Author Topic: E3 - 2009  (Read 11160 times)

Offline Didero

• Turkey Shoot Terminator
    • View Profile
Re: E3 - 2009
« Reply #60 on: June 05, 2009, 07:23:36 am »

Offline ilikesanta

• Karateka Krazy
  • '06 Time Magizine Person of the Year
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: June 05, 2009, 08:18:01 am »
Are you at E3? or watching the live feed?
No I was just watching live feeds.

Here's my thoughts on the Wii Motion Plus Vs. Natal Vs. Eye Toy Argument.

Wii Motion Plus. This is what Nintendo promised us from the beginning, so I can't help but feel jaded. The Video that they showed at their conference that showed a guy with a samurai sword then the screen flashes and he's holding a Wii-Mote w/ Motion plus is the same freaking video from when they first introduced us to the Wii-mote, the one where the guy jumps behind his couch and shoots and with the girl chopping vegetables. (Almost like this trailer Sorry couldn't find the one I'm talking about.) The original Video sparked our imaginations and gave us hope that it would bring in a new era of gaming, but in reality we just make small flicking motions instead of full on swings. WM+ is too little, too late.

New Eye-Toy Controller(s).  This looks like a better evolution to the Wii-mote than the WM+. Sadly at the Sony conference all they had were tec demos and no real games. Pat makes a good point, "Nintendo still has a firm grip on the mediocre motion controlled game genre." The only games i see coming from Sony, for their motion controller, seem mediocre. A plus for Sony is that they say it's coming out next Spring.

Project Natal. A couple negatives for Microsoft is we have no idea when we will see this thing come out. Their video showed us games that looked like the next evolution of games for the Original Eye-toy. The games they showed looked like games, well souped up tec-demos, but I want more depth. The good thing about Natal is that you don't need a controller, has voice recognition (something MS has been working on for ten plus years now), can scan images... Natal is the only one that has potential of changing the way people play games in the future, and that is what attracts me most to it.

With that being said there's nothing stopping Nintendo form releasing five more attachments and have it work like natal, or MS from coming out with magic wands mimicking sony's eye toy. I think pat is right in saying that it won't matter until next generation when everyone starts out with fancy motion controller/camera scanners.

In conclusion: Pat's right!
I need a new tag.
My Spore Creatures

Offline Celdur

• R-Type Force Pod
  • :33
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: June 05, 2009, 08:26:26 am »

Quote from: Krakow sam
That quote is actualy very witty, Celdur. I suggest you use that in your signature.

Offline Lippy

• Galaga General
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: June 05, 2009, 08:29:57 am »
They got Dominic Armato back as the voice of Guybrush.  Awesome. 

And to add to ilikesanta, and to some extent, Pat...  Natal, and the Sony controller would not be coming out if Nintendo didn't pave the way with the wii-mote.  But competition is good.  Let's hope MS and Sony (and Nintendo) learn from Nintendo's weaknesses and make it better.   Which in turn, leads to opposing consoles also coming out with something new and better. 

This generation of consoles seems transitional.  Not as big of a leap between generations.  The next generation is hopefully where it'll be. 

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #64 on: June 05, 2009, 11:34:10 am »
Also just to spice things up a bit, don't forget about Ubisoft's camera for the Wii. I will say firmly (and with no evidence to back me) that it is nowhere near as complex as Microsoft's camera; however, it does so several similar things. I'd wager that Nintendo will take advantage of that by having Ubisoft release their camera first and to trying to get some first and third party games out for the new hardware. It's a perfect strategy to counter Microsoft's move toward the controller-less game console because it might be not Natal, but it's enough like Natal to rope in Average Joe Consumer without having to answer too many questions.

Offline Lippy

• Galaga General
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: June 05, 2009, 12:56:33 pm »
Yeah, it not the camera as much as the software analyzing the input.   But I'm sure the Natal might have hard coded methods on board, as well as a sensor for getting distance to the camera for full body tracking.  Think of TrackIR for the PC. Microsoft just went and took existing tech and put it together in one unit.

What interests me most about Natal is the speech recognition, and speech synthesis.  Having convincing speech synthesis would help out a lot with games like Fallout, where every other character you meet has the same actor doing the voice.  Like Will Wright saying the artistic content goes up, so does all of the audio content for doing RPGs with full speech.  They only devote a little bit of the resource pie to paying voice actors to record a few lines of dialog per character. 

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #66 on: June 05, 2009, 01:01:13 pm »
Here's some interesting Nintendo talk from E3.

Part 1 and Part 2. I love corporate jockeying and I love the somewhat real way that Kaigler answers the questions. She's got that winning attitude!

Offline martyk

• Simon Belmont
  • Never underestimate the power of dolphin!
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: June 05, 2009, 11:46:46 pm »
Gleee!  Project Natal!
Quote from: Doctor Zay
Martyk is a handsome fish.
Quote from: Brandonazz
This dolphin is delicious.
<Sgore> Martyk, mentally I always picture you as like, our forums bartender.
<Neoadept> I've always pictured you trapped in a tuna net