Author Topic: 2009 North Korean Nuclear Test  (Read 20469 times)

Offline Inkling

• Strider Hiryu
  • Not a Squid.
    • View Profile
Re: 2009 North Korean Nuclear Test
« Reply #45 on: May 27, 2009, 03:14:02 pm »
By check do you mean inspect the ship or stop the ship?  Also, North Korean leadership might be prone to hyperbole.
Probably not a Goat, either.

Offline Plank of Wood

• Final Fighter
  • Ka-Boom!
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 27, 2009, 03:25:35 pm »
Here be Swearing  ****ing bastard foriegn countries bastarding making nukes ****ing for the sake of it and bloody ****ing Geo****ing political issues ****ing going to kill us all I just want to live ****ing not in a bloody ****ing fallout shelter on ****ing Cambridge-on-sea thanks to ****ing bloody World War 3 and bloody global warming mother****ing.

My views.
the real saviour of this forum

Offline Legodragonxp

• Excitebike Gearhead
  • Now for some real user power...
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 27, 2009, 03:39:31 pm »
From CNN

North Korea warned Wednesday that any attempt to stop, board or inspect its ships would constitute a "grave violation."

The regime also said it could no longer promise the safety of U.S. and South Korean warships and civilian vessels in the waters near the Korea's western maritime border.

"They should bear in mind that the (North) has tremendous military muscle and its own method of strike able to conquer any targets in its vicinity at one stroke or hit the U.S. on the raw, if necessary," the army said in a statement carried by state media.

Clinton (SecState) is reminding the world that the US will defend Japan and South Korea if shots are fired...

Now the world sits and waits to see what China does.

-Lego

Offline Raz

• Questron Serf
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 27, 2009, 05:11:05 pm »
China should just gobble North Korea up... It's useless land, but they would be liberating the oppressed and brain-washed peoples there.

Offline Gungnir

• SunDog Pilot
  • Bbrrrraaaaaiiiiinnnnssss
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 27, 2009, 07:10:02 pm »
I propose giant bulldozers. To bulldozer north korea into space. For serial.

Then we can nuke them.
They're collectible! Sorta...

Offline SBD

• Duck Hunter
  • It stands for Ship-Borne Dive bomber, people.
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: May 27, 2009, 07:57:49 pm »
I propose giant bulldozers. To bulldozer north korea into space. For serial.

Then we can nuke them.

Or we could, you know, try and unify Korea.

Offline Inkling

• Strider Hiryu
  • Not a Squid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 27, 2009, 08:52:34 pm »
I think (I hope) that the last announcement from North Korea is just sword rattling.  But when that sword is a nuke, rattling it can lead to very bad things.
Probably not a Goat, either.

Offline Doomsday

• Track and Field Jock
  • And, boom goes the dynamite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 27, 2009, 09:10:27 pm »
Who knows? Maybe Kim Jon-Il died (he has been very ill), and his successor is trying to portray a strong North Korea when perhaps it is in a moment of weakness. I'm just making stuff up, but who knows what's going on with a government like that, that is run by a madman. Maybe they're pissed because they aren't getting the humanitarian aide they wanted from holding 2 Journalists, so they threaten nuclear activity in a stupid attempt for the attention they need. Their leader doesn't seem to be very smart, well in the geo-politic sense. If you want help you don't threaten war with your neighbors or the US.
"Never gonna give you up. Never gonna let you down. Never gonna run around and hurt you." - Elvis Presley

Offline Josasa

• Commando Soldier
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 27, 2009, 09:32:00 pm »
There were actually several articles a while back proposing that Kimmy did actually die and that one of his look alikes took power. Somehow they were able to get a picture and the man was actually several inches shorter (although who can really tell when he wears those weird platform shoes) and that he had missed several large rallies after being sick for some time. This was a while back, mind you, and even if he has passed away it appears that another psycho has taken the reigns.

I just find it interesting how the majority of Europeans look at the U.S. with disdain because of our nuclear weapons. My U.S. history teacher actually pointed that out, stating that it was after the Cuban Missile Crisis that the rest of the world realized that the U.S. would sacrifice Europe in order to save itself. So this does seem to be true from the opinions mentioned here.

The strange thing though, is that France and the United Kingdom both have nuclear weapons, although they are of a smaller 'role' (no offense meant here) in world politics.

I almost think that Iran keeps talking about nukes to get Israel heated up to the point that they will commit a first-strike (as they have done numerous times on numerous occasions. The most recent being on Syrian installations in both Dec and Nov of 2007). It's almost a brilliant scheme as they attempt to make Israel look like the bad guy while possibly gaining support from nations worldwide where they wouldn't have before.

