Poll

Hurp

Durp
Derp

Author Topic: Minecraft  (Read 679766 times)

Offline Gauphastus

• Ice Climber
  • Hey, man.
    • View Profile
    • Gauphastumblr
Re: Minecraft
« Reply #4410 on: November 24, 2010, 08:48:18 am »
CAUTION: When you spawn into the server, you will likely die to due the fall damage; most people joining in have had this problem. This will happen only one time ever, as far as I know.
Try to remember where you are so you can go back and get your items.

ALSO: If you do manage to die somehow, please log out and log back in. Otherwise you're invisible.

Okay, so AlwaysWatching and I were getting wasted on the server just now (by wasted, I mean killed) by NOTHING.

Waiting for fix. Either monsters are invisible, or we're getting that weird character placement bug where you're half inside the ground getting smothered and taking damage.
No matter where I stood, I died. Hell, AlwaysWatching spawned in the air, fell, and died.

Server is not coming back up until this is worked out. There's nothing I can do, not even a setting in the server profile.
EDIT: NEVERMIND, I FOUND IT.

EDIT: Wow, 560 comments on his blog post there. Let's see.
- Buckets are broken once again
- Players invisible after they die, until they relog (as everyone is reporting)
- Health recovery from food sometimes doesn't work
- A lot harder to avoid placing two blocks at once (for me at least). The game lags the moment a block is placed, which usually carries the right mouse click with it and causes another block to be placed.

-Shadows under some trees and a few single-block (be it dirt or stone or whatever) overhangs are pitch black. Not sure if this is related to the lighting issues you mentioned.

-Monsters and Animals seem to have vast amounts of HP and/or swords aren't doing much damage and/or are losing durability incredibly swiftly. It about took the whole of a stone sword to kill one spider - probably 10-15 hits or more.

Bugs I've seen:
1. Players are often invisible.
2. Mobs have varying health? Sometimes zombies take 10 sword hits to die, sometimes 2.
3. Mobs invisible to some people.
4. Death on login (probably due to the update, it only happened on the first log-in)
5. Spawn location changes
6. Mob damage knockback and animation lags
7. Creepers don't sssSSSsssSSsssS
8. Spiders. What, you said you wanted to know what bugs I saw ;)

Quote from: Notch
I had to disable leaves decaying again (sorry!) because it caused infinite loops in certain situations.

EDIT: Okay, I have a test server up for... testing.
Feel free. Also, don't play on "peaceful". Apparently, you can't see the monsters.

EDIT: Put back up the regular server. Monsters are disabled, as are animals and PvP. You can still drown and take fall damage, but health kinda regenerates for some reason.
Enjoy.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2010, 11:05:47 am by Gauphastus »
"Ma all the gods of furious strong be with you as you crunch opposents, and live like a windrammer as you f**k."
       ~Ricky Wangstrom

Offline Celdur

• R-Type Force Pod
  • :33
    • View Profile
« Reply #4411 on: November 24, 2010, 10:37:17 am »
what the **** was notch doing :/

Quote from: Krakow sam
That quote is actualy very witty, Celdur. I suggest you use that in your signature.

Offline Gauphastus

• Ice Climber
  • Hey, man.
    • View Profile
    • Gauphastumblr
« Reply #4412 on: November 24, 2010, 10:46:08 am »
"Ma all the gods of furious strong be with you as you crunch opposents, and live like a windrammer as you f**k."
       ~Ricky Wangstrom

Offline Mangerman

• Tempest Top Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #4413 on: November 24, 2010, 01:57:59 pm »
The bugs are really annoying, this must be the most buggy version of Minecraft I have played to date.

I know it is an Alpha, but sometimes I wonder if Notch only looks at the code and forgets to check in the game itself whether his changes work or not :P
A multitude of rulers is not a good thing. Let there be one ruler, one king.

Offline martyk

• Simon Belmont
  • Never underestimate the power of dolphin!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4414 on: November 24, 2010, 02:02:16 pm »
In all fairness, that is how developing games, or any software for that matter works.  With anything you change, add or fix, you will break 2 other things.  That is why alphas are generally not open.  That is why betas generally aren't open.  We are being given a very rare oppertunity to play the game in these rudimentary stages, and then are surpised that it's not polished yet.

