Author Topic: 2009 North Korean Nuclear Test  (Read 16701 times)

Offline Andrew Ryan

• Simon Belmont
  • A man has a choice, I chose the impossible!
    • View Profile
Re: 2009 North Korean Nuclear Test
« Reply #15 on: May 25, 2009, 02:14:50 pm »
I can't understand where they got the funds for nukes(they can't be cheap) when they can't even complete a large concrete structure like the Ryugyong Hotel. Dictators must have some sort of weird magic treasure chests somewhere... :-\

Three words: Drugs and Terrorism.
"Don't worry 'bout me. I wouldn't worry about me. Don't you worry about me. Don't you worry 'bout me!" - Talking Heads, Don't Worry About the Government

Offline UFO King

• Dirk the Daring
  • Quotes sigged: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 25, 2009, 02:36:24 pm »
Actually, the Ayatollah of Iran stated that nuclear weapons are a violation of the Koran. So no, I don't think Iran is pursuing nukes.
I came, I saw, I went back to bed.

Offline Legodragonxp

• Excitebike Gearhead
  • Now for some real user power...
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 25, 2009, 02:45:37 pm »
Actually, the Ayatollah of Iran stated that nuclear weapons are a violation of the Koran. So no, I don't think Iran is pursuing nukes.

Yeah Iranian Ayatollahs are pinnacles of peace and understanding. ::)

Of course... the timing of this to land on the US Memorial Day is also a test against the new US Administration.

-Lego
« Last Edit: May 25, 2009, 03:02:33 pm by Legodragonxp »

Offline Cow

• Track and Field Jock
  • Rad.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 25, 2009, 03:07:45 pm »

Of course... the timing of this to land on the US Memorial Day is also a test against the new US Administration.

-Lego

Plus, they can't pretend to care about what's in the Koran.

Offline Doomsday

• Track and Field Jock
  • And, boom goes the dynamite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 25, 2009, 03:38:37 pm »

-Lego

The Ayatollah may have the true power and support in Iran, but President Crazy-Pants Ahmadinejad isn't helping issues much. Sure the Ayatollah can say that they aren't pursuing weapons, but that doesn't mean they aren't and hell... the threat of developing nuclear weapons is enough to get negotations and face time with major world leaders. Only crazy despots openly admits to pursuing nuclear weapons. Iran may or may not be developing weapons, but they aren't going to openly admit it in a way that's gonna cause a bigger stir (and more focus on them) then needed. Hell, Iranians don't really have anything against the west really (save for the whack job President and his far "right-wing" supporters), and if it weren't for Bush calling them a member of the Axis of Evil and you know surrounding them with two highly unstable wars in a gross abuse of our status and power (well and that whole Iran-Contra mess before that), then I'd imagine that we'd be able to be fairly civil towards each other. Maybe even allies. Iran would be a hell of a better ally than Saudi Arabia... we're just friends with them because they're rich, other than that that country is a mess. Iran is, at least for the most part, stable.

Edit:

nukes are basicly just radioactive penises anyway...they just compare the size and who got the biggest one gets to say what happens

they dont actualy want to fire the things id imagine

Only half true. No one wants to use them but they want the option to use them if they have to. Other than that size and power don't matter all that much. I mean Russia had a Nuke that could decimate anything with in almost 5km of the blast, that's not including the fallout and other affects. Then there are the non-nuclear powerhouse bombs, like the FOAB (Father of all Bombs, a "Vacuum" Bomb) which is at least 2 times stronger than the MOAB (Mother of all Bombs, a conventional warhead) but may be as much as 4 times more powerful. Either way, they're not something people want to use but they want the option to use it. It's a giant bargaining chip, usually.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2009, 03:56:23 pm by Doomsday »
"Never gonna give you up. Never gonna let you down. Never gonna run around and hurt you." - Elvis Presley

Offline Inkling

• S.T.U.N. Runner
  • Not a Squid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 25, 2009, 03:39:27 pm »
Hey, Huckbuck.

BOO!
Probably not a Goat, either.

Offline Doomsday

• Track and Field Jock
  • And, boom goes the dynamite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 25, 2009, 04:01:40 pm »
Opps.. I wanted to post this in my previous post but forgot.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FfoQsZa8F1c" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FfoQsZa8F1c</a>
- 50 megaton Tsar Bomb

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c7UPU8nP_p0" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c7UPU8nP_p0</a>
- FOAB "Vacuum" Bomb test
"Never gonna give you up. Never gonna let you down. Never gonna run around and hurt you." - Elvis Presley

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #22 on: May 25, 2009, 05:11:55 pm »
As long as China, Russia, and the United Stares are of the (relatively) same opinion, I feel a bit more comfortable.

Offline eropS

• Out Run Speedster
  • That's right, I went there
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 25, 2009, 05:21:35 pm »
its Qur'an...not Koran.... Qur'an...
No, no, he did. In the everything else section, at least. Officially, this makes him king.

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #24 on: May 25, 2009, 05:24:10 pm »
its Qur'an...not Koran.... Qur'an...

:(

Both are acceptable. You may now die.

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 25, 2009, 05:49:47 pm »
You know, a lot of this so called tension is caused by people lacking empathy and failing to acknowledge that people are basically people regardless of where they live.

Several posters have mentioned that they don't feel comfortable with nukes in the hands of countries without 'sane leaders', obviously referring to the various dictatorships. But consider that the leadership of those countries probably consider the leadership of western countries to be insane or worse.

I think what we all hope is that the leaders of the western countries in which we live are basically of the opinion that using their nukes would be a horrific act that they should never have to stoop to, but equally seem sure that their enemies (Russians, Chinese, Iranians, Koreans, whatever) will use them at much less provocation.
All I'm saying is what if the leaders of these 'bad' countries have the same thought process.
"We peaceful North Koreans would never use a nuclear bomb without the gravest provocation, but those power mad Americans would probably fire their missiles at the drop of a hat, we'd better get some nukes just to warn them off"
Sam is basically right, he's just cranky.

Offline Raz

• Questron Serf
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 25, 2009, 05:55:00 pm »
Look at it from this point, they might get a single city, we could obliterate and make inhabitable practically any country many times over. And that's if their missile didn't fail, or get shot down. Even if it did, we'd probably still obliterate them, and not fail at it because our technology is more advanced.

Offline Cow

• Track and Field Jock
  • Rad.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 25, 2009, 06:17:57 pm »
We might even have enough nukes to make South Korea an island. It would be a great stimulus for the map making industry. /sarcasm

Offline Raz

• Questron Serf
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 25, 2009, 06:21:18 pm »
I'm speaking based on statistical terms, that however many they could kill, we could still kill far more of them...

Offline Little

• Crystal Castle Gem Eater
  • I'm a drunk...
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 25, 2009, 06:31:40 pm »
Actually, you're wrong on that point. Reports show North Korea has up to ten nukes, and with South Korea so close...

They could get 40,000,000 South Koreans, and we could only kill 23,000,000 of them.
The best person ever.  She should have won the Peace Prize.

What? No full control over children? You do realize that some of us have particular plans for those children.