Author Topic: 2009 North Korean Nuclear Test  (Read 16695 times)

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
Re: 2009 North Korean Nuclear Test
« Reply #30 on: May 25, 2009, 06:32:54 pm »
Look at it from this point, they might get a single city, we could obliterate and make inhabitable practically any country many times over. And that's if their missile didn't fail, or get shot down. Even if it did, we'd probably still obliterate them, and not fail at it because our technology is more advanced.

People like you are why these countries are paranoid about America having nuclear weapons at all.  :P
Sam is basically right, he's just cranky.

Offline Raz

• Questron Serf
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 25, 2009, 06:49:33 pm »
I don't agree with the philosophy, but it's true. I also doubt they want to target South Koreans. North Korea's nukes are possibly not even Hiroshima/Nagasaki-scale in their ability to devastate. Reports also said Iraq had WMDs, funny how they didn't.

Offline Legodragonxp

• Excitebike Gearhead
  • Now for some real user power...
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 25, 2009, 07:03:31 pm »
Look at it from this point, they might get a single city, we could obliterate and make inhabitable practically any country many times over. And that's if their missile didn't fail, or get shot down. Even if it did, we'd probably still obliterate them, and not fail at it because our technology is more advanced.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electromagnetic_pulse

No, a single nuke could cripple the electronics of a very large area, it is called EMP. The weapon is detonated in the upper atmosphere and there is little to no radiation and no blast damage. However, every electronic device in a certain radius (depending on weapon yield and altitude). While North Korea seems to lack the ability to hit the US at this point, Japan and China are both in range of a major EMP strike. What happens to the world economies when half the electronic components suddenly become unavailable because all the equipment used to build them is fried? That is just a single damage aspect. The area effected will be basically reduced to the 19th century in the blink of an eye.

Now eventually those areas will recover, but at what rate? Look at New Orleans.That was a hurricane, and the damages were localized. In an EMP blast the majority of all infrastructure will be off the air.
Hospitals will not have any equipment (when was the last time you saw a non-electric thermometer at a hospital?)
Police will have little to no communications gear, not that they can get anywhere with their cars fried.
No water, most cities use electric pumps.
No phones, fried.
No satellite comminucations (those dishes will focus the emp on the transducer)
How do you communicate with a nation when it is all technology based on microchips?

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oRLON3ddZIw" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oRLON3ddZIw</a>

-Lego
« Last Edit: May 25, 2009, 07:06:21 pm by Legodragonxp »

Offline Doomsday

• Track and Field Jock
  • And, boom goes the dynamite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 25, 2009, 08:11:47 pm »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=frAEmhqdLFs" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=frAEmhqdLFs</a>

This song is more apt to this conversation I think, well.. just as apt.
"Never gonna give you up. Never gonna let you down. Never gonna run around and hurt you." - Elvis Presley

Offline Inkling

• S.T.U.N. Runner
  • Not a Squid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 25, 2009, 08:37:45 pm »
I like this guy.
Probably not a Goat, either.

Offline eropS

• Out Run Speedster
  • That's right, I went there
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 25, 2009, 08:43:30 pm »
I like you.
No, no, he did. In the everything else section, at least. Officially, this makes him king.

Offline Bona Fide Supraman

• Star Raider
  • Not Super, Supra
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 26, 2009, 05:54:59 am »
It's interesting to see that China are against it. That should help...

Though tbh, if they do get Nukes, do you seriously think they'd be stupid enough to use them? They'd be completely raped within about 2 minutes.
Statistically, 6 out of 7 dwarves are not happy.

Offline Inkling

• S.T.U.N. Runner
  • Not a Squid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 26, 2009, 06:00:12 am »
I would hope not, but then again they think it's a good idea to develop them when every single other country tells them not to.  I'm more worried about these countries not having the proper security for nuclear weapons than launching the nukes themselves.

In other news, North Korea conducted two more missile tests.

http://www.cnn.com/2009/WORLD/asiapcf/05/26/nkorea.test/index.html
Probably not a Goat, either.

Offline Cow

• Track and Field Jock
  • Rad.
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 26, 2009, 07:40:58 am »
I find it interesting that when everybody else says "Don't build those nukes, you guys.", the North Korean government hears, "We'll nuke ya if you don't! Woogie boogie!"

Offline madis

• Rigel Rescuer
  • The cousin of Tiberium.
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 26, 2009, 01:18:44 pm »
Lego, stop giving them ideas!

But still, if you dont have nukes, then you can be invaded without fear of mutually assured destruction.

Click on the picture.
Tick, tick, tick the time goes by,
tick, tick, tick the clock blows up.

Offline Legodragonxp

• Excitebike Gearhead
  • Now for some real user power...
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 26, 2009, 03:54:13 pm »
Lego, stop giving them ideas!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dark_Angel_(TV_series)

...On June 1, 2009, months after Max's escape, terrorists detonate an electromagnetic pulse weapon in the atmosphere over the U.S., which destroys the vast majority of computer and communication systems, throwing the country into utter chaos.

queue the spooky music Mr. Cameron.

-Lego

Offline Andrew Ryan

• Simon Belmont
  • A man has a choice, I chose the impossible!
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 26, 2009, 04:12:33 pm »
Well, we still got five days left...
"Don't worry 'bout me. I wouldn't worry about me. Don't you worry about me. Don't you worry 'bout me!" - Talking Heads, Don't Worry About the Government

Offline Cow

• Track and Field Jock
  • Rad.
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 27, 2009, 11:58:47 am »
Quick, everyone build lead boxes and Faraday cages around your electronics!

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #43 on: May 27, 2009, 12:22:33 pm »
There's a fascinating discussion on C-SPAN right now about the Six-Party Talks and the recent nuclear test.

Offline Andrew Ryan

• Simon Belmont
  • A man has a choice, I chose the impossible!
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 27, 2009, 03:07:53 pm »
Did any of you here about the new threats North Korea is issuing about it's sanctions? Apparently if South Korea checks just one North Korean ship, it's going to be World War III.
"Don't worry 'bout me. I wouldn't worry about me. Don't you worry about me. Don't you worry 'bout me!" - Talking Heads, Don't Worry About the Government