Poll

Hurp

Durp
Derp

Author Topic: Minecraft  (Read 680205 times)

Offline Pixxel

• Robotron Automaton
    • View Profile
Re: Minecraft
« Reply #4485 on: December 02, 2010, 06:12:24 am »
Celdur, after some thought, the arena needed to be moved. Unless Pixxel is willing to have the harbor moved quite a long ways out of town, which I would personally not prefer, that's where you're going to have to be.

I can build it somewhere else. Just give me a location. :)
If you stop and think about it, Your life's longer as an old guy than a kid. Scary o.o

Offline Celdur

• R-Type Force Pod
  • :33
    • View Profile
« Reply #4486 on: December 02, 2010, 11:41:01 am »
no its ok, we want the new spot now, its much much better for our project

Quote from: Krakow sam
That quote is actualy very witty, Celdur. I suggest you use that in your signature.

Offline Gauphastus

• Ice Climber
  • Hey, man.
    • View Profile
    • Gauphastumblr
« Reply #4487 on: December 02, 2010, 12:42:25 pm »
Oh, yeah. Just to report in, we did a test with monsters enabled last night. It seems to perform really quite well now even with all the monster spawning going on at night.
I'd like to do a more extensive test with more players on at once.

We did notice though that the game pretty well grinds to a halt when only three people are out exploring new land (which kicks in the map generator in three different places at once; it hurts). This has always been the case though and there's not much we can do.
We were sailing on the water anyway, so it might have been going a ton faster than it could handle. When I asked everybody to stop moving so the game could catch up, it caught up and went back to normal performance.

Seems pretty good but then I've had the server have good days and bad days with the monster spawning.
If you guys would like me to leave a map up for the day with monsters enabled, I could do that.
"Ma all the gods of furious strong be with you as you crunch opposents, and live like a windrammer as you f**k."
       ~Ricky Wangstrom

Offline MetallicDragon

• Apprentice Enchanter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4488 on: December 02, 2010, 01:58:27 pm »
Just curious: What kind of processor/RAM is your server running on?

Offline Celdur

• R-Type Force Pod
    • View Profile
« Reply #4489 on: December 02, 2010, 02:46:04 pm »
wow, 300 pages of random minecraft bull****

That quote is actualy very witty, Celdur. I suggest you use that in your signature.

Offline Veraal

• Zelda Zealot
    • View Profile
« Reply #4490 on: December 02, 2010, 03:02:43 pm »
Yeah, total bull****.

I can't stand minecraft ****.

Dingleberries!

Offline Gauphastus

• Ice Climber
  • Hey, man.
    • View Profile
    • Gauphastumblr
« Reply #4491 on: December 02, 2010, 03:20:56 pm »
Just curious: What kind of processor/RAM is your server running on?

Got 4 gigs of DDR3 and a quad core processor (Q9450) at 2.66 GHz on each core.
Not amazing but it does the job.
I was thinking of buying more RAM at least. For a new processor, that would mean a whole new motherboard. And if I was gonna get anything, I'd get an i5 or i7 thing going.
"Ma all the gods of furious strong be with you as you crunch opposents, and live like a windrammer as you f**k."
       ~Ricky Wangstrom

Offline Hammerman58

• Q*Bert Qrazy
  • Thor carrier of the mightiest hammer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4492 on: December 02, 2010, 06:06:38 pm »
There is your problem you need at least a 3.0 quad. Didn't you read the recommended requirements? :-*
STOP HAMMERTIME 
PSN Names YaY I got a thread stickied.

