Poll

Hurp

Durp
Derp

Author Topic: Minecraft  (Read 680835 times)

Offline Kitkat

• Ultima III Time Lord
  • Beep Boop.
    • View Profile
Re: Minecraft
« Reply #6000 on: September 04, 2011, 01:17:24 pm »
Maybe we can get Gauphastus back into the hosting thing once the Creative mode for Beta comes out. It's more fun with multiple people...
Goddamnit kitkat, you make me look late
Come check out The Bino and The Ni'Calls
(Or don't these are old and embarrasing)

Offline Gauphastus

• Ice Climber
  • Hey, man.
    • View Profile
    • Gauphastumblr
« Reply #6001 on: September 04, 2011, 03:01:52 pm »
That's the plan, yes.

EDIT: For hosting in general I mean, not just for creative mode.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2011, 06:00:02 pm by Gauphastus »
"Ma all the gods of furious strong be with you as you crunch opposents, and live like a windrammer as you f**k."
       ~Ricky Wangstrom

Offline Pixxel

• Robotron Automaton
    • View Profile
« Reply #6002 on: September 04, 2011, 11:55:57 pm »
Creative isn't that fun though.
Removes the feeling of accomplishment when you can just spawn everything. :C
If you stop and think about it, Your life's longer as an old guy than a kid. Scary o.o

Offline Luminar

• Gyromite Gyro
  • i'm losin' it
    • View Profile
« Reply #6003 on: September 05, 2011, 02:47:46 am »
The effort involved in harvesting all the sandstone necessary to build the pyramid is not something I would describe as an accomplishment in any sense of the word, considering it's a game and therefore inherently an unproductive use of time.

Offline Person21

• Crystal Castle Gem Eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #6004 on: September 05, 2011, 02:51:32 am »
Pfft. Casual.

But seriously, I agree with Pixxel here. It's one thing to build a crappy tower, but it's another to stand at the top and look out at the landscape you destroyed to make it.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2011, 04:14:42 am by Person21 »
Person21 - As enjoyed by Veraal.
A wise Surface to Air Missile once said about marrying 9 year olds in Saudi Arabia "Its pretty hard to tell if a 9 year old is going to be hot when she grows up, kids change a lot, usually, seems like a bad system. That cute little nine year old you married could end being a fat, zitty teenager."

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #6005 on: September 05, 2011, 12:58:03 pm »
If you want to spawn items, ask to be given spawn powers. As long as you're not a jerk, there's no reason you won't be allowed to spawn items.

If you don't, don't.

Some of us want to build virtual buildings and not spend hours upon hours digging up virtual lumps of coal.

Some of us want to take the time to gather our resources and glean the sense of accomplishment from making something out of nothing.

My own thoughts are that I've played Minecraft for a long time. I've already had my fun digging mines and gathering untold amounts of stone and iron and whatever. Now I just want to build. So let me get what I want and build what I want now while I have the time, because I've got to meet someone for dinner in two hours and I'm scheduled at work for the next five days.

Offline Cobra

• All Your Base Zero Wing
  • People want ducks.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6006 on: September 05, 2011, 07:31:02 pm »
Some of us have real lives taking over we barely get enough time to come online to even build.

Offline Inkling

• S.T.U.N. Runner
  • Not a Squid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6007 on: September 05, 2011, 08:43:33 pm »
Some of us have no life at all but have forgotten where the server is.
Probably not a Goat, either.

Offline Cobra

• All Your Base Zero Wing
  • People want ducks.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6008 on: September 05, 2011, 08:55:23 pm »
Yeah I too keep losing the server.

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #6009 on: September 05, 2011, 10:05:00 pm »
76.179.72.221:25565

LadyM keeps it in her signature, too.

