Poll

Hurp

Durp
Derp

Author Topic: Minecraft  (Read 680959 times)

Offline Luminar

• Gyromite Gyro
  • i'm losin' it
    • View Profile
Re: Minecraft
« Reply #5700 on: July 23, 2011, 01:42:03 pm »
I don't see why they wouldn't. Java is just about universal, right?

Offline Kitkat

• Ultima III Time Lord
  • Beep Boop.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5701 on: July 23, 2011, 01:56:29 pm »
I followed the steps precisely for modloader, and got nothing but a black screen. I did manage to install pistons at one point.

Could I maybe get some help here? The people over at the Minecraft Forum are no help at all :l
Goddamnit kitkat, you make me look late
Come check out The Bino and The Ni'Calls
(Or don't these are old and embarrasing)

Offline Luminar

• Gyromite Gyro
  • i'm losin' it
    • View Profile
« Reply #5702 on: July 23, 2011, 05:33:34 pm »
Alright.

What you want to do first is clean reinstall so there's no leftovers to trip you up. Go to your .minecraft folder (mine on win 7 is found at (drive):\Users\(username)\AppData\Roaming\.minecraft), back up anything you want to keep and then delete everything in the folder so there's nothing there at all. Launch minecraft and it'll redownload a completley fresh install. Even if you don't think you have anything installed, do this anyway - no telling what might trip you up.
Doing this will reset your ingame options to default, remove any texture packs you have, and delete any worlds you have. So again, back stuff up before you do this. You'll keep your character skin though.

Now from here follow the instructions detailed in the mod's installation instructions - usually what they'll have you do is open (drive):\Users\(username)\AppData\Roaming\.minecraft\bin\minecraft.jar with an archive program (winzip, winrar, etc) and copy the contents of the mod into the relevant directories, overwriting anything if necessary. (This is why you should keep a fresh minecraft.jar backed up, but they're easy enough to get anyway.) Some mods also need you to place files into the minecraft folders rather than in the .jar file - it depends entirely on the mod.

That's all I can really say without further input at this point. What exactly happened when you tried to run the game? Did it get to the menu only to stop working on attempting to play? Did it get to the menu at all?

Offline Kitkat

• Ultima III Time Lord
  • Beep Boop.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5703 on: July 23, 2011, 05:57:19 pm »
It went to a black screen after pressing log in. Also, With the META-INF, do I delete certain files and leave the folder, or just delete the whole folder?

EDIT: Thanks for the help, but it still didn't help...
« Last Edit: July 23, 2011, 06:01:45 pm by Kitkat »

Offline Luminar

• Gyromite Gyro
  • i'm losin' it
    • View Profile
« Reply #5704 on: July 23, 2011, 06:11:41 pm »
Oh yeah totally forgot about meta-inf. Wipe the whole folder out.
Alright, what mods are you installing? Many, or just one? Also, compare the version of the mod you have to your minecraft install. The versions have to match, otherwise they'll very likely not work. For reference I believe the most up to date is 1.7.3.

So you're not getting the mojang logo or the ingame menu, right? Is there by any chance a quick flash of a blue and white screen before it cuts to black, or does it just not go anywhere?

Offline Kitkat

• Ultima III Time Lord
  • Beep Boop.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5705 on: July 23, 2011, 06:26:19 pm »
It goes nowhere, just black. Anyway, I'm just trying modloader at the moment, and it is the 1.7.3 version. I deleted the whole META-INF, but it didn't do diddly squat.

Offline Legodragonxp

• Excitebike Gearhead
  • Now for some real user power...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5706 on: July 23, 2011, 09:29:48 pm »
Mods are fickle things, especially if you are trying to get different ones to work together. I had the interesting experience of watching my 8yr old dig through the modding boards so that he could mod his minecraft.jar and I saw some very basic hiccups while he was doing it. However, each mod seems to have minor variations with its setup needs, so if you could point to the mod/mods that you are trying to install it might be a simple misunderstandings of the instructions.

So, which mod are you trying to use?

-Lego

Offline Kitkat

• Ultima III Time Lord
  • Beep Boop.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5707 on: July 23, 2011, 10:26:53 pm »
I'm just trying modloader at the moment, and it is the 1.7.3 version.
And I did exactly as the instructions said. Just drag and drop all of the class files into the minecraft.jar and delete the META-INF and have a merry dandy time.

