Poll

Hurp

Durp
Derp

Author Topic: Minecraft  (Read 680755 times)

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
Re: Minecraft
« Reply #2505 on: July 06, 2010, 04:04:55 pm »

:D

Online Brandonazz

• Baseball SuperStar
  • Hoc etiam transibit
    • View Profile
    • My Internet Treasure Trove
« Reply #2506 on: July 06, 2010, 04:10:04 pm »
I dug a 3x3 shaft under Can Town all the way to the bottom and have found almost no coal at all, and no caves. None. I guess even stuff like this has regional variance.

There's coal everywhere in my tunnels. I've stopped mining it out of lack of need.

Offline Clarke

• Jungle Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2507 on: July 06, 2010, 04:13:40 pm »

:D
I don't think its really that funny. >.>

Offline Kishmond

• Ultima III Time Lord
  • Alfalfa Mainframe
    • View Profile
    • I'll Eat Your Brains
« Reply #2508 on: July 06, 2010, 04:47:55 pm »
Oh, man. Every duplicate crafted, no wrench. It'll probably be to at least 80 by morning, too.

Yes it is completely random when crafting any recipe.

I belive this goes in tf2 hahaha.

Oh snap so that's where it went.
Yeah, [Kishmond] came back from Africa, but the ponies have him now.

Offline Clarke

• Jungle Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2509 on: July 06, 2010, 06:06:35 pm »
Oh hey, look at this suggestion thread.

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #2510 on: July 06, 2010, 06:17:55 pm »
I don't think its really that funny. >.>

Different folks for different strokes.

Offline Kishmond

• Ultima III Time Lord
  • Alfalfa Mainframe
    • View Profile
    • I'll Eat Your Brains
« Reply #2511 on: July 06, 2010, 07:51:11 pm »
Today I decided to turn on peaceful mode and walk around the coast to the west, to see if Can Town is on an island. This is part 1 of the trip.

I leave in the morning and explore the coast immediately nearby first. At first I planned to walk all night, but you can't see any of the cool scenery, so I spent the night in a cave. After turning the corner in the morning was when I saw this, and started taking pictures.

It's just the first in a long line of very impressive mountains. I now know (after 3 days) that this is the highest mountain on the explored portion.

On the mountain is a very nice waterfall, so of course I climb to the top and slide down.

Just barely out of sight of the last picture is a natural aboveground lava fall.

After another half day of walking I get to an ocean too big to see across. This seems to be where the east-west coast ends.

It's getting dark, and this cave looks nice and deep and ready for exploring.

Imagine my surprise when right at the bottom is this. (I was very surprised, I had never seen this before.)

The chest had iron, buckets, string, and bread in it. I couldn't carry it all so I just took the buckets and iron.
The cave was small, but very steep. It's shaped like a pair of pants and this is at the bottom of one of the "legs" looking up.

I built a furnace, mined everything I could, and left in the morning.

Instead of going south down the coast I crossed the thin almost flooded land bridge to another landmass. This had a large mountain I gave the unimaginative name of "West Point". This is from the top looking back the way I had came.

On the other side of the mountain is a very cool canyon. This is inside it looking up.

On the other side of the canyon is more impressive terrain, but at this point I remember the original island is more important and turn back.

As the sun sets on the third day, there aren't any really interesting caves to explore... except this boring hold in the ground. On the bright side, I learned how to make as many water sources as I want with only 2 "seed" sources.

And that's it for now.

Offline Gauphastus

• Ice Climber
  • Hey, man.
    • View Profile
    • Gauphastumblr
« Reply #2512 on: July 07, 2010, 03:37:07 pm »
Cool little adventure there. We shall travel the lands together very soon.

Getting the levels to support more than one player turned out to be a bigger rewrite than I thought. There was a surprising amount of level.getPlayer() calls, so I added a level.getNearestPlayer(x, y, z), which worked great as a substitute for most of the calls.
Another issue was the tile polling. In the original version, tiles between two players would get polled twice as frequently as tiles only near a single player. This also affected the mob spawner code. The solution there was to build a set of all unique chunks near players, which turns out to be handy when I do the memory caching of terrain data anyway.

I haven’t actually implemented any multiplayer support in the client yet, but I did do some work on it, which leads up to version 1.0.3:

* The pathfinder now works for hills. Except for spiders. Of course.
* Generally more convincing mob idling behavior. They’ll stand still more, looking around at their surroundings
* Monster sounds
* Ambient cave noises

Tomorrow is Thursday, then it’s Seecret Friday time, so it doesn’t seem like I’ll have anything testable this week.