Offline Pixxel

• Robotron Automaton
    • View Profile
« Reply #6010 on: September 06, 2011, 04:35:40 am »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYoO9XkCCHg" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYoO9XkCCHg</a>
1.8 trailer
If you stop and think about it, Your life's longer as an old guy than a kid. Scary o.o

Offline Flisch

• H.E.R.O. Rescue Worker
  • Banned - 17/07/15
    • View Profile
« Reply #6011 on: September 06, 2011, 05:39:39 am »
I don't get it at all. If you don't want to search for your own resources rather than spawning (which would lead to trading with other players) and if you deliberately build your tower far outside in the desert and be miffed that someone else is building a city or a pyramid next to your tower, why bother playing multiplayer at all? There are mods for singleplayer which lets you spawn stuff on your own and you can share your stuff by taking a screen capture. I don't get the notion that people come to a multiplayer server, shy away from any ingame human interaction other than scolding them for doing whatever and then on top of that expecting the people on the server to change their rules and behaviour to cater to you...

In the end all you do is playing single player creative mode on a survival multiplayer map.

[/rant]
There is, of course, a difference between having a laugh with someone, and having a laugh at their expense

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #6012 on: September 06, 2011, 09:15:20 am »
Because we still like to collaborate with other people and play with the community. Not everyone, though. Just the responsible ones.

As for the pyramid incident, get your facts straight. My problem wasn't that the pyramid was built. My problem was that the entire desert my base was in (including a large part of my base) was dug up to build that pyramid. I love collaborating with people and building neat things, but unfortunately more than a few of the other players on the server show no respect whatsoever for other people's creations. That's why I built further away. You'll have to excuse my excessive annoyance over this issue. My stuff gets messed with a lot. Of course I don't want to build near a lot of you guys because you've consistently ruined most of my projects by making silly decisions.

If you're in a city like Faffington, it is understood that you'll be in very close proximity to people. Now, if I build a structure far out in an empty part of the map and it's the only thing there, you have to take some other things into account. First and foremost, you've got to ask the person what they've built and what their intention is. (though you should ALWAYS be doing this anyway!!) If they built something way out, they probably had an idea in mind. Second, consider the aesthetic, both inside and outside. If you build a structure on a hillside overlooking a large body of water or some sort of valley, maybe you shouldn't plop a giant wooden box in the middle of that body of water or valley.

Just talk with people first before you build things when other stuff is nearby. This long into playing Minecraft, we shouldn't need to continue to go over this. It's about courtesy. The reason I go far away from a large part of the community is because a large part of the community has no sense of courtesy or respect for what other people build.

And that IS a problem. Item spawning is just a minor conflict in philosophy that in the end, doesn't impact you if you don't want it to. If you take the time to mine all your resources, good on you. You've done it the proper way, I guess. And your building is a bigger accomplishment than mine.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2011, 09:17:42 am by Fatty Chunk of Ham33 »

Offline MetallicDragon

• Apprentice Enchanter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6013 on: September 06, 2011, 09:30:43 am »
While we're on the topic...

LadyM, I'm sure you saw the castle my friend and I built over your lakeside room/outpost. Sorry if you were intending to build something else there. I had the impression that it was just an abandoned outpost and didn't think to ask you for permission to build there. Next time I'll be sure to ask first. We'd be happy to have your input on the castle's design too, if you'd like.

Offline Gauphastus

• Ice Climber
  • Hey, man.
    • View Profile
    • Gauphastumblr
« Reply #6014 on: September 06, 2011, 11:32:07 am »
With my server, I had planned on switching back and forth depending on people's plans. I don't mind going creative for big builds and then back to survival so we can play in and enjoy those same builds. That seems reasonable. To be honest, this merger of modes is something I expected would come a lot earlier in Minecraft's development.
I'm just wondering if we're even able to switch between the two modes. It'd probably require a restart so it's not something we'd do too willy-nilly.

Man, do I wanna build out on the water so bad. So much space.
"Ma all the gods of furious strong be with you as you crunch opposents, and live like a windrammer as you f**k."
       ~Ricky Wangstrom