Poll

Hurp

Durp
Derp

Author Topic: Minecraft  (Read 678601 times)

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
Re: Minecraft
« Reply #2430 on: July 02, 2010, 10:26:15 am »
They should be! They're really useful.

Offline Lippy

• Galaga General
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2431 on: July 02, 2010, 04:28:16 pm »
The new Friday secret update is out.  OOOooOOOO.

I'd try it out, but I'm on my In-law's computer all weekend, which isn't up to snuff.  Which sucks because apparently there's buttons, levers, pressure plates, iron doors (only openable through buttons), new red ore (ruby?), coral, wood steps, and probably more...I'd really like to check them out but can't.  So, everyone else, go check them out for me!   ;D

Offline Raz

• Questron Serf
    • View Profile
« Reply #2432 on: July 02, 2010, 04:48:11 pm »
Is that stuff really necessary for keeping enemies out? The enemies are retarded, just stand behind a wall with a hole in it you can just punch the bastards to death.  :P

Offline Lippy

• Galaga General
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2433 on: July 02, 2010, 05:00:50 pm »
Probably because people asked for it, and he felt like doing it.  And it might be something to help keep other players out.  We'll have to play around with it and see what we can make from it all.

Offline Raz

• Questron Serf
    • View Profile
« Reply #2434 on: July 02, 2010, 05:04:32 pm »
Well, other players can already tear down the walls, even if the door were impenetrable.

Offline art_is_a_mathform

• Phoenix Fighter
  • so sincere right now
    • View Profile
« Reply #2435 on: July 02, 2010, 05:11:26 pm »
Hey! I just made a Minecraft account: the_roc. Any tips, pointers, etc.? I haven't bought the game yet, should I?

I remember there used to be a GS server for this game. I think Gauph hosted it? Is there still a GS server?
I lurked here for a long time.
Quote from: Carl Sagan
One of the great revelations of the age of space exploration is the image of the earth finite and lonely...

Offline Gauphastus

• Ice Climber
  • Hey, man.
    • View Profile
    • Gauphastumblr
« Reply #2436 on: July 02, 2010, 05:14:23 pm »
Not at the moment, but there will be when survival multiplayer is released.
"Ma all the gods of furious strong be with you as you crunch opposents, and live like a windrammer as you f**k."
       ~Ricky Wangstrom

Offline Clarke

• Jungle Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2437 on: July 03, 2010, 11:26:35 am »
and then have masses of griefers destroy everything you worked for or invade your area and kick you out?

no thanks
I doubt that griefing will be as big as a problem in multiplayer survival as it was in creative. If you recall, griefing wasn't the massive problem it is now until hacks became widespread. There was still some, but it was generally something that could be rebuilt easily enough, and the overall population was much smaller. The hacks made it easier and faster to demolish structures, and griefers could clear out hour-long projects in just a minute or less. The full-server chat made it easy for the griefer to hear the owner's reactions, which is what most want anyways.

In infinite, multiplayer survival, we have a different situation. First off, chat will most likely be confined to small spaces. If a griefer is close enough so that he can hear the owner's complaints, he is also close enough so that the owner will hear him. The owner will also likely be better armed by the griefer, simply because the griefer wants to do the most damage with the smallest amount of effort; he won't bother to walk between settlements, a task that could take ten minutes to an hour. Instead, he will likely spawn his character near the settlement, unarmed. He will likely be able to scrounge up some iron to make a sword from the owner, maybe even a bow and a few arrows, but the owner will have a larger stockpile of arrows, and if he is advanced enough, a full complement of iron armor and a diamond sword. But lets say the griefer is one of the minority that doesn't care about drama. Arriving freshly spawned at a settlment, he sets about destroying the buildings. But even a cobblestone building the same size as a starter shack takes a few minutes to be destroyed, almost longer than it takes to rebuild. And if the owner is like most minecrafters, he'll have a large supply of cobblestone(many players actually throw the stuff away, I've heard) to quickly rebuild. A player thats spent a good twelve hours on the server may have a starter-shack size hut made of obsidian(I've made a few with lava casting, its not as hard as you'd think). Destroying obsidian with an iron pick takes up to one and a half minutes. Any valuables, such as diamond, gold, and iron stockpiles, will likely hidden. Stone furnace's tops look exactly like smooth stone; replacing a single block of your mining shaft with a furnace would give you three storage spaces. I doubt a griefer would comb through your mine to find a single block, and even if he did there's better ways to hide things.

I'm actually, in a strange and perverse way, actually looking forward to griefers. After all, I don't think anybody doesn't enjoy building forts. :P

Offline Josasa

• Commando Soldier
    • View Profile
« Reply #2438 on: July 03, 2010, 11:55:15 am »
Good points Clarke.

I've got to say though, that I'm looking forward to boats more than anything. I'm not really sure why though... I just hope that it will take some effort to actually make, so that the finished project would feel like an accomplishment, something you don't really get from making things at the crafting table. I know that the boats probably won't be huge, in fact, the first one might just be a mining cart made out of wood that floats on the water, but it would be cool to eventually work your way up to that. I think it would be really cool to create trade lanes between areas, although I'm not sure how necessary that would be. I guess if Notch integrates different areas (swamp, snow, desert) they could have their own unique resources, which could create some trade. I still think it would be fun to have to strategically place settlements so that you are near caves full of resources, yet close to the shore so that you can setup trade routes with settlements farther away.

Just my thoughts on this so far.

Offline Skyward

• Ballblazer Plasmorb
    • View Profile
« Reply #2439 on: July 03, 2010, 03:38:59 pm »
So, SMP is right around the corner. Maybe we should start planning.  I don't think people should be assigned to jobs (Bob is a hunter, Joe is a farmer etc.), but we should all have freedom, otherwise people will get bored of their job, or they would be distracted by building,then some one will get angry because there isn't enough stone, and there will be a whole ordeal. Some self suffiecency will allow us to build and work at our own leisure.

Also, should we just build one city, or two cities, or a bunch of small settlements? What I was thinking, we build one large hub city we can all build on, and then we begin to branch off and build towns of a few players.

Those are just some ideas, feel free to break it down.
(Sorry for typos, typing from my phone)
Hell, Skyward Descent is pure win!
Quote from: Captain
I kill you in the name of DELICIOUS!

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #2440 on: July 03, 2010, 03:47:42 pm »
We should make a territory of our own and see what happens. Maybe some of our folks will join up and maybe others will stay hermits.

Offline Skyward

• Ballblazer Plasmorb
    • View Profile
« Reply #2441 on: July 03, 2010, 03:56:14 pm »
Well, if they wanted to be hermits, they could just branch off from the hub city, but if we end up making different towns we should keep them connected. And we could start off with everyone at the city until we're ready to make new towns.

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #2442 on: July 03, 2010, 04:10:12 pm »
Oh yes, roads would be a must! But I thinking making a single hub city is conducive to people getting mad at other people for really stupid reasons.

Maybe build a giant pyramid or a tower or something that we all stay in sight of or something. *shrug*

Offline Clarke

• Jungle Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2443 on: July 03, 2010, 04:33:26 pm »
So has anybody gotten their hands on thermite yet? I'm looking for it now, looks pretty useless but it'll be fun to play for it.

As for our community, obviously people will do as they will. I think it would be good to keep it fairly centralized, though. We could plan it