Players on the forum say that the ambient cave sounds make them so nervous that they can't stay down there for long.
Hah. I'm gonna check these out.
"Ma all the gods of furious strong be with you as you crunch opposents, and live like a windrammer as you f**k."
       ~Ricky Wangstrom

Offline Celdur

• R-Type Force Pod
  • :33
    • View Profile
« Reply #2513 on: July 07, 2010, 03:41:58 pm »
while above ground i heard ****ing alien space ships or some ****, for no reason at all.

scared the **** out of me

Quote from: Krakow sam
That quote is actualy very witty, Celdur. I suggest you use that in your signature.

Offline Kaizer

• Mail Order Monster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2514 on: July 07, 2010, 03:55:00 pm »
im not hearing anything....maybe im in the wrong version idk...

OH DEAR GOD *hides under bed*
« Last Edit: July 07, 2010, 04:03:34 pm by Kaizer »

Offline Cobra

• All Your Base Zero Wing
  • People want ducks.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2515 on: July 07, 2010, 04:11:11 pm »
Ameient sounds turned down, Itunes turned up.

Offline Kaizer

• Mail Order Monster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2516 on: July 07, 2010, 04:18:27 pm »
first sound i heard was actually a water source so i go looking for it when I hear a demonish roar coming from the bottom of this huge hole that the water was falling into...then later on while i was digging down in that pit getting some coal i hear a hissing sound and footsteps I believe behind me.

I have never been so scared by a game that wasn't meant to be scary. I actually stopped playing for a bit and watched tv

Offline Rysworld

• Autoduel Mechanic
  • hhhhhhhh
    • View Profile
« Reply #2517 on: July 07, 2010, 04:35:38 pm »
Stop making me wish I have this game.

It's meeeeeaaaaan.

:(

Offline Kishmond

• Ultima III Time Lord
  • Alfalfa Mainframe
    • View Profile
    • I'll Eat Your Brains
« Reply #2518 on: July 07, 2010, 09:17:39 pm »
Sorry rysworld, but this was just too awesome to keep quiet about!

I walk along in the 4th day, just making good time over the coast, when I turn yet another corner and see this.

Immediately a name came to me: The Cliffs of Insanity!
How right I would turn out to be.

Coming closer, I can see several holes into the Cliffs, along with several waterfalls. I call this the Cleft of Insanity!

But here, right in front of the Cleft, is a sand pit with pitch dark cracks around the edges. An odd sight, really.

The waterfall slips between the cracks into a pitch dark, airless void... I am truly afraid to go down.

So instead, I head into the Cleft for the night. It's huge! I can't even see the ceiling!

While greedily scrounging for iron I fall into a narrow crevice between sand and stone. It winds off into the darkness.

Eventually reaching two steep pits. They dead-end shortly.

Back in the main chamber, I see a tunnel high in the wall. It is short and leads to another one of these things!

Having explored every passage, I put up the proper signage. The 4th night is over.

Being daylight (5th day) and not as terrifying outside, I work up the courage to swim down the tiny water-filled crevice in the sand...
After being swept past walls of solid rock for I don't know how long, I am spit out and dragged along a wide, steep river. I finally come to rest here...

I look closer and see I narrowly avoided yet another waterfall through a tiny crack in the ground, leading even further down! Clearly I have reached the Land of the Dead.

The landscape of the cave is more vertical than horizontal, and the bits that are horizontal are eerily straight and smooth. Everywhere I look there is more side tunnels, leading to almost sheer drops into darkness.

It's impossible to tell how much time has passed, but eventually and by an extremely roundabout path I find where the first waterfall ends.

I post a congratulatory message for future brave spelunkers. It turns out I had spent the whole 5th day and night down there.

But it is now the 6th day, and time to climb the Cliffs of Insanity.

It's completely impossible from here, but luckily the other side of the cliff is a gentle rising slope. Near the very top is a tiny valley full of pigs and sheep.

And here is the view from the very very top. I place a few extra waterfalls to make it more dramatic from the ground.

« Last Edit: July 07, 2010, 09:19:41 pm by Kishmond »

Offline chickenboy8

• Pong Paddle
    • View Profile
« Reply #2519 on: July 07, 2010, 10:04:02 pm »
I really like the stories your posting kishmond. with the pictures and everything makes it very interesting!
it inspires me to make stories of my travels in minecraft!