Poll

Hurp

Durp
Derp

Author Topic: Minecraft  (Read 681433 times)

Offline Rysworld

• Autoduel Mechanic
  • hhhhhhhh
    • View Profile
Re: Minecraft
« Reply #2520 on: July 08, 2010, 07:30:17 am »
It makes me want to have been into Minecraft when everyone was gifting it last Christmas, but I can sate myself with Let's Plays for now.

Offline Gauphastus

• Ice Climber
  • Hey, man.
    • View Profile
    • Gauphastumblr
« Reply #2521 on: July 08, 2010, 04:23:46 pm »
So survival multiplayer will be coming out eventually here, I'd say within the next few weeks at least, unless there are issues.
Notch can be pretty speedy when he wants to be.

Predictions aside, I wanted to talk with you guys about some things.

As many of you are aware, I will be attempting to host a server. It will at first be using an infinite-sized map; the other sizes will likely work just fine. So, I don't know how successful this will be. Even Notch himself has reservations regarding the host machine's RAM usage with only a few players.
But we'll see how that goes.
With that in mind, I will not be hosting our server immediately at release. The first thing we're going to do is run some tests with a limited amount of players to ensure my machine can handle it. They will be fairly brief tests, so we won't be waiting too long to get to the main game.  :)
If that doesn't work, we'll just hang out on a huge deep floating island map or something. Those are fun.

There is a pretty important discussion going on over in the minecraft forums about griefing in survival multiplayer.
Maybe give it a look-over to see the types of people you might be playing with, if you're curious about that. Otherwise, it's still an interesting read.
http://www.minecraftforum.net/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=16862

This leads in to my expectations from you guys during play.
Now I know some of you may be concerned about how this is going to go, in light of my comments before--

Quote from: Guap
You know what a lot of the folks on the Minecraft forum are saying on [griefing]?

They're delusional. They say that there is no such thing as griefing in survival multiplayer. Dudes coming by, killing you, wrecking and stealing your stuff?
Oh, it's all part of the game of course. It's bad form if you ban them.

Quote from: gaph
Just remember, it's all fun and games until people realize you're gonna play the raging warmonger card every game. Say what you will about the rules of survival multiplayer, but people won't think it's all so exciting if there's a good chance they're gonna get raided and killed every time they get a meager settlement going.

I admit the first quote is a hasty reaction, but I soon came to agree on some level. I completely disagree that there will be no such thing as griefing, but I absolutely agree that PvP is part of the game. Some amount of PvP will go on during play. This is acceptable, but refer to the second quote. If you continually harass other players with thievery, vandalism, or murder, you are very quickly going to find yourself very much disliked. If you do this sort of thing on our Gamingsteve server, you may later be completely without allies if we do some sort of mass exodus to a public server, or for when our own server becomes open to the public.
That's not even getting into how it may potentially harm your relationships with other forumers. I caution you, but I won't stop you, and I certainly won't ban you.
Not for that anyway. No, what I will be getting after you for are the usual things you might expect: poor etiquette, abusing game mechanics to cause trouble, disobeying the game rules if we change to a different ruleset (ie. "freebuild, no PvP"), causing a big fuss on the forum here regarding problems or bad times you've had in-game, or.. other things as they come up.

I'm sure other stuff I haven't considered will come up after release. Just consider these things now while it's nice and early.
I hope it doesn't feel like I'm expecting much here. This seems like pretty standard stuff.

That's all for now, gentlemen. Carry on.
"Ma all the gods of furious strong be with you as you crunch opposents, and live like a windrammer as you f**k."
       ~Ricky Wangstrom

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #2522 on: July 08, 2010, 04:27:45 pm »
For the record, I hate PvP. People are dicks in PvP.

**EDIT**
And you know what they say about dicks.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2010, 04:30:44 pm by PatMan33 »

Offline Josasa

• Commando Soldier
    • View Profile
« Reply #2523 on: July 08, 2010, 04:43:13 pm »
I really doubt that I'll be killing people unless they come after me. In which case I'll probably die a few more times before I'm able to get them. The real reason I look forward to multiplayer survival mode is because of the teamwork. That is the thing I think will be the most fun.

But that's just me tooting my own horn.

Offline Gauphastus

• Ice Climber
  • Hey, man.
    • View Profile
    • Gauphastumblr
« Reply #2524 on: July 08, 2010, 04:50:24 pm »
Well, the game is kinda sorta fundamentally about PvE anyway. All that landscaping, sheltering, monster slaying and stuff. So we add multiplayer and suddenly half the playerbase starts scrambling to kill everybody else. What the hell happened?

It looks like some people think this is gonna turn into some really big competitive gaming thing, and I just don't see it, nor do I get it.

I'm with Jo here. I'm in it for the cooperative play.
Just wanna have fun and screw around.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2010, 04:52:08 pm by Gauphastus »
"Ma all the gods of furious strong be with you as you crunch opposents, and live like a windrammer as you f**k."
       ~Ricky Wangstrom

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #2525 on: July 08, 2010, 05:02:53 pm »
You're fooling yourself if you don't think a fair number of people are going to make it their mission to kill everyone they can and ruin everything they can.

Remember when Minecraft first went multiplayer? Heck, remember Infiniminer? Come on, don't be naive.

Offline Cyst

• Space Harrier
  • V 3 $ T H 3 T I C /// 新鮮な盗まれたアート
    • View Profile
« Reply #2526 on: July 08, 2010, 05:06:22 pm »
Ahh, the days of setting off a huge chain of tnt blocks to ruin everyones fun in infiniminer. Those were the days.
DEATH TO DAESH! In solidarity with Rojava!
-----------
Oh come now, Lurk.

