A threat to the whole galaxy
0 (0%)
Eh, a pain in the ***, but nada more
7 (46.7%)
meh, not good nor bad
1 (6.7%)
they're kinda cute
0 (0%)
oooh! look at da cutey, cuddly little Shadow! It thinks it's evil...nawww!
7 (46.7%)

Total Members Voted: 15

Author Topic: The Shadow  (Read 28412 times)

Offline GroxGlitch

• Gyruss Gyrusian
  • Somehow, I've even less of a clue what's going on.
    • View Profile
Re: The Shadow
« Reply #75 on: December 12, 2010, 02:47:55 pm »
Ok, they've been dead for a while, in the background.
We can forget about the worldship nonsence, that's water under the bridge.
So I'll work on a major update nao :P
HISTORY AND HOMEWORLD
The real homeworld of the Shadow is somewhere not many expect. During the war with the Phitire, the Shadow overextended their forces later in the war. They just didn't have the volume to take over the entire galaxy, something they may have done had they been more numerous. This overexertion of forces cost them the war, the Phitire, with their advanced technology, able to go on par with the vessels of the Shadow. Many of their most powerful pieces of technology were lost. After a short time, they were beat back to their homeworld and it's orbiting artificial moon of a fortress. While this fortress was armed to the teeth and nearly indestructable, it was of no use in the final battle. The major fleets of the Shadow and Phitire clashed out of weapons range of the fortress, while the Phitire's ace in the hole charged. Just as the Shadow began to gain the upper hand, the Phitire warped in virtually the largest weapon in the galaxy's history at that time: the infamous Splitter Cannon. What this weapon did was create a localized wormhole, linking to another universe. This wormhole had an emmense gravity well, but ate up so much energy it could only stay open for a short time. However, the great beam that ripped open the fabric of space did away with a great number of Shadow forces in it's own right, and the remainder, including the Fortress, were sucked into the wormhole. It wasn't a difficult task to finish the Shadow on the planet off. Seeing a possible issue in the future, the Phitire planted a modified version of their own DNA on the planet, a race that grew up to the race now known as the Photos. Much was indirectly coded into genetic memory, including a language and some technology information. So, the Photos homeworld, Photise, is actually the ancient homeworld of the Shadow, propagated and watched over by the Phitire. Between when the Shadow inhabited it and the Photos, it looks so different you would not know they're the same planet!
POST-WAR
After this crippling defeat, the Shadow were broken. Much of their technology was lost, and they were stranded in an uninhabited, unknown universe. It took them years beyond count to regain enough technological ground to return to their home universe. And their weaponry was set back centuries. The gravitron weapons they use today, though effective and quite powerful, are NOTHING compared to what they had back in their peak. They possesed terrors that were capable of things most modern scientists would be utterly dumbfounded by. Many of these lay scattered accross the galaxy, the same with many of the more deadly Phitire technologies, though that is for another discussion. To put it a certain way, the modern Nameless and the Shadow during their prime would have gotten along perfectly, inbetween attempting to annhilate each other XD. However, the Shadow aren't QUITE as large, nor as aggressive as the Nameless.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2010, 04:42:28 pm by GroxGlitch »

Online SimplyNecro

• Scramble Skipper
  • Blood for the Blood God...
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: December 12, 2010, 04:37:13 pm »
Those magnificent bastards...

It's one thing to blow the crap out of your fleet and drive you off your homeworld via dimensional banishment...

But to leave a literal part of you on the planet, a living scar so to speak.... Thats just a big ole **** you to the Shadow ain't it?

Makes you wonder if the Shadow left anything behind, I can imagine thats why they would really want their homeworld back...
Quote from: The Evil Overlords Handbook
30. All bumbling conjurers, clumsy squires, no-talent bards, and cowardly thieves in the land will be preemptively put to death. My foes will surely give up and abandon their quest if they have no source of comic relief.

