Poll

Hurp

Durp
Derp

Author Topic: Minecraft  (Read 681579 times)

Offline Gauphastus

• Ice Climber
  • Hey, man.
    • View Profile
    • Gauphastumblr
Re: Minecraft
« Reply #6510 on: March 16, 2012, 02:13:58 am »
http://i.imgur.com/uD97w.jpg

I can't even get in, player wipe or not. I was just on earlier but now it's decided it's not going to work at all.
So it looks like we'll have to just bin the bitch and start over.
I'm not going to host yet though. First I want you guys to let me know if you're even still interested.

I'm sorry it turned out this way and that I neglected to make any backups.
Unfortunately, I cannot guarantee that this won't happen again. In fact I believe this has happened twice in the past already due to power outages, though I at least had backups.

So yeah, let me know if you want to have another go.
I suppose you could think of this as yet another chance to approach your builds differently if you like.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2012, 04:37:29 pm by Gauphastus »
"Ma all the gods of furious strong be with you as you crunch opposents, and live like a windrammer as you f**k."
       ~Ricky Wangstrom

Offline GroxGlitch

• Gyruss Gyrusian
  • Somehow, I've even less of a clue what's going on.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6511 on: March 16, 2012, 06:20:02 am »
I'm still in, though I haven't been on in about a week, thanks to real life and Team Fortress 2. I myself want to do a more city-like thing. Another Faffington, if you will.

Offline Met

• Ensign Seventh Class
  • Well... whatever.
    • View Profile
    • Wiki Userpage
« Reply #6512 on: March 16, 2012, 07:12:57 am »
I prefer if we had a Survival world.... but then again, I'm not on as much as you guys to really have all that much say.

Offline Oviraptor

• R-Type Force Pod
  • tastes just like chicken
    • View Profile
    • Oviraptor's World
« Reply #6513 on: March 16, 2012, 09:24:52 am »
 :'(

I didn't even get a picture of the city before I left last night. Oh well, such is life. But yes, NEED MORE MINECRAFT.

Offline LadyM

• Mortal Kombat Konqueror
  • I'm not confused anymore
    • View Profile
    • LadyMpire
« Reply #6514 on: March 16, 2012, 09:44:29 am »
Gaugh, your picture has a word not allowed on the forum ;)

also, maps can sometimes be fixed using the MC Edit program. Just open the map in it and save the file without doing anything. I did that before and saved Faffington.

Also, I can work on setting up a survival server today.

Offline Oviraptor

• R-Type Force Pod
    • View Profile
    • Oviraptor's World
« Reply #6515 on: March 16, 2012, 10:09:57 am »
I had an idea for a server. It would be a more ruled server. Basically, using a server wrapper, we'd make it so that people can have their own designated build areas, which I will call "cities." Players can set their "rules" for their own town, and by that I mean their town can either be survival or creative; or it could be that other people can join them in the work on their town. Basically, one would only be able to build in whichever town one was a member of (people can switch towns if wanted, so you aren't locked in). There would also be a "town" with no designated "mayor" that would be a free-for-all with no rules (i.e. build here at your own risk!). So, yeah. I'm not sure anyone would be interested in such a server, but if you WERE, what size towns would you want to see? I've played with lot's of size ranges in my head (anything from a 1 km by 1 km square all the way up to 16 km by 16 km square :o), but your input would help narrow that down a bit.

Just throwing that out there. Thoughts?

Offline Cyst

• Space Harrier
  • V 3 $ T H 3 T I C /// 新鮮な盗まれたアート
    • View Profile
« Reply #6516 on: March 16, 2012, 10:16:08 am »
I think 10 km by 10 km sounds good. Perhaps a more circular one with a 5 km radius. And various towns with different sizes would be cool too.
DEATH TO DAESH! In solidarity with Rojava!
-----------
Oh come now, Lurk.

The internet is a magical place, where linguistic and dialectic possibilities are endless. Why not embrace those variations and see where they lead you.

Offline Oviraptor

• R-Type Force Pod
    • View Profile
    • Oviraptor's World
« Reply #6517 on: March 16, 2012, 10:21:04 am »
I think 10 km by 10 km sounds good. Perhaps a more circular one with a 5 km radius. And various towns with different sizes would be cool too.

Well, they would have to be square. Besides the fact that circles don't fit into one another, the server wrapper can't do that sort of thing. I think I'd prefer it if every stayed the same size, though. It would make everything a LOT simpler.

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #6518 on: March 16, 2012, 01:11:21 pm »
I would like to have survival powers, as I just want to build. Can we have both types of players on the same server?

Offline sgore

• SunDog Pilot
  • Actually, Jeopardy is my second favorite game show
    • View Profile
« Reply #6519 on: March 16, 2012, 01:33:51 pm »
If LadyM's method works on recovering the map, and there were some way to convert it over, I think it might be fun playing survival within the structures we already have built.

My idea may be preposterously silly though, so feel free to ignore it.
What meme is relevant right now? Look, just imagine I'm riffing on that. Updating signatures is exhausting.

Sam:The Ploofy Master

Offline LadyM

• Mortal Kombat Konqueror
  • I'm not confused anymore
    • View Profile
    • LadyMpire
« Reply #6520 on: March 16, 2012, 02:09:16 pm »
Actually I had the same idea last night and yes, it's possible however mobs might ruin the beautiful things everyone built.

Offline Met

• Ensign Seventh Class
  • Well... whatever.
    • View Profile
    • Wiki Userpage
« Reply #6521 on: March 16, 2012, 04:23:39 pm »
I think beautiful things can be built in a pure survival world. It might be more difficult, but it's all the more impressive.

Offline FROMAN

• Journey Groupie
  • =ω=
    • View Profile
« Reply #6522 on: March 16, 2012, 04:38:25 pm »
Ive had the exact problem with minecraft servers before (power outage and all) and the problem is most likely that the maps spawnpoint was set down to bedrock. Like ladyM said you could fix it in MCEdit just by moving the spawnpoint back to the surface.

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #6523 on: March 16, 2012, 05:11:01 pm »
I think beautiful things can be built in a pure survival world. It might be more difficult, but it's all the more impressive.

That doesn't matter. If you do it without creative mode on, good for you. Maybe your building is intrinsically better because of it. But you won't be impacted whatsoever if I build my things with creative mode.

Offline Gauphastus

• Ice Climber
  • Hey, man.
    • View Profile
    • Gauphastumblr
« Reply #6524 on: March 16, 2012, 05:27:12 pm »
Trying some things. For now I've got a bukkit server up on the "island" seed santa found before. I've also got the worldborder plugin, set to 1000 block radius around the coordinates near 0,0.
EDIT: My server will remain creative for now. This may change after some decent mods come out with the new modding API, but that won't be for awhile.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2012, 05:35:42 pm by Gauphastus »
"Ma all the gods of furious strong be with you as you crunch opposents, and live like a windrammer as you f**k."
       ~Ricky Wangstrom