Poll

No Poll

Author Topic: Naucean - My New Creature  (Read 719766 times)

Offline Blarg

• Krull Slayer
  • HE'S BACK IN BLACK
    • View Profile
Re: Naucean - My New Creature
« Reply #2310 on: February 17, 2008, 02:06:50 pm »
I think that could be why pretty much all the creatures around here are humanoids.

*ahem*  :(

Better to live like there was a God, then die and find out there isn't than to live like there wasn't a God then die and find out there is.

Christianity is a relationship, not a religion.

Offline 7 who ate 9

• Ms. Pac-Man Worshiper
  • I'm actually a pretty optimistic guy...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2311 on: February 17, 2008, 03:52:10 pm »
I think that could be why pretty much all the creatures around here are humanoids.

*ahem*  :(

Thats not a bad thing, and yours isn't. A lot aren't but there are more that our huminoid.
Quote from: Quantum Burrito
Mary Poppins was hot. Full of golden ratio goodness. I'd be the derivative of her function any day of the week.
We'll hold that against you until you leave these forums you know :P

Offline The Time Traveller

• Cobra Commander
  • Building a better yesterday tomorrow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2312 on: February 17, 2008, 07:23:54 pm »
Would one call Elbeasts humanoid?  They have three arms and two legs.
Warning: Hot.  Choking Hazard for children under 3.  Please do not exit until the vehicle comes to a complete stop.  EULA removes all human rights.  Special features are not rated.  Side effects include  cardiac arrest and spontaneous falling off of body parts.  May contain nuts.  Acts are being performed by trained proffesionals.  Results not typical.  Thank you for flying with United Airlines.

Offline 7 who ate 9

• Ms. Pac-Man Worshiper
    • View Profile
« Reply #2313 on: February 17, 2008, 08:17:18 pm »
Would one call Elbeasts humanoid?  They have three arms and two legs.

Yes. But again, not an insult. Plus, I love your creature.
Mary Poppins was hot. Full of golden ratio goodness. I'd be the derivative of her function any day of the week.

Offline Hydromancerx

• Master of Orion
  • Klaatu Barada Nikto!
    • View Profile
    • Sagan 4
« Reply #2314 on: February 17, 2008, 10:44:00 pm »
Well the naucean is a biped with 2 handed tentacles and 4 without. It is similar but then again still alien. Which is why i think it worked so well.

Offline Yuu

• Civilization Emperor
  • = )
    • View Profile
    • KOSMOSIS CHRONICLES dA Page
« Reply #2315 on: February 18, 2008, 01:28:20 am »
Whenever I see a Naucean, I always remember Stitch's cousins. :)

Offline Hydromancerx

• Master of Orion
  • Klaatu Barada Nikto!
    • View Profile
    • Sagan 4
« Reply #2316 on: February 18, 2008, 01:36:05 am »
Whenever I see a Naucean, I always remember Stitch's cousins. :)

Is it because he has Dr. Jumba Jookiba's style eyes?

Offline OathinBlood

• Fishing Derby Champion
  • Cthulhu Cultist
    • View Profile
    • Genesis - Spore Game Forum
« Reply #2317 on: February 18, 2008, 08:23:05 pm »
Well the naucean is a biped with 2 handed tentacles and 4 without. It is similar but then again still alien. Which is why i think it worked so well.
What I don't like about them, and don't take this as an insult, because it's not - I have extremely 'hard' views on sci-fi. Hell, nothing but my own things can please me, so don't blame yourself.  But I think the Naucean's history is faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaar too human. The fact that they'd be carbon-based life-forms with the same emotions as Earth creatures in itself is amazing, but this really has to be a given or else it will be beyond our comprehension. Still - their timeline is basically human, and they suffer from what I've dubbed 'human alien syndrome'. They're like white-washed Asian people, only they're human-washed aliens. There's nothing really alien about them, let alone their bodies. They're human people living human lives in an alien's body. Some things are 'alien-ed' up to appear more odd, but all in all they are quite human, which is what bugs me. Even if you 'rebooted' humans, whole new cultures would form and things that have never been invented before would be invented, and things that were common would never have been invented.

