Poll

Hurp

Durp
Derp

Author Topic: Minecraft  (Read 681141 times)

Offline Legodragonxp

• Excitebike Gearhead
  • Now for some real user power...
    • View Profile
Re: Minecraft
« Reply #3540 on: September 07, 2010, 06:46:50 pm »
Unfortunately, they also destroy drops.
Um.. let me tinker with that some more, I think I know a mechanic workaround since I have recovered some drops.

Anyhow... the ship. It is still a work in progress, but you get the idea so far.

And this is the underside of the ship. I don't normally have it lit since I want to hide it as much as possible.

Here you can see the water getting sucked under the ship, this pulls the mobs in to the cactus below.

No cheats have been used. I have been chopping the wood as I go. One thing I do with trees is, after taking all the wood, I burn them away and plant a new tree. Even if you torch a good tree, you can still recover the burning logs.

-Lego
« Last Edit: September 07, 2010, 06:49:03 pm by Legodragonxp »

Offline LadyM

• Mortal Kombat Konqueror
  • I'm not confused anymore
    • View Profile
    • LadyMpire
« Reply #3541 on: September 07, 2010, 07:19:29 pm »
Wow, that ship is awesome.  :o What a neat idea.

Offline Kishmond

• Ultima III Time Lord
  • Alfalfa Mainframe
    • View Profile
    • I'll Eat Your Brains
« Reply #3542 on: September 07, 2010, 08:41:45 pm »
My Dad is addicted to Minecraft now. It's kind of funny but also kind of sad.  :-\
Yeah, [Kishmond] came back from Africa, but the ponies have him now.

Online Tesla

• Street Fighter Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #3543 on: September 08, 2010, 07:47:08 am »
Woah Lego, you picked up the game fast. My friends would still be making crappy houses.
No way dude, you're trolling me.

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #3544 on: September 08, 2010, 07:48:05 am »
That's beautiful, Lego!

Offline Legodragonxp

• Excitebike Gearhead
    • View Profile
« Reply #3545 on: September 08, 2010, 09:53:36 am »
This could be a possible spoiler for people that like to figure out things for themselves as I am addressing game mechanics. Consider this a SPOILER WARNING

Things I have learned so far:

Spiders jump, but only one space. Stand on top of a three block high wall and just whack them on the top of the head until dead.

Always carry a stack of sand. Sand is your best friend in my opinion because:
-It always falls to fill in a space.
-You can make a mini tower to fight spiders with.
-You can drop two blocks of it on a mob quickly and it will die.
-If you need to get down from a high place you can drop a tower of sand and then dig down.
-If you made a tower of sand to get up somewhere you can remove it from the bottom and get it all back.
-Sand will block water and lava.
-Sand is rare deep underground and can be used as markers in long branching caverns. “Oh look, a sand block, I was here already”, “Oh look, a sand wall tunnel, I must have thought something bad was on the other side.”
-You can place cactus on sand. :)

Farm cactus. They are worth the trouble to walk around and find one (they are almost always on the beach). Once you find one destroy cut it down (hit the bottom block). You should get 1 block for every block of cactus. Cactus can only be placed on sand, and they cannot be placed with anything next to them (north, south, east, or west). Only place one block as they grow very fast to a maximum height of 3 blocks in less than a day. You can run between the single space between cactus if you are careful and not get hurt. They do a ½ point of damage per bump. You can make solid walls of cactus by planting them diagonally. They grow so fast that you can wall in a castle in little time (remember that sand I told you to carry, this is one of the reasons why). 1 block becomes 3, then 9, 27,81, etc.. you’ll soon have more than you’ll ever need.

Another thing about cactus is that mobs are pretty stupid and will run in to it. They block arrows as well. Have mob chase you to a wall of cactus, squeeze through it, and then run back and forth until the mob dies on the spikes. Keep back three spaces and you can take out Creepers too without them blowing up.

Buckets – They let you carry lava or water. Once you fill a bucket put it in your inventory and don’t put it back in your tool bar until you are ready to use it. Nothing is more annoying than pouring lava all over you castle when all you meant to do was open a door.

Lava will flow 3 spaces out from its source on level ground. Nothing flammable should be placed within 2 spaces of lava as it has a bad habit of spitting out little fire balls. Creepers do not explode if they fall in to lava. Lava can make a nice moat. 

Water will flow 7 spaces out from its source on level ground. Water will not ‘fill in’ a large area, like a large pit, unless you actually dig the pit with water in it. If you were to make a walled off area that was 7x7x7 for example and them placed water blocks all around the top edge of it, the water would fall down the walls and then shallow currents would drag anything in the water to the center of the room at the bottom. Placing something in the middle, like say a cactus, makes for a nice trap.

Never dig straight up unless you know what is up there. Lava is not only at the bottom of the map. Gravel is like sand and can bury you as well.

In case you hadn’t heard, you can place two wooden chests side by side to make one big chest. Who doesn’t like a big chest after all?

You can jump from any height in to two blocks or deeper of water and take no damage.

You can jump no more than three spaces before taking fall damage.