Offline GroxGlitch

• Gyruss Gyrusian
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: December 12, 2010, 04:42:02 pm »
Those magnificent bastards...

It's one thing to blow the crap out of your fleet and drive you off your homeworld via dimensional banishment...

But to leave a literal part of you on the planet, a living scar so to speak.... Thats just a big ole **** you to the Shadow ain't it?

Makes you wonder if the Shadow left anything behind, I can imagine thats why they would really want their homeworld back...
A literal part of you?
Little miscombobulation on my part.
The Photos were derived from Phitire DNA, not Shadow. I'll edit it to be more specific.
Thanks, necro! You found an error :D

Online SimplyNecro

• Scramble Skipper
  • Blood for the Blood God...
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: December 12, 2010, 04:48:51 pm »
My mistake too, I was actually referring to the Phitire leaving a part of themselves on the planet. My bad.

Quote from: The Evil Overlords Handbook
30. All bumbling conjurers, clumsy squires, no-talent bards, and cowardly thieves in the land will be preemptively put to death. My foes will surely give up and abandon their quest if they have no source of comic relief.

Offline Yuu

• Civilization Emperor
  • = )
    • View Profile
    • KOSMOSIS CHRONICLES dA Page
« Reply #79 on: December 13, 2010, 06:12:31 pm »
YAK DECULTURE!  ;D

To put it a certain way, the modern Nameless and the Shadow during their prime would have gotten along perfectly, inbetween attempting to annhilate each other XD.

Indeed!  Xp

Ps. sorry for not posting in the RP yet, exams and such.

End of this week, I'll be free til January, though.  :)

Offline GroxGlitch

• Gyruss Gyrusian
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: January 13, 2011, 08:59:58 pm »
LOST TECHNOLOGIES OF THE SHADOW
INERTIA-LESS DRIVES: Though a rare sight even in during manufacturing, the Shadow during their heyday possessed a form of Inertia-less Drive, which worked by projecting a weak warp field (the same used by some races for pseudo-FTL travel) and used this "bubble" to cheat Inertia. However, the material and energy costs were staggering, and few ships were equipped with these devices.

OBELISKS: These strange weapons known as "Obelisks" to most were towering, obsidian-looking constructs of immense power. The pieces of these devices were suspended with each other using Gravitron beams, and a Gravitron field for propulsion. A typical attack was a focused Gravitron attack pulled from the Gravitron beams and field, though most were equipped with more fearsome weapons. Their real strength, however, was surprise: they could remain offline and connected, looking much like an obelisk, where their name is derived from. However, getting close would result in a surprise and death. Even if you got to it first, they were still incredibly hardy: Many armies would have a difficult time taking but one of these things on, without orbital support. Size varies, from only a foot or so to towering monoliths of over 75 feet.

OBLITERATOR CANNONS: Obliterator cannons were weapons that fired an unstable bolt of particles that resulted in a small-scale nuclear detonation on impact with solid matter. Similar in function and result to the Photos' Mass-Reactive Cannon, but much more refined and powerful.

(I'll edit with more, but for now, I have to go to bed. I'll add more tomorrow.)

Offline Yuu

• Civilization Emperor
  • = )
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: January 14, 2011, 12:35:12 am »
INERTIA-LESS DRIVES:

Reminds me of Jehuty's Zero Shift.  8)

OBELISKS:

Hopefully, there aren't any much left, especially in areas prospected for colonization.

One of these attacking a colony would be pretty awkward, to say the least.  ;D

OBLITERATOR CANNONS:

Same in principle as the Milika's atom crushers, huh?

Offline Kenotai

• Krull Slayer
  • Wint firinoint vai.
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: January 15, 2011, 06:28:33 pm »
@Yuu

"Vykusi Atom Breakers"

Gosh.

And they don't sound alike at all to me.
Visit, Vote, Vykusi - New Poll 9/01/08

Quote from: Little
I, for a fact, quite like Keno[tai]. He's my favorite.

