Poll

No Poll

Author Topic: Naucean - My New Creature  (Read 537454 times)

Offline Piloteer

• Marble Madness Maniac
  • We're going to hit the mountain!
    • View Profile
Re: Naucean - My New Creature
« Reply #15 on: November 26, 2005, 03:09:54 pm »
Hey, thats an awesome creature!

Offline Hydromancerx

• Master of Orion
  • Klaatu Barada Nikto!
    • View Profile
    • Sagan 4
« Reply #16 on: November 26, 2005, 06:09:28 pm »
Where do you get 3-D Studio Max???

I want to create my own 3-D guy

Probabably at school. And it probably costs about $1000. If you don't have it somewhere, don't count on buying it.

You can get their FREE lite version called G-max. Many people use them to make 3D models for diffrent video game hacks.

You can make what i did with g-max no problem. Its just i use 3DS Max because i need it for school. And I got it at the student price rather than the professional price since i am going to school. So even though it is up there in price its still alot better than if you just went and got it.

Also if you thinking about getting some bootleg copy, don't. Its not worth it. I have tried and failed. G-max is way better than any 3DS Max bootleg you can get. Heck i would have stayed with gmax if it were not required for my classes.

So if you are interested in trying out on your own then try the free link below. I highly recomend gmax for those who want to test the waters of CGI.

G-max
http://www.turbosquid.com/gmax

Offline Hydromancerx

• Master of Orion
  • Klaatu Barada Nikto!
    • View Profile
    • Sagan 4
« Reply #17 on: November 26, 2005, 07:01:06 pm »

Here is a Naucean Bronze Age warrior from the River Tribe. All warriors are females since they are larger and stronger than the males. Their blue wave pattern represent the waves of the river and the green stripe represent the land on either side.

The armor is padded armor from the wool of their domesticated animals (yet to be created). And the leather from hunted creatures (also yet to be created). The plumes on the helm are actually leave from the tree that grow on the banks of the river in which they live.

The Quill Blade is a unique blade in which it can be thrust like a spear or slashed like a sword.It can also be turned over and used like a club since the end is very hard. It also has inbeded at the end a blue Sapphire which is their tribe's sacred gemstone.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2007, 11:01:16 pm by Hydromancerx »

Offline smjjames

• Dragon Warrior Slime
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 26, 2005, 08:07:35 pm »
It looks vaguely Mesopotamian in style, probably because Mesopotamian cultures (Sumerian and Babylonian, not too sure about Assyrians. The Persians are a later empire) are influenced by the 'fertile cresent' where the Tiber and Euphrates rivers are.

and what is a Floot? is that a typo of Boot?

Offline Borogove

• Venture Conqueror
  • mimsy: adj. - flimsy and miserable :(
    • View Profile
    • Meyermike.com
« Reply #19 on: November 26, 2005, 08:11:39 pm »
Where do you get 3-D Studio Max???

I want to create my own 3-D guy
I got sent a free copy after talking to a guy from Discreet at the 2003 GDC.  If you tell them you're a student it might not be that hard to con them into sending you a copy.
Use those talents you have. You will make it. You will give joy to the world. Take this tip from nature: The woods would be a very silent place if no birds sang except those who sang best.
-- Bernard Meltzer

Check out my games:  http://www.meyermike.com

Offline Samog

• Karate Champ
  • objectivists are dumb
    • View Profile
    • -
« Reply #20 on: November 26, 2005, 08:34:51 pm »
a lot of neat stuff
Is it part of their culture that they design swords that can be used in a non-lethal manner? (also, the thrusting/slashing thing is part of pretty much any sword)
"Fine. Don't believe me. I'm not lying. all your laziness which you mistake for something funney is driving me insane, quit fooling around!  dude this is just wrong, very wrong. reality does not consist of constrained language. go lock this thread malt. I love the payment."4MOD

Offline Hydromancerx

• Master of Orion
  • Klaatu Barada Nikto!
    • View Profile
    • Sagan 4
« Reply #21 on: November 26, 2005, 08:37:19 pm »
It looks vaguely Mesopotamian in style, probably because Mesopotamian cultures (Sumerian and Babylonian, not too sure about Assyrians. The Persians are a later empire) are influenced by the 'fertile cresent' where the Tiber and Euphrates rivers are.

and what is a Floot? is that a typo of Boot?

I tried to mix it up culturalwize, mostly inca looking padded armor, then more egyptian neck thngy, then a an almost roman helm but rather than feather it has leaves more like oceanic cultures. And the blade is sorrta like a spear/scimitar/katana.

As for the "floots" its is my new word for a flipper/boot. Sicne their feet double as a foot and a flipper. Thus they can swim in these "boots" as well as walk in them.

