?

I am kidding ya know... or am i?  8)

Offline smjjames

• Out Run Speedster
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: January 12, 2006, 06:46:27 pm »
um you said: Nauceans can climb fine the use their 6 arms to pull up and their 3 "floots" to step up. Infact they fall less than humans due to how many tenticles.

I think you meant two because I don't think thier tails are that flexible.

anyway, pretty cool foodstuff.

Offline Golgrig

• Star Castle Cadet
  • I am Will Wright's complete lack of suprise.
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: January 12, 2006, 07:50:01 pm »
just a little idea, kind of my thoughts on what land dwelling aquatics might do

the swamp dwelling Nauceans build dams right, wouldn't they also build beaver like lodges
just the image of that house made me think of other things a artificial Naucean lake might mean.
it would provide space for aquatic plants and animals Nauceans could tend like Rice paddies providing an avenue to agricultural revolution.

Quote from: wikipedia
Rice paddies — shallow puddles carefully controlled to ensure the appropriate water depth (typically 15 cm). Rice paddies sometimes serve a dual agricultural purpose by also producing edible fish or frogs, a useful source of protein. The farmers take advantage of the rice plant's tolerance to water: the water in the paddies prevents weeds from outgrowing the crop.... Paddies increase productivity...

just an idea for how to get Hunter gaterers into the "civilizations" stage.
------------------------------------------------------
The tenticles are each like an elephant trunk

wouldn't that mean the tentacle s would be very powerful weapons with the ability to pummel opponents...

--------------------------------------------------------
how did an aquatic race begin using fire, and how would you use the sea vents?
« Last Edit: January 12, 2006, 07:58:00 pm by golgrig »
"6.4 Um's per minute" or "The Speed of Wright

An adventurer in the land of who gives a ****

The idea is to mix one ingredient that will burn very fast with a second ingredient that will supply enough oxygen for that burning. This burns so fast, it's an explosion.

Offline huggkruka

• Space Ace
  • Totally powers
    • View Profile
    • My Digitalart.org profile
« Reply #157 on: January 12, 2006, 10:44:45 pm »
Well, they use their tentacles as weapons, don't they? Only they enhance them with swords and quills.

Offline Hydromancerx

• Master of Orion
  • Klaatu Barada Nikto!
    • View Profile
    • Sagan 4
« Reply #158 on: January 12, 2006, 11:29:01 pm »
um you said: Nauceans can climb fine the use their 6 arms to pull up and their 3 "floots" to step up. Infact they fall less than humans due to how many tenticles.

I think you meant two because I don't think thier tails are that flexible.

anyway, pretty cool foodstuff.

Yeah sorry i ment TWO

just a little idea, kind of my thoughts on what land dwelling aquatics might do

the swamp dwelling Nauceans build dams right, wouldn't they also build beaver like lodges
just the image of that house made me think of other things a artificial Naucean lake might mean.
it would provide space for aquatic plants and animals Nauceans could tend like Rice paddies providing an avenue to agricultural revolution.

Quote from: wikipedia
Rice paddies — shallow puddles carefully controlled to ensure the appropriate water depth (typically 15 cm). Rice paddies sometimes serve a dual agricultural purpose by also producing edible fish or frogs, a useful source of protein. The farmers take advantage of the rice plant's tolerance to water: the water in the paddies prevents weeds from outgrowing the crop.... Paddies increase productivity...

just an idea for how to get Hunter gaterers into the "civilizations" stage.
------------------------------------------------------
The tenticles are each like an elephant trunk

wouldn't that mean the tentacle s would be very powerful weapons with the ability to pummel opponents...

--------------------------------------------------------
how did an aquatic race begin using fire, and how would you use the sea vents?

Good idea for the dams and lodges. I think i will have to add that.

Oh and they don't have "rice" but i am sure i can evolve soem sorrta of aquatic plain that can be cooked (like rice) or ground into bread (like wheat).

Yes the they are stong and can pummel look at my picture of the punching daggers. Thoe are very effective. which is why the Grassland Tribe use it as their weapon of choice.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2006, 11:33:27 pm by Hydromancerx »

Offline Vivec

• Gauntlet Wizard
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: January 12, 2006, 11:52:47 pm »
What? Why?

I am kidding ya know... or am i?  8)

I sort of felt like saying that, That's why. And yes, I know you're kidding.

Offline Hydromancerx

• Master of Orion
  • Klaatu Barada Nikto!
    • View Profile
    • Sagan 4
« Reply #160 on: January 13, 2006, 02:43:35 am »

This picture is in response to peoples questions.

The left picture is to the question if Nauceans can climb ladders. As you can see the desert tribe can climb just fine and keep many tentacles on each rung as well as the main weight on the 2 "fleet". Also the desert Nauceans are smaller. Not as small as the jungle but around the size as the mountain and cave Nacueans and still smaller than the River, Swamp, Ocean and Grassland.

The right picture is showing how well the small Jungle Nauceans can swing through the treetops of the jungle. They use the 2 main tentacles to hold most of the weight then use 2 smaller to support the more developed ones and then the other 2 move to the next spot so the more developed knows where to go next. It's very cool to see as well as how fast they go.

The bottom is a Ocean Tribe Fire Pit. So many asked how they use fire. They float this on the surface while still attaching it to the bottom.These floating fire pits are used for cooking, ceremony and some metallurgy (though not very much since they have to swim with it).