It irks me when people think that alpha only means that not all the features are there yet.  What would you prefer, that he doesn't let us play it until it's done?
Quote from: Doctor Zay
Martyk is a handsome fish.
Quote from: Brandonazz
This dolphin is delicious.
<Sgore> Martyk, mentally I always picture you as like, our forums bartender.
<Neoadept> I've always pictured you trapped in a tuna net

Offline Mangerman

• Tempest Top Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #4415 on: November 24, 2010, 02:12:22 pm »
Oh, I am very much aware of that, doesn't change the fact that I can complain a bit when it's this buggy  ;)
A multitude of rulers is not a good thing. Let there be one ruler, one king.

Offline Gauphastus

• Ice Climber
  • Hey, man.
    • View Profile
    • Gauphastumblr
« Reply #4416 on: November 24, 2010, 03:13:36 pm »
I will say though that, while buggy, playing on that test world with monsters and animals and PvP enabled was a blast.
I don't know how effective this city will be when it comes to dealing with the monsters, but hopefully we'll have most of the major preparation ready soon.
       ~Ricky Wangstrom

Offline Cyst

• Space Harrier
  • V 3 $ T H 3 T I C /// 新鮮な盗まれたアート
    • View Profile
« Reply #4417 on: November 24, 2010, 03:26:49 pm »
We need cacti. So we can protect ourselves without weapons.
DEATH TO DAESH! In solidarity with Rojava!
-----------
Oh come now, Lurk.

The internet is a magical place, where linguistic and dialectic possibilities are endless. Why not embrace those variations and see where they lead you.

Offline Kitkat

• Ultima III Time Lord
  • Beep Boop.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4418 on: November 24, 2010, 03:28:59 pm »
I would like PvP, also!
Goddamnit kitkat, you make me look late
Come check out The Bino and The Ni'Calls
(Or don't these are old and embarrasing)

Offline Kidsoldier

• Star Castle Cadet
    • View Profile
    • The Art of Warfare (TAW)
« Reply #4419 on: November 24, 2010, 09:54:13 pm »
Oh, I am very much aware of that, doesn't change the fact that I can complain a bit when it's this buggy  ;)

The point is that you shouldn't complain a bit when it's this buggy.
TAW is recruiting members now! Check it out at TAW.net

Offline DarkDragon

• Final Fantasy Fanatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4420 on: November 25, 2010, 03:17:27 am »
Hey guys, my server is now back up with hey0's mod, craftbook and runecraft, pvp and monsters enabled:

gamingsteve.dyndns.org

If you see signs saying [Gate], right click them to open/close the gates (the spawn is a small castle with 2 gates), if you see a sign saying [Bridge] right click it to open/close the bridge.
DarkDragon's Minecraft Survival Server (use this as the IP):

gamingsteve.dyndns.org

- The server uses a whitelist, if you're not on the whitelist (can't connect), PM me your minecraft name.

Offline Gnoll

• Track and Field Jock
  • Grrrrr...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4421 on: November 25, 2010, 11:18:01 am »
Griefers keep attacking my stuff, so I built an underwater Library. The only entrance is lava. This is in Classic Multiplayer, BTW.
Who are you again and why in the world would you expect anything resembling rationality or civility in youtube comments?

Offline Eagle

• Donkey Kong King
  • I AM SO FASHIONABLE
    • View Profile
« Reply #4422 on: November 25, 2010, 11:58:23 am »
I noticed water springs etc are a bit broken
I am bloody FASHIONABLE eagle!1!

Offline Celdur

• R-Type Force Pod
  • :33
    • View Profile
« Reply #4423 on: November 25, 2010, 12:13:54 pm »
I will say though that, while buggy, playing on that test world with monsters and animals and PvP enabled was a blast.
I don't know how effective this city will be when it comes to dealing with the monsters, but hopefully we'll have most of the major preparation ready soon.

walls walls walls i say

if we light the entire city up proper, and build a big and sexy wall, not just some crappy 1 wide cobblestone piece of ****, and we do it all around, then the inside of the city will be completely safe.

ofcource thats going to require a ton of resources >.>

Quote from: Krakow sam
That quote is actualy very witty, Celdur. I suggest you use that in your signature.

Offline Gauphastus

• Ice Climber
  • Hey, man.
    • View Profile
    • Gauphastumblr
« Reply #4424 on: November 25, 2010, 12:26:03 pm »
After we blow away these last couple of mountains here, we'll have more than enough.
       ~Ricky Wangstrom