Offline Legodragonxp

• Excitebike Gearhead
  • Now for some real user power...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5708 on: July 24, 2011, 10:41:48 am »
When dragging the files in to the minecraft.jar file, my son kept accidentally dragging them in to a subfolder within the minecraft.jar. To get around that I made him scroll to the bottom of the list and drag then down there.

A second thing he was doing was actually doing a seperate file-save in Winrar on the .minecraft.jar after dragging in the files in and deleting the entire Meta-INF folder. You should just close Winrar.

The third thing we did was pull everything out of the folders in .minecraft folder named mods to start over. No, my son just reminded me we nuked the entire .minecarft folder and started fresh.

-Lego

Offline ilikesanta

• Karateka Krazy
  • '06 Time Magizine Person of the Year
    • View Profile
« Reply #5709 on: July 24, 2011, 12:09:46 pm »
Holy  Crap!  This is crazy.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QhksNvUwaRc" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QhksNvUwaRc</a>
I need a new tag.
My Spore Creatures

Offline eropS

• Out Run Speedster
  • That's right, I went there
    • View Profile
« Reply #5710 on: July 24, 2011, 12:24:52 pm »
Wow.
No, no, he did. In the everything else section, at least. Officially, this makes him king.

Offline Gauphastus

• Ice Climber
  • Hey, man.
    • View Profile
    • Gauphastumblr
« Reply #5711 on: July 24, 2011, 12:33:17 pm »
Those caverns..
We must have them in Minecraft's worldgen. I command it.

And yes, this is some truly epic construction. I'm not even misusing that word.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2011, 12:34:55 pm by Gauphastus »
"Ma all the gods of furious strong be with you as you crunch opposents, and live like a windrammer as you f**k."
       ~Ricky Wangstrom

Offline Luminar

• Gyromite Gyro
  • i'm losin' it
    • View Profile
« Reply #5712 on: July 24, 2011, 02:56:23 pm »
To be fair Lord of the Rings in general is a literal epic. You can't misuse the word by using it correctly. =P
I tried out the Yogbox... it seems okay, but causes the game to lag like crazy. I can't seem to get optimine to work alongside it either, so.. back to the drawing board I guess.

Also i'm not touching the Aether with a fifty foot nerdpole. Apparently they're embroiled in the whole MC community drama to such an extent that not only have they forbade the Yogbox creators to even discuss including it in the yogbox, but they've also forbade them to review it, which they promptly ignored altogether. Now they're talking about putting a file into the mod which checks usernames against a blacklist and forbids you from playing the mod if you're on it, in order to prevent the yogscast from touching it. What.

EDIT: Oh yeah I forgot, the salt of it is that they want yogscast to publicly renounce their disapproval of adfly or they'll blacklist them. I am beginning to draw parallels between large corporations and this modding community at this point. That isn't a terribly good thing.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2011, 03:02:30 pm by Luminar »

Offline Hammerman58

• Q*Bert Qrazy
  • Thor carrier of the mightiest hammer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5713 on: July 24, 2011, 05:56:15 pm »
The yogscast has a tendency to overreact. A while ago they black listed some modders over an adfly disagreement. As long a modders do not sell there mods they should be allowed to distribute it how they see fit. It was also wrong of the yogscast to use their influence to get a poll posted on the MC forums while criticizing adfly and then telling followers to vote. The yogscast is bullying modders.

Also, a link never hurt.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2011, 06:02:54 pm by Hammerman58 »
STOP HAMMERTIME 
PSN Names YaY I got a thread stickied.

Offline Uroboros

• Duck Hunter
  • Am I awake?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5714 on: July 24, 2011, 06:43:04 pm »
Wait, so, minecraft forum-users can't post their own polls?
How is criticising adfly a bad thing, if adfly doesn't screen their adverts for malware stuff?
And how is it really an abuse of power for a 'cast to ask their viewers/listeners to take part in a poll, unless they were literally ordering people to vote something specific (in which case, people aren't forced to obey, and people just following orders would just latch on to the next largest say-so group).