Enjoy and i hope this gives you a better visual than anything that i could describe.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2007, 09:43:54 pm by Hydromancerx »

Offline huggkruka

• Space Ace
  • Totally powers
    • View Profile
    • My Digitalart.org profile
« Reply #161 on: January 13, 2006, 03:34:32 am »
Cool, a fire on the water... It's not a very stormy ocean is it? Or do they posses lighting tools(like flintstone)? I imagine they'll have to have that if the fire pit turned over... anyway, it's an interesting question. What will the aquatic animals have instead of a fireplace?

Offline Hydromancerx

• Master of Orion
  • Klaatu Barada Nikto!
    • View Profile
    • Sagan 4
« Reply #162 on: January 13, 2006, 04:06:49 am »
Cool, a fire on the water... It's not a very stormy ocean is it? Or do they posses lighting tools(like flintstone)? I imagine they'll have to have that if the fire pit turned over... anyway, it's an interesting question. What will the aquatic animals have instead of a fireplace?

They get storms which means they have to rebuild. OR they put out the fire and pull it down below the water. Since you can close up the doors and make it water tight like their homes.

They first discovered fire on the snores of their homes. Then later learned of flint by the desert tribe whom were the first to leave to the flooded shallow sea which was once where the desert was. It was only later after the water went back did they become less aquatic. Those who stayed became the desert tribe and the rest went East to the next deepest shallow sea and stayed as the ocean tribe. In this time they would still trade the desert tribe would trade flint for ocean food (like fish and stuff).

The river, swamp and jungle split next all around the same time. Neither wished to have such dry lifestyle as the desert but not as aquatic as the ocean. This love of the shallows lead them to where they live today. However as the storms got worse on the coast for the jungle tribe they had to go deeper into the forest. Thus they eventually looked for other methods like arboreal life in the canopy.

Later on after the river tribe was more established different tribes got more separated until the grassland, mountain and river were distint races. Then after the great war of the stone age the mountain tribe spit into the cave and mountain. Those what stay were the mountain and those who hid underground from the grassland tribe became the cave tribe.

Lots of time pasted and the races became more and more different from each other. But not so much so that they still cannot breed. However some combinations do not breed as well. For instance half cave half desert are very rare and hard to get healthy offspring.

Anywho to answer "What will the aquatic animals have instead of a fireplace?" I have no idea what fully aquatic races will do in spore. Thats one reason i made my amphibious.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2006, 04:08:53 am by Hydromancerx »

Offline Zneeezzz

• Mystery House Madman
    • View Profile
SV: Re: Naucean - My New Creature
« Reply #163 on: January 13, 2006, 06:05:44 am »

This picture is in response to peoples questions.

The left picture is to the question if Nauceans can climb ladders. As you can see the desert tribe can climb just fine and keep many tentacles on each rung as well as the main weight on the 2 "fleet". Also the desert Nauceans are smaller. Not as small as the jungle but around the size as the mountain and cave Nacueans and still smaller than the River, Swamp, Ocean and Grassland.

The right picture is showing how well the small Jungle Nauceans can swing through the treetops of the jungle. They use the 2 main tentacles to hold most of the weight then use 2 smaller to support the more developed ones and then the other 2 move to the next spot so the more developed knows where to go next. It's very cool to see as well as how fast they go.

The bottom is a Ocean Tribe Fire Pit. So many asked how they use fire. They float this on the surface while still attaching it to the bottom.These floating fire pits are used for cooking, ceremony and some metallurgy (though not very much since they have to swim with it).

Enjoy and i hope this gives you a better visual than anything that i could describe.
:o

That explains alot, thank you  :)

Offline Hydromancerx

• Master of Orion
  • Klaatu Barada Nikto!
    • View Profile
    • Sagan 4
« Reply #164 on: January 13, 2006, 07:25:09 pm »

I have been thinking of this for a long time. What creature would a Naucean need sicne they are built like a raptor or ostrich. I did not want them to ride a creature that looked to much like them. Then i thought what would i need a mount for if they could run preaty fast. Ah they need something for construction. Thus i got the idea of an elephant-like creature i call the lystrophant. "Lystro" means "shovel" in Latin, thus this could shovel dirt and move it as well as carry large loads of lumber in the duel trunks.

These creatures are larger than Earth's elephants. They live on the grasslands of the planet and were first domesticated by the Grassland Tribe. But have spread to other regions like the River tribe. As you can see they eat alot so only a small herd is needed per village. They are mainly used for constriction but have been known to use for war.

Lystrophants are actually quite smart and can learn many commands. A Lystrophant rider i bonded to a calf when just a child and raised together for the rest of their lives. A Naucean family is lucky to have a child bonded to their families lystrophant.

As you can see they have 6 tentacles just like a Nauceans except two of them have formed tusks. These tusk can be used to hold lumber on or uproot trees and dirt or even used in warfare. Lystrophants like water too to cool off but are not used by the ocean tribe because they must have land. The swamp tribe have yet to get Lystrophants because no ship can hold them yet. And cave Nauceans do not have them because it is too small for them to fit.

Mountain Nauceans have tried to raise them but do to the lack of food for them they cannot support them. Desert and jungle tribe however do use them alot. Especially in making their homes atop jungle trees and desert cliffs.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2007, 09:51:35 pm by Hydromancerx »