Poll

Hurp

Durp
Derp

Author Topic: Minecraft  (Read 679402 times)

Offline Rysworld

• Autoduel Mechanic
  • hhhhhhhh
    • View Profile
Re: Minecraft
« Reply #3975 on: October 15, 2010, 07:11:26 pm »
COOL STORY BRO

But yeah, Minecraft is much scarier than it should be, considering the entire game is blocks.

Offline Huckbuck

• Balloon Fight Aerialist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3976 on: October 16, 2010, 05:22:41 am »
An intervew with Notch in Swedish crap paper Aftonbladet:

http://www.aftonbladet.se/nojesbladet/spela/article7965992.ab
@davidramnero

Offline Legodragonxp

• Excitebike Gearhead
  • Now for some real user power...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3977 on: October 16, 2010, 06:27:00 am »
Swedish to English translation (from Google... or as best as I am willing to tinker with.)

He understands there are hardly self.

Entirely on their own, and without any budget to speak of, created Markus Persson from Stockholm a computer game.

Now you want the whole world pay for it.

In September, Mark earned 16 million dollars.

The time is 00:00:03 on 22 September and Mark Pearson has just made a button bucks.

At 00:00:06, he earned another one.

At 00:00:09, he earned a second.

And so it goes. At 24 hours, he sells a copy of "Mine Craft" - which costs 9.95 euros to download - every three seconds. And then starts the next day.

Has thinned a hat
About Markus Persson was a gangster rapper who recently debuted with an album on the theme of "life in the slums" so it would be about now that he had bought a Hummer with a home theater system in the trunk. But Mark Pearson is not a gangster rapper.

He is 31 years old nerd who recently made his debut with a game that largely is to look for minerals in mines and hide from the square head. And the only thing he buys a new hat.

- Or no, I bought one of those ritbrädegrej too! It cost 20 000 and I do not use it, but that's probably the most wasteful I have done. If I had thought about it so I probably would not buy it.

It is difficult to understand that there actually is a multimillionaire who are sitting in front of me on the oil bar in Stockholm. The only thing that suggests that he has no money at all is the shopping bag that he has made next to our table. It says Dressman on it.

Pearson seems to have barely understood it myself.

- It's an unreal feeling. It goes round and turned suddenly thought, oh ... I am ... rich.

Playing everywhere
Markus Persson's success story unparalleled in today's gaming world. He started with nothing more than a game idea, a computer and two bare hands. One and a half years later, 'Mine Craft "is not even finished. But 402 157 people have the time of writing paid a button bucks were to download an early version - and it's playing everywhere.

In schools, workplaces and the U.S. studio Valve - the guys behind "Half-Life". The latter is so impressed that they fly over St. Mark's in Seattle to recruit him.

- Valve 's like my idols, so I was probably best around and gaped. But it was very nice. And so I got free games also.

Despite this, thank Persson down "and starts rather than a small game studio - which will now be complete 'Mine Craft" and also develop a new game.

Of course there are two issues that are in desperate need of an answer right now. Firstly, what exactly is' Mine Craft "?

Has become the Youtube phenomenon
'Mine Craft "is a game where the player wakes up on a random island where everything is made of square blocks. To survive on this island, one must use its resources to designing stuff.

And the players have discovered that just the construction of virtually no restrictions - you can build more things than axes and functioning doors, you can actually build exact copies of "Star Trek" starship Enterprise and functioning computers.

And the YouTube videos on the latter two have become minor phenomenon is probably a large part of the answer to the second question:

Why is Mine Craft succeeded?

- You have to get the fame of the game to spread from person to person, for that indie developers have been and can not afford any advertising budget, "said Pearson. It comes to getting players to burn and like to share what they do in the game.

Is there a future
'Mine Craft "is a kick in the crotch out of all the major publishers are convinced that one can only make money on the already established game concepts - and an encouraging pat on the back of all the little indie developers who hope to someday be able to support themselves in their games.

It is a sign that there is a future where the economy that drives the games industry works in a different way. And that we are approaching it.

A few seconds at a time.

Offline Kishmond

• Ultima III Time Lord
  • Alfalfa Mainframe
    • View Profile
    • I'll Eat Your Brains
« Reply #3978 on: October 16, 2010, 09:45:44 am »
Cool hat.
Yeah, [Kishmond] came back from Africa, but the ponies have him now.