Ladders are fun. You only need to make one on every other block to have them work. Some things I need to check on with ladders: My son mentioned you can’t build them in the dark. If I understand the mechanic right, you could use ladders to build an ‘landing pad’ that would allow you to jump from any height in to an 2 block wide area lined with ladders and take advantage of the cushioning effect.

Torches never burn out and can be reused. They have a light radius of 8 (need to double check that number). Enemy mobs do not spawn in lit areas, so put down torches when you can.

Wool from sheep is great for markers since it does not appear naturally in the game as a minable item.

I’m sure there is more, but this is my initial brain dumping.

-Lego
« Last Edit: September 11, 2010, 07:23:25 pm by Legodragonxp »

Offline Eagle

• Donkey Kong King
  • I AM SO FASHIONABLE
    • View Profile
« Reply #3546 on: September 08, 2010, 10:26:23 am »
It sucks animals fade in and out of existance, I had like 5 sheep before they mysteriously vanished.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2010, 10:28:06 am by Eagle »
I am bloody FASHIONABLE eagle!1!

Offline FROMAN

• Journey Groupie
  • =ω=
    • View Profile
« Reply #3547 on: September 08, 2010, 10:43:10 am »
I can improve on your ladder strategy as long as your going up a mineshaft or a surface that has an adjacent edge. what you do is place the ladder then climb to the top of the ladder (so your standing on top of it) and place another ladder on the other side. This allows you to use very few ladders to make an ascent.

Offline Legodragonxp

• Excitebike Gearhead
    • View Profile
« Reply #3548 on: September 08, 2010, 10:48:02 am »
Yeah animals only have a half-day life or so. What I can't stand are the chickens... or are they ducks? Chucks?  Chuckens? Duckens? Dickens? Anyhow those little rats with wings get in to everything and screw up the works. They seem particularly fond of screwing up my son's creations in multiplayer.

Dickens. LOL. The ghost of Christmas future is an egg. The Ghost of Christmas present is a live ducken. The ghost of Christmas past is a bucket of KFC. Colonel Sanders plays Scrooge.

-Lego
« Last Edit: September 08, 2010, 10:53:04 am by Legodragonxp »

Offline Eagle

• Donkey Kong King
  • I AM SO FASHIONABLE
    • View Profile
« Reply #3549 on: September 08, 2010, 10:55:11 am »
Yeah animals only have a half-day life or so.
After some thought, this pit of mine is still brilliant, animals fall in but can't get out and after a good day of exploring I can drop down slaughter everything and use their remains for health and wool.

Cows seem useless though.
I am bloody FASHIONABLE eagle!1!

Offline Legodragonxp

• Excitebike Gearhead
    • View Profile
« Reply #3550 on: September 08, 2010, 10:58:07 am »
Yeah animals only have a half-day life or so.
After some thought, this pit of mine is still brilliant, animals fall in but can't get out and after a good day of exploring I can drop down slaughter everything and use their remains for health and wool.

Cows seem useless though.

Cows give you hides to make leather armor. Saves on having to use metal for it.

-Lego

Offline Rysworld

• Autoduel Mechanic
  • hhhhhhhh
    • View Profile
« Reply #3551 on: September 08, 2010, 11:10:41 am »
Also, leather armor doesn't encumber you as much as other types when you're swimming.

Offline Legodragonxp

• Excitebike Gearhead
    • View Profile
« Reply #3552 on: September 08, 2010, 01:58:51 pm »
A couple more bits of knowledge, more like game mechanics abuse...

Boats. Right-click to get in, right-click to get out. Do not jump on or near boats or they may go shooting away from you (and if they hit something they break). Always carry at least two boats if you use them.

Ladders as nets:

In this image I have placed a ladder on either side of this 2 space wide opening 4 spaces up. You can fall any distance in to this opening now, and when you get to the level of the ladders you'll slow and then safely fall the last three spaces. Actually you can place the ladders 5 spaces up since your character is 2 spaces tall, you don't start falling again until your head clears the bottom of the ladder.

Another stupid ladder trick. Ladders work as water blockers (I am guessing they don't block lava, I'll have to test). In this picture I had a 3x3 block of sand, cut out the middle block, place the ladder, and then removed some of the sand. This created currents.

However, If you just place the ladder in the water in the first place, it will slope the water, but without currents. You can place ladders underwater and they will create an air pocket. So... place one at head height and you can scuba all day long.

Doors also displace water, open or closed. Also, you can stand in a doorway and kill monsters on the otherside.

-Lego

Offline MetallicDragon

• Apprentice Enchanter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3553 on: September 08, 2010, 03:59:28 pm »
If you travel on water much at all, you gotta use this dock design (patent pending).

You can land your boat by simply driving into it at full speed, and take off by just pushing it into the water and getting on it.

It's really easy to make too: Just a layer of half-blocks at the topmost layer of water.

Offline Clarke

• Jungle Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3554 on: September 08, 2010, 04:05:20 pm »
I really hope Notch manages a work around to the current non-full block's interaction with water. Its been a problem since he first added saplings, I believe.