Quote from: Hydromancerx on Today at 04:01:06 PM
a lot of neat stuff
Is it part of their culture that they design swords that can be used in a non-lethal manner? (also, the thrusting/slashing thing is part of pretty much any sword)

Yes and no. It is a part of their culture to bring back captive of war either to be sold back or used as slaves. The weapon itself is poorly made and not very advanced, but after all they are in a more primitive age. Also their gear is limited by weight. Bronze is not light and they have to swim too. So their armor cannot be metal. Except for the helm which is a sighn of power to beable to swim dispite heavt metal on top your head for protection.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2005, 08:48:27 pm by Hydromancerx »

Offline Hydromancerx

• Master of Orion
  • Klaatu Barada Nikto!
    • View Profile
    • Sagan 4
« Reply #22 on: November 26, 2005, 10:00:21 pm »

The Naucean River Tribe live in basket dwellings on the shallows of the rivers. They stand on 4 stilts and a wooden step ladder. On the top is a huge spherical basket supported in the middle by the cental stilts. It has one door an can have windows (none shown here) out of the top is a chimey hole for the cooking fire. The cicular floor is made of wooden planks with fire resistant wood. This structure can also be taken down and floated to a new location. All parts of the structure itself can float. Each house can support 4 to 6 Nauceans.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2007, 11:01:52 pm by Hydromancerx »

Offline huggkruka

• Turkey Shoot Terminator
  • Totally powers
    • View Profile
    • My Digitalart.org profile
« Reply #23 on: November 27, 2005, 02:07:19 pm »
Nice! I hope stilt houses can be built. That house looks great!

Offline Hydromancerx

• Master of Orion
  • Klaatu Barada Nikto!
    • View Profile
    • Sagan 4
« Reply #24 on: November 28, 2005, 03:11:16 am »

Here is a Naucean nest with 2 babies. The babies are a lighter blue than the adults and can swim after birth. But since they live on land mostly it takes them many months to learn to walk and do not leave the nest until they can walk properly. However adults do carry them around in their lower pseudo-mandible at time. They have 1 to 4 offspring at a time. The parent take care of them until they are old enough to walk. At that stage the older grandparents of the tribe take care of the young one not old enough to hunt or gather. Play is an important part of a young Naucean's life. Durring this stage the young ones play hunting games wrestle and swim. They also learn how to use their 6 tentacles. Like a baby elephant's trunk the Naucen must learn how to manipulate these strange limbs. Once mastered they can do very complex actions where each arm can do a separate task. This is important during the hunt when you need to focus on tracking prey and not worrying about your limbs.

As you can see the parent is wearing Floots (flipper boots) which protect the flippers from being cut on sharp rocks. The tail and oral tentacles it has bronze rings which have tribal, religious and family symbols. Lastly they have the neck poncho with their tribes colors on it. This is important to show tribe spirit and unity within the tribe. You may also notice that the body has no clothing. This is because unlike humans they need to water down their body frequently and only wear clothing either as decorative like the rings or poncho or protection as in armor during war or the floot to walk around in. Nauceans also do not have external genitalia thus they do not feel ashamed of being naked. However they do feel modest when such organs are open for urination, deification and copulation.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2007, 11:02:08 pm by Hydromancerx »

Offline Hydromancerx

• Master of Orion
  • Klaatu Barada Nikto!
    • View Profile
    • Sagan 4
« Reply #25 on: November 28, 2005, 05:27:30 am »
I orginally posted this in the "Creature Tree" post. Enjoy!

Creature Tree
http://gamingsteve.com/blab/index.php?topic=1528.0

Name: Naucean
Type: Warm-blooded Bipedal Marine Vertebrate
Lifestyle: Social Omnivore
Habitat: Mangrove-like Wetlands
Size: 10 to 12ft long (females), 8 to 10 ft long (males)
Weight: 300 to 400 lbs (females), 200 to 300 lbs (males)
Diet: Small aquatic creatures, small terrestrial creatures, fruits, seeds, leaves, roots, eggs
Hunt/Forage Success Rate: 50% hunt, 75% forage
Armor: Skin is weak so they make padded armor out of fibers for protection.
Defenses: Strong tail with fluke as well as strong kicking legs. oral tentacles do not hurt but can pull a target into its very sharp beak.
Weapons: No real natural weapons but Bronze Age in technology.
Tools: 2 hand on 2 of the 6 tentacles. Each with 2 fingers and 2 thumbs (one on either side of the hand).
Method of Eating: Grab with tentacles and bring to beak to slice. Then into the gizzard to be ground up then digested and finally out the anus on the opposite end.
Lifespan: About 60 years
Reproductive Rate: Reaches sexual maturity at 12 years. Can reproduce at any time of the year.
Gestation: 6 months then lays egg.
Offspring incubation: 6 months until egg hatches after being laid.
Number of Offspring: 1 to 4
Offspring Survival Rate (before age of maturity): 90% they are raised in a family group and everyone helps raise the babies.
Description: http://gamingsteve.com/blab/index.php?topic=1621.0

Offline MorgothTheEnemy

• Revenging Yar
  • I will find the ring...and eat it FOR THE EMPEROR!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 28, 2005, 08:44:12 pm »
Dam u Hydro and all the sweetness of which that you create!!!!!!