The internet is a magical place, where linguistic and dialectic possibilities are endless. Why not embrace those variations and see where they lead you.

Offline Gauphastus

• Ice Climber
  • Hey, man.
    • View Profile
    • Gauphastumblr
« Reply #2527 on: July 08, 2010, 05:19:23 pm »
You're fooling yourself if you don't think a fair number of people are going to make it their mission to kill everyone they can and ruin everything they can.

Remember when Minecraft first went multiplayer? Heck, remember Infiniminer? Come on, don't be naive.

What? I don't disagree. I'm just saying I don't like it is all.
(by 'playerbase' I was referring to the much larger Minecraft community forums rather than this one anyway)
I'm not so worried about things when the server remains private. When it's public though, that's where things could either get real interesting and exciting, or really quite lame and boring.

Still, like I've basically been saying for months, I just wanna hang out with some dudes and dig tunnels for now.
Once that's satisfied, other interests will come up I'm sure.
       ~Ricky Wangstrom

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #2528 on: July 08, 2010, 05:28:24 pm »
Fair enough.

Would you agree that the Minecraft forum is probably not the best representation of everyone that plays Minecraft? At least to me, the Aspergite thing was as clear a sign of that as any. :D

Offline Gauphastus

• Ice Climber
  • Hey, man.
    • View Profile
    • Gauphastumblr
« Reply #2529 on: July 08, 2010, 05:47:32 pm »
Well, like I said, those are the sorts of people we will later be playing with. It's just surprising how split the community is over this issue.
But it was mainly an example going by the numbers. There may be a lot of noise going on over there, but you can get a lot of information out of the hundreds of people that go through that place week to week.
It's pretty chaotic with the constant flow of new members, but I guess that's just what happens.

EDIT: Spotted a really good post in that thread I linked earlier.
http://www.minecraftforum.net/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=16862&start=90#p309643 (subboy's post, should be really long)
« Last Edit: July 08, 2010, 05:52:07 pm by Gauphastus »
       ~Ricky Wangstrom

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #2530 on: July 08, 2010, 05:58:11 pm »
Those people are only a small percentage of the folks we'll be playing with. That's what I'm trying to say. Hardcore fans are usually the most out of touch with how things are and will become because they idealize everything and can't be objective.

All I want to hear is that if people are picking on other people, they'll be dealt with. It may be a PvP environment, but PvP in any successful venture is also done at the player's discretion. And since it does not look like there will be a box saying "do you want to battle this guy", I want assurance that if someone keeps coming after me after I've said I don't want to fight, that person will be taken care of.

Offline martyk

• Simon Belmont
  • Never underestimate the power of dolphin!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2531 on: July 08, 2010, 06:06:28 pm »
Exactly.  If it's between us for the most part, it will be controlled.  There will be PvP, but only when all parties are in accordance.  Don't want to be attacked?  Say so and you will be left alone.
Quote from: Doctor Zay
Martyk is a handsome fish.
Quote from: Brandonazz
This dolphin is delicious.
<Sgore> Martyk, mentally I always picture you as like, our forums bartender.
<Neoadept> I've always pictured you trapped in a tuna net

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #2532 on: July 08, 2010, 06:09:41 pm »
And I expect everyone in this group to abide by that. We're all pretty much on the level.

But if someone decides that they're going to "just play around" and kill me, something should happen.

Offline Kaizer

• Mail Order Monster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2533 on: July 08, 2010, 06:12:10 pm »
build a giant coliseum where we can have bloody games where we fight each other and other beasts while lavishing in our decadent lifestyles

Offline Gauphastus

• Ice Climber
  • Hey, man.
    • View Profile
    • Gauphastumblr
« Reply #2534 on: July 08, 2010, 06:21:21 pm »
Quote from: Patman33
All I want to hear is that if people are picking on other people, they'll be dealt with. It may be a PvP environment, but PvP in any successful venture is also done at the player's discretion. And since it does not look like there will be a box saying "do you want to battle this guy", I want assurance that if someone keeps coming after me after I've said I don't want to fight, that person will be taken care of.

Oh, yeah. Absolutely. If you guys have any problems with others while you're trying to play, I or another op will take care of it.

I absolutely don't want any douchebaggery on the server.

I very briefly touched on rulesets before (ie. "freebuild, no PvP"). There may be times, depending on your guys' demand, where we'll open it up. We'll remove any gameplay rules but the general server rules will remain. What this means is that eventually we're going to at least try to play a sort of free-for-all deal where you can opt to cooperate or do raids or whatever. And yeah, that'll include the PvP element.
When that time comes, I'll be wanting to make sure we all agree what we're getting into.
And don't worry, we can enforce any gameplay rulesets at any time. So when we've decided we're tired of all that, we can go back to freebuild or whatever.

Otherwise, it should be fairly relaxed. I won't say there won't be problems, or that you won't find yourself frustrated by some problem or another, but we'll do our best to maintain order.

Remember though, it may or may not be a shaky start while we sort things out. I do want to do some larger gameplay tests, that's aside from the technical ones, when it comes out to get a feel for it, and then I'll start making up definite rules and stuff.

That arena idea ain't bad either. There could be rewards and stuff for winners.  :P

EDIT: Sorry if I gave a few mixed messages throughout the page. We're a bit early in trying to set up anything concrete, but I think this discussion is helping to iron a few things out.
Hopefully you're a bit more assured. Trust me, guys. This is all for you. I'll try my best to make sure this thing stays fun for as long as possible.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2010, 06:38:28 pm by Gauphastus »
       ~Ricky Wangstrom