Poll

Hurp

Durp
Derp

Author Topic: Minecraft  (Read 680118 times)

Offline Lippy

• Galaga General
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
Re: Minecraft
« Reply #5625 on: June 28, 2011, 07:09:37 am »
Sorry.  I was talking about something that wasn't bold.
Quote from: Notch
Since 1.8 is still a significant time away, we’re going to have to stop being as secretive about it as we have. We’ll provide information about it as we go, but we’ll keep actual details secret. So, for example, we could say “added two new colors” without saying which ones, or “testing experience and leveling to see if it’s fun” without giving details on exactly how it works.

Offline Haseri

• Lode Runner
    • View Profile
« Reply #5626 on: June 28, 2011, 07:11:35 am »
Bear in mind, those are examples, not what he is working on.

Personally, I'd like to keep the sandbox where everything comes down to the player's skill, not the character's.

Offline Didero

• Turkey Shoot Terminator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5627 on: June 28, 2011, 07:14:12 am »
I'm a bit disappointed Thursday's update won't include the new lighting engine. But then again, pistons! Those should be fun.

Offline Lippy

• Galaga General
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5628 on: June 28, 2011, 07:25:56 am »
Bear in mind, those are examples, not what he is working on.
They are examples of what he is working on, without giving details.  I'm pretty sure that xp/leveling are part of the "experimental gameplay ideas."

Offline Flisch

• H.E.R.O. Rescue Worker
  • Banned - 17/07/15
    • View Profile
« Reply #5629 on: June 28, 2011, 07:45:48 am »
I don't think Leveling is a great idea. There already are resources you have to manage and amass. Leveling would be just another resource except it doesn't play into anything that already exists in minecraft.

I mean, in a sense, there already is a leveling up system in minecraft: The different types of swords and armor, though you quickly get a diamond sword, so it might needed to be stretched a bit.
There is, of course, a difference between having a laugh with someone, and having a laugh at their expense

Offline Gauphastus

• Ice Climber
  • Hey, man.
    • View Profile
    • Gauphastumblr
« Reply #5630 on: June 28, 2011, 08:03:46 am »
I think he'd need a system like that for one or more of those alternate game modes he mentioned a long while back. His "dungeon mode" thing was supposed to play like a roguelike apparently.
Guess it's good that he's experimenting 'cause that's what got us infinite-sized maps. And a ton of people were opposed to that when he was wondering if he should do it, I'll have you know.
"Ma all the gods of furious strong be with you as you crunch opposents, and live like a windrammer as you f**k."
       ~Ricky Wangstrom

Offline ilikesanta

• Karateka Krazy
  • '06 Time Magizine Person of the Year
    • View Profile
« Reply #5631 on: June 28, 2011, 08:07:19 am »
I haven't played for a couple weeks. Been waiting mostly for 1.7, so I'll jump back in for that. Pistons!
I need a new tag.
My Spore Creatures

Offline Luminar

• Gyromite Gyro
  • i'm losin' it
    • View Profile
« Reply #5632 on: June 28, 2011, 09:17:10 am »
Why grind for abilities when you can do everything you need to do right from the get-go?

Offline Lippy

• Galaga General
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5633 on: June 28, 2011, 01:10:44 pm »
You have to grind for resources.  Let's say you gain abilities by grinding resources to make a magic item that gives you the ability.  Same thing.  There's still the "Is it fun?" caveat. If their experiments don't yield enough fun, they won't keep them in.

Offline Luminar

• Gyromite Gyro
  • i'm losin' it
    • View Profile
« Reply #5634 on: June 28, 2011, 07:46:18 pm »
Ain't really a grind for resources depending on how you go about things and what you need.
Wood pick, super easy to make. Dig out 3 stone, now you have a stone pick. Then go find a big cave - coal is likely to be found, iron somewhat likely, and if you're deep down enough then gold and diamonds can also be found as a rarity.
Diamond tools are by and large a luxury given the rareness of the reagents required, and iron can be plentiful if you know where to look.

Now if it's something like sandstone you need then sure, harvesting for it can get pretty old.

Offline Lippy

• Galaga General
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5635 on: June 29, 2011, 08:27:01 am »
I'm talking about grinding resources to build.  But I can get a full set of Diamond tools and armor in a few hours of playing a new map.  And the material tree of wood->stone->iron->diamond is WAY too short.   For a new player it might take a while, and it might be difficult the first few nights.  But as soon as they learn the game, they realize it's not about combat but about building and exploring.  The bed has removed night from the equation, so you don't even need to worry about that anymore. 

My problem is:
Why grind for abilities when you can do everything you need to do right from the get-go?
If you would grind for abilities, it would be for abilities that would take you beyond what you can do right from the get go.

Offline Flisch

• H.E.R.O. Rescue Worker
  • Banned - 17/07/15
    • View Profile
« Reply #5636 on: June 29, 2011, 08:36:30 am »
The bed has removed night from the equation, so you don't even need to worry about that anymore.
Actually, torches already removed "night", because even before there was a bed, you could still sit in your lit house and wait till the night has passed. The bed merely shortens that time.
There is, of course, a difference between having a laugh with someone, and having a laugh at their expense

Offline Hammerman58

• Q*Bert Qrazy
  • Thor carrier of the mightiest hammer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5637 on: June 29, 2011, 05:24:27 pm »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ndVVrZqHqA8" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ndVVrZqHqA8</a>

This mod looks like good fun anyone try it?
STOP HAMMERTIME 
PSN Names YaY I got a thread stickied.

Offline Pixxel

• Robotron Automaton
    • View Profile
« Reply #5638 on: June 30, 2011, 07:26:19 am »
Patch 1.7 is out...apparently.
If you stop and think about it, Your life's longer as an old guy than a kid. Scary o.o

Offline Didero

• Turkey Shoot Terminator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5639 on: June 30, 2011, 09:16:42 am »
Patch 1.7 is out...apparently.
As is 1.7_01 :P