Jk If I meet your creature in Spore ill probably kill it...... but ill give it a head start ;D
Ash Nazg Durbatuluk,
Ash Nazg Gimbatul,
Ash Nazg Thrakatuluk,
Ag Burzum-Ishi Krimpatul!!!

"Then his neighbors looked good, so I gobbled them up too."
                                                                             -762
http://redwing.hutman.net/~mreed/index.htm

Offline Hydromancerx

• Master of Orion
  • Klaatu Barada Nikto!
    • View Profile
    • Sagan 4
« Reply #27 on: November 29, 2005, 02:35:22 am »

Quill Blade -  Light blade that works like a scimitar or a Katana. It can also be trust like a saber or a spear. On the bottom is a wooden knob that can be used as a club.

Double Bladed Longbow - It works like a typical British Longbow but at the ends it has 2 blades. In which can be used like a double bladed scimitar. Also near the handle are two spikes in which can be trust forward like a quarterstaff.

Oral Tentacle Punching Daggers - Like a punching tagger or knife this is put on the 4 other tentacles without fingers. It is strapped on like a glove. Went all 4 are in action no one can get near the head of the Naucean. They can also jump out at the attacker like  squid this stabbing or stashing a foe.

Duel Bladed Snout Axe - Attached to the upper pseudo-mandible this has 2 places on an ax on eather side. They are connected by support to make sure the pseudo-mandible is not crushed upon impact. The throw their heads side to side in a cutting action to slide the sides of an opponent. these are also used for cutting down trees for wood.

Tail Fluke War Flail - Since their tails are extremely powerful for swimming the Nausicans have attached a spiked ball on a rope to make a deadly weapon. They can not only flick it side to side like an ankylosaurus but can flick it over their heads like a scorpions tail. Sadly this is also dangerous to the wearer since it is easy to miss. Only the most trained warrior use these.

Flat Bottomed Potter Bomb - These Flat bottomed pots are fillled with explosive chemicals that explode upon impact. They are flat on the bottom so that can toss with their tails. But they can also sling the around by throwing them like a shotput with their oral tentacles.

Note these are not the most efficient designs for weaponry but they are very exotic and diffrent.

« Last Edit: June 19, 2007, 11:49:01 pm by Hydromancerx »

Offline Hydromancerx

• Master of Orion
  • Klaatu Barada Nikto!
    • View Profile
    • Sagan 4
« Reply #28 on: November 29, 2005, 06:10:31 am »

Here are the symbols for Naucean numbers. They have base 8 system (Octal). Which means they only count up to 8 rather than like us going up to 10. The reason for this is they only have a total of 8 digits on their hands (2 thumbs and 2 fingers on each of the 2 hands). The symbols also represent body parts. the "S" like symbol represents their oral tentacles. They have 3 on each side of the head. Thus this is why the pattern only goes up to 3. the 4 symbol is a V with 2 notches on it. This represents their hands. The 2 big pars of the V represent their 2 fingers and the 2 notches on either side represent their thumbs. Then the first pattern repeats and combined with the 4 until you reach 8. The * symbol represents each of the main arms on the side of the pseudo-mandible. In bump in the center represent the pseudo-mandible. Thus it looks like a Naucean from the top with both handed oral tentacles sicking out.

Once you get past the first 8 you get to add a place holder. an underline at the bottom represents the one (and repeats once you get to hundreds place and so on). Meanwhile the entire number has a line over to top so you can tell that that is a complete number. so you would have a number like ...

Thousands place (symbol with no underline), Hundreds place (symbol with an underline), Tens place (symbol with no underline), Ones place (symbol with underline) and all 4 of those symbols with an overtop line. And you read from Left to right.

Also like the Romans they have not quite discovered zero.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2007, 11:50:23 pm by Hydromancerx »

Offline MorgothTheEnemy

• Revenging Yar
  • I will find the ring...and eat it FOR THE EMPEROR!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 29, 2005, 07:00:41 am »
Hey, i do this sorta stuff all day (ive made or should i say began hundreds of ideas for card games roleplaing games Rts computer games) but im not a good artist.

But im trying

btw i like your numeral system and those weapons are very practical and realistic
Ash Nazg Durbatuluk,
Ash Nazg Gimbatul,
Ash Nazg Thrakatuluk,
Ag Burzum-Ishi Krimpatul!!!

"Then his neighbors looked good, so I gobbled them up too."
                                                                             -762
http://redwing.hutman.net/~mreed/index.htm