Offline Legodragonxp

• Excitebike Gearhead
  • Now for some real user power...
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 27, 2009, 09:59:20 pm »
In response to the comments above, there was something in the 60s called MLF - MultiLateral Force where nuclear armed warships (nukes supplied by the US to other nations) would be operated by NATO crews thereby spreading the 'power' to Europe to respond to a nuclear attack. There were tons of issues that never were resolved, one of the biggest being that NATO wanted US submarines but basically were not able to afford, build, or maintain them. The explanation was the surface ships would be good enough. The only thing that really ever came out of it was another funny song by Tom Lerher.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wB7PRY1Aqds" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wB7PRY1Aqds</a>

The biggest problemwith Korea's saber rattling is that they basically have nothing to lose.The country cannot survive on its own. China is a huge supplier of aid (although theft from railcars bringing food aid to Korea from China has been a huge issue lately) and resells crude oil at 'friendly prices'. Japan and South Korea also shovel food to NK. Basically North Korea is extorting resources from other nations and we continue to pay because food is cheaper than body bags.

I think all the major powers want to see a reunited Korea, but there is the Cold War spectre of 'which side will take control?'.

You also need to rememeber that this is still a warzone. Yeah, its been faily quiet for over 50 years, but the war still exists. If NK starts firing artillery, that will be 300,000 rounds an hour raining down on South Korea. That capacity has been there for many years. Nukes however allow for, what was a 'contained event' to finally breach its borders internationally. Even China needs to fear this issue now. A single nuclear weapon cracking the Three Gorges Dam could kill millions.

-Lego

Sorry but I have to laugh that the 50s and 60s are basically happening again:
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kTKn1aSOyOs" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kTKn1aSOyOs</a>

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pklr0UD9eSo" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pklr0UD9eSo</a>

« Last Edit: May 27, 2009, 10:15:21 pm by Legodragonxp »

Offline Huckbuck

• Balloon Fight Aerialist
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 27, 2009, 11:45:05 pm »
I don't think there will be a World War 3 unless Someone joins up with North Korea. If they stand alone then they will get wiped out pretty quickly, and I assume they know this so I doubt they would be to aggressive without a strong alliance.
@davidramnero

Offline Plank of Wood

• Final Fighter
  • Ka-Boom!
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: May 28, 2009, 04:43:36 am »
I'm assuming that the moment that nukes are sent over Russia they'll be shot down, send them to the US and the uber-lazor system which they apparently have will shoot them down. So that Leaves Japan, China and South Korea at risk.

I personally think the "Leave them the hell alone" tactic may work. Followed by the "They've used most of their nukes in the test! Now investigate their arses!" strategem.
the real saviour of this forum

Offline Doomsday

• Track and Field Jock
  • And, boom goes the dynamite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: May 28, 2009, 06:01:25 am »
I'm assuming that the moment that nukes are sent over Russia they'll be shot down, send them to the US and the uber-lazor system which they apparently have will shoot them down. So that Leaves Japan, China and South Korea at risk.

If relations weren't so strained with Russia, despite improvements since the elections, the US would probably seek to install it's anti-missile system in allied nations, such as Japan, South Korea and the Philippines. Russia's resurgence as a belligerent political bully, the US's hurt credibility from the last administration, the strain on our armed forces from fighting 2 sustained wars, and aiding in several other smaller wars has really tied our hands though. All we have left is sanctions, embargoes, and hoping our allies and China will step up and do something about it.

Oh, and North Korea would be beyond stupid if they attacked China. China is about the only ally they have.
"Never gonna give you up. Never gonna let you down. Never gonna run around and hurt you." - Elvis Presley

Offline Cow

• Track and Field Jock
  • Rad.
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: May 28, 2009, 08:15:07 am »
Kind of. I'm beginning to get the impression that China doesn't like them too well anymore, either.

Offline martyk

• Simon Belmont
  • Never underestimate the power of dolphin!
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: May 28, 2009, 08:19:23 am »
I don't think there will be a World War 3 unless Someone joins up with North Korea. If they stand alone then they will get wiped out pretty quickly, and I assume they know this so I doubt they would be to aggressive without a strong alliance.

The thing is, who would stand with them?  In the event of a world war, you'd have the US, Canada, all of Europe, maybe Austraillia, Japan, and probably some others bearing down on them. 
Quote from: Doctor Zay
Martyk is a handsome fish.
Quote from: Brandonazz
This dolphin is delicious.
<Sgore> Martyk, mentally I always picture you as like, our forums bartender.
<Neoadept> I've always pictured you trapped in a tuna net