Again, just a little constructive criticism. I still appreciate the tremendous amount of detail that has gone into them - they truly are among the most described of all fictional races I have ever seen.
Quote from: Plank of Wood
It's a lot quicker to type normally than to move your finger over the shift button constantly, meaning you eat slightly more food in your life time. That extra food you have to eat could feed a whole nation of chinchillas!

gec05

« Reply #2318 on: February 18, 2008, 09:41:06 pm »
Then again, why is it so successful?

It takes a lot of thought to create something endearing and familiar to the human audience. When you think about franchises such as Star Wars, you have to deeply consider how those stories have adapted human history into them. It may be pretty blatant to rip off another story everyone is familiar with, but if you can manage to blend it with your own ideas then you have something. I think Hydro did that very well.

Offline Hydromancerx

• Master of Orion
  • Klaatu Barada Nikto!
    • View Profile
    • Sagan 4
« Reply #2319 on: February 18, 2008, 10:48:24 pm »
I am not offended at all. In fact that one fact that has kept me from going back to them. Every time I want to add stuff i think, well I would need to redo this or that. Eventually it gets me want to start all over.

But really i think it was successful because of the 4 factors

1. People like dinosaurs and this looks dinosaur-ish.
2. People like dolphins and this looks dolphin-ish.
3. People like aliens with tentacles.
4. People like aliens with familiar human behavior they can relate to.

Cause if you think about it lets say it looked like a human but did not act like one. It suddenly become creepy  like a zombie or android. But even with the Naucean looking like a dino/dolphn/squid hybrid they still had that humanistic quality which people can relate to.

Offline OathinBlood

• Fishing Derby Champion
  • Cthulhu Cultist
    • View Profile
    • Genesis - Spore Game Forum
« Reply #2320 on: February 19, 2008, 12:50:45 am »
Yeah, I know what you mean. You captured that fine line between being interesting enough by being alien yet being familiar enough to be endearing. I mean, you could create the histories of a sapient gaseous life-form whose emotions were too alien for us to understand, and although it'd be cool, we couldn't exactly relate to it.
Quote from: Plank of Wood
It's a lot quicker to type normally than to move your finger over the shift button constantly, meaning you eat slightly more food in your life time. That extra food you have to eat could feed a whole nation of chinchillas!

gec05

« Reply #2321 on: February 19, 2008, 09:54:35 am »
Yeah, I know what you mean. You captured that fine line between being interesting enough by being alien yet being familiar enough to be endearing. I mean, you could create the histories of a sapient gaseous life-form whose emotions were too alien for us to understand, and although it'd be cool, we couldn't exactly relate to it.

It definitely won't take off with the casual mainstream crowd. That would be our target once Spore comes out.

Offline Robertbobby91

• Time Pilot Trekker
  • Don't forget to vote.
    • View Profile
    • If silence is golden, then my house is pyrite
« Reply #2322 on: February 19, 2008, 11:26:48 am »
THAT'S IT! I'm doing what's been done with the Naucean to my Oilphans. I'm going to be the #2 most popular creature of Spore, I know I'll never beat the Naucean.

This is a work of genius by the way.

Visit my blog: http://robertbobby91.blogspot.com/

SAT: Critical Reading: 680 Math: 720,  Writing: 690,  essay: 12
WOOT! 2090 TOTAL!!!!

Offline 7 who ate 9

• Ms. Pac-Man Worshiper
    • View Profile
« Reply #2323 on: February 19, 2008, 07:54:16 pm »

Thats what I tried with my creature. I think I got like 5 replies..... I don't like how people only like things they can relate to.

Offline Inkling

• S.T.U.N. Runner
  • Not a Squid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2324 on: February 19, 2008, 08:16:11 pm »
So, why are we posting in this thread again?  There hasn't been any new Naucean stuff in months, and I think Hydro said he was pretty much done with them.
Probably not a Goat, either.