Offline ilikesanta

• Karateka Krazy
  • '06 Time Magizine Person of the Year
    • View Profile
« Reply #4493 on: December 03, 2010, 08:39:19 am »
Quote from: Notch
Bug update #5, and we need videos
Client version 1.2.6
Server version 0.2.8 (not mandatory)

* Added /kill command. Does 1000 points damage to the player
* Did some patching client side to prevent duplicated entities
* The join server page now remembers the port as well as the ip
* Fixed a bug where joining a server on a specific port caused the client to forget all keybindings
* Added lakes and rare lava pools, both on the surface and randomly in caves.
* Fixed a crash bug when destroying the vehicle from under a player
* Players connecting to a server or respawning are invulnerable for three seconds
I need a new tag.
My Spore Creatures

Offline Uroboros

• Duck Hunter
  • Am I awake?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4494 on: December 03, 2010, 10:05:50 am »
Got 4 gigs of DDR3 and a quad core processor (Q9450) at 2.66 GHz on each core.
Not amazing but it does the job.
I was thinking of buying more RAM at least. For a new processor, that would mean a whole new motherboard. And if I was gonna get anything, I'd get an i5 or i7 thing going.
I wouldn't really recommend getting more than 4 gigs of RAM. After a certain point it becomes useless. I mean, there are few commonly used applications, and few games that really make use of all four gigs. 6 or more is only really useful if you're doing something more devoted and heavy duty like big-time video editing/recording/encoding, or renders. Not to say that games won't eventually eat it all easily, i'm just saying it won't be particularly useful in terms of speed increases. More than 4 gigs and the only performance increase would probably be if you re-open a program you used recently, and even then it will only be by a margin of a few seconds, during the main load-times. I recently upgraded to an i5 motherboard, and got a 2.8 quadcore (as my older motherboard+CPU turned out to be the cause of all my frequent crashing problems). I've never had any problems with Minecraft unless I put the view-distance on 'far' and was working against the map generator in new locations.

Oh wait... server? Hell if I know, then. I would have assumed that is more about connection speed than RAM or processor, and even then Minecraft doesn't really soak up a great amount unless you have lots of people dancing around. A server I sometimes go to (quite a distance away from me) recently had horrendous lag, but the latest patch resolved all of that. Something to do with a memory leak or something?

Offline Gauphastus

• Ice Climber
  • Hey, man.
    • View Profile
    • Gauphastumblr
« Reply #4495 on: December 03, 2010, 11:20:22 am »
Eh, I changed my mind about that anyway. I thought about it last night. I went from maybe buying RAM to maybe also buying a new motherboard and CPU.
"It'd only be around a thousands bucks, probably less. That's not so bad."

Then I realized I was being stupid and closed all the pages I was looking at. Pretty much 99% of what I run on this computer runs totally fine.
Let's just forget about all that for now.

Anyway, I've updated the server to the latest version.
       ~Ricky Wangstrom

Offline DarkDragon

• Final Fantasy Fanatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4496 on: December 05, 2010, 07:13:16 am »
Now that monsters are somewhat fixed, I'm definitely getting my server up and running again, if you're looking for a different experience than the vanilla Minecraft, here's what I have installed:

CraftBook
Stargate
RuneCraft

Cuboid Plugin for admins & SaveReload Plugin for the Server itself.

Information on how to use the plugins can be found by clicking on their names, the url for the server is gamingsteve.dyndns.org

I lost my old whitelist and for you to be able to use the plugins I need to make you a VIP, so PM me with your minecraft name if you want to play on the server, in case you forget to PM me, the server will tell you to.
DarkDragon's Minecraft Survival Server (use this as the IP):

gamingsteve.dyndns.org

- The server uses a whitelist, if you're not on the whitelist (can't connect), PM me your minecraft name.

Offline Celdur

• R-Type Force Pod
    • View Profile
« Reply #4497 on: December 05, 2010, 08:39:16 pm »

towers, woo

thats part 1 of the arena mostly done

Offline Flisch

• H.E.R.O. Rescue Worker
  • Banned - 17/07/15
    • View Profile
« Reply #4498 on: December 08, 2010, 04:43:47 pm »
I thought I'd post some pictures of my minecraft world.

There is, of course, a difference between having a laugh with someone, and having a laugh at their expense

Offline Didero

• Turkey Shoot Terminator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4499 on: December 09, 2010, 12:32:05 pm »
Look what Notch posted on his Twitter today:

It's Redstone musical instruments!