Offline Yuu

• Civilization Emperor
  • = )
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: January 16, 2011, 04:14:01 am »
@Yuu

"Vykusi Atom Breakers"

Gosh.

Sorry 'bout the mix up, I was probably thinking about Twin-Pair Annihilation Reaction Weapons.

Also, yup, the Vykusi, not the Milika. >_<

I might have also swapped the Atom Breakers' function with that of the Reaction Weapons, sorry.  >_>

Offline GroxGlitch

• Gyruss Gyrusian
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: March 19, 2011, 08:24:30 am »
A little update for the Shadow.

BT-1 Scythe Battletank:
(Oooh, the render came out choppy. must have been an upload issue. Ah well, makes it look more like a vidfeed XD)

The BT-1 Scythe is the vehicle that fills the role of tank in the Shadow military. It's only weapon is a massive Graviton Cannon mounted on a turreted housing. It has a full 360* range of movement, but it can only angle up so far. The Scythe can "dig in" and become a low-power anti-orbital weapon. Like most Shadow ground units, it is well armored and very powerful, but not particularly fast. It also has a bigger brother, the Sickle, though I'll go over THAT when I have a picture for it.

B-201 "Halycon" Bombarder:

A ship designed for bombarding planets and giving orbital support fire, also armed with a cloaking field generator. The problem with the CFG is that when engaged, the ship cannot use it's weapons. It's only gun, a high power Gravitron Beam, can be elevated far enough to hit other ships equal in hight with it. It is known for harassing until reinforcements arrive, taking potshots then sneaking away with it's cloak. However, sensors still pick it up, so it isn't foolproof.

Offline Yuu

• Civilization Emperor
  • = )
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: March 19, 2011, 04:55:30 pm »
(Oooh, the render came out choppy. must have been an upload issue. Ah well, makes it look more like a vidfeed XD)

Actually, I kinda like it this way.

Gives off a certain fell to it.

Offline GroxGlitch

• Gyruss Gyrusian
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: August 04, 2011, 09:54:38 pm »
Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

D:<
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The Infiltrator-class Lander is a Shadow vessel used for ferrying whatever needs transport from spacecraft to a planet's surface. For a lander, they're rather large, but due to this it means that usually, there's no more than one in use for a certain operation. They are armed standard with 4 Obliterator cannons and smaller Gravitron cannons in large amounts. However, as the Obliterator Cannons cease to work, they're usually replaced with Gravitron Obliterators, a similar yet weaker weapon.

Side

Firing the Gravitron Obliterators

Offline Yuu

• Civilization Emperor
  • = )
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: August 05, 2011, 09:39:26 am »
AWW YEAH!

That's some wicked texture going on there!

Really, is that even a texture, or did you pit it on by scratch?! :O

Offline GroxGlitch

• Gyruss Gyrusian
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: August 05, 2011, 09:52:15 am »
It's a texture, but I put a lot of tricky stuff into into it, whereas normally I don't. The thing that really makes it stand out is the white areas of the texture actually have a glow effect attached to the texture map, which I managed to enable and create that neat glow effect.

Offline GroxGlitch

• Gyruss Gyrusian
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: October 11, 2011, 10:53:55 am »
BT-2 Sickle:
The BT-2 Sickle is the "heavy tank" of the Shadow military force. Standing at 30 Feet/9.144 Meteres tall, the BT-2 towers over most combat units. Fast, agile, and armed with a pair of Gravitron Obliterators, the Sickle causes a lot of destruction in short order. Sickles are able to take on most of the mechs of the Photo's Waratica division and still be in good enough shape to continue their rampage. As if their speed and maneuverability aren't bad enough, they're also equipped with a teleportation unit that allows them to make a long-distance jump or several short-range hops. They're commonly found in groups of up to three walkers. One downside is that the way their guns are mounted; if a powerful weapon connects, it tends to blow the gun off.