Offline Gauphastus

• Ice Climber
  • Hey, man.
    • View Profile
    • Gauphastumblr
« Reply #3979 on: October 16, 2010, 10:49:25 am »
I do like his hat.
"Ma all the gods of furious strong be with you as you crunch opposents, and live like a windrammer as you f**k."
       ~Ricky Wangstrom

Offline Rysworld

• Autoduel Mechanic
  • hhhhhhhh
    • View Profile
« Reply #3980 on: October 16, 2010, 10:50:38 am »
Oh, I have one just like it!

Awesome!

Offline martyk

• Simon Belmont
  • Never underestimate the power of dolphin!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3981 on: October 16, 2010, 04:00:50 pm »
a game that largely is to look for minerals in mines and hide from the square

I'd say that's pretty accurate.
Quote from: Doctor Zay
Martyk is a handsome fish.
Quote from: Brandonazz
This dolphin is delicious.
<Sgore> Martyk, mentally I always picture you as like, our forums bartender.
<Neoadept> I've always pictured you trapped in a tuna net

Offline Lippy

• Galaga General
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3982 on: October 16, 2010, 06:12:40 pm »
In Minecraft, it's hip to be square. 

Offline Gnoll

• Track and Field Jock
  • Grrrrr...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3983 on: October 16, 2010, 06:25:15 pm »
Indeed, your hips are square in MineCraft. So is everything else. Oh, but watch out for the creepers!
(Read like a show for kids)
Who are you again and why in the world would you expect anything resembling rationality or civility in youtube comments?

Offline Kishmond

• Ultima III Time Lord
  • Alfalfa Mainframe
    • View Profile
    • I'll Eat Your Brains
« Reply #3984 on: October 16, 2010, 06:28:40 pm »
I like making circles in Minecraft. Does that mean I'm uncool?

:'(
Yeah, [Kishmond] came back from Africa, but the ponies have him now.

Offline Legodragonxp

• Excitebike Gearhead
    • View Profile
« Reply #3985 on: October 16, 2010, 06:55:31 pm »
Finally tinkered with a spawning kill room. Took a little tinkering but i got it to work. Setting off four dozen TNT charges at once... priceless.

-Lego

Offline Gnoll

• Track and Field Jock
  • Grrrrr...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3986 on: October 16, 2010, 07:09:32 pm »
Pictures or I will not sleep tonight.
Who are you again and why in the world would you expect anything resembling rationality or civility in youtube comments?

Offline Legodragonxp

• Excitebike Gearhead
    • View Profile
« Reply #3987 on: October 17, 2010, 08:23:44 am »
OK... pictures...

Last nights collections during a couple episodes of the X-files.

This is the collection room from my mob killing room. While I'm not getting the 'thousands of units per hour' that some people are claiming, to be honest I collect more than enough with my little setup.

This is my 'base'. The grass area in the middile is the farming and storage area. The large block structure on the left is the mob spawner. It is two levels tall and both levels drain in to a 2x2 drowning pit. There is a secondary catctus trap afterwards for catching spiders that get through. The collection tunnel is completely underground (the end is the sandy area on the left of the main base), the connection building you see is just my observation tunnel I built to make sure the whole thing works as is blocked off because mobs were spawning in it.

Here you see the fruits of my labor. 57 units of TNT stacked in a 2x1 tunnel.

Here is top of the TNT stack... the before picture. Had I taken the time I would have rigged a redstone fuse, yadda, yadda...

The after shot. Sorry, there was no 'during' shot.

Walking up to the blast zone.

Looking down the hole. Night is falling.

At the bottom looking up.

I tried to get a 'cave view' shot out of cartographer but this map is more or less 'solid' cave systems. If nothing else I need a ton of signs to avoid getting lost, even with only putting torches on the right hand walls (so when you run back you make sure all torches are on your left (for large rooms torches go on the floor if they are not guidance torches.. try it, it really does help).

-Lego

Offline Celdur

• R-Type Force Pod
  • :33
    • View Profile
« Reply #3988 on: October 17, 2010, 08:50:38 am »
nice base you got there, though could you make the mob kill machine look less boring? >.>

also, for cave exploran i put up 3 block L shapes that sort of point to the entrance

Quote from: Krakow sam
That quote is actualy very witty, Celdur. I suggest you use that in your signature.

Offline Mr. Wizard

• Karate Champ
    • View Profile
« Reply #3989 on: October 17, 2010, 10:16:43 am »
A lot of people, including myself, think that bricks are more  explosion resistant that Cobblestone. So I tested it myself.

Well, all it destoys is the notion that Bricks completely resist explosions. The most surprising thing is that it ejected particles that destroyed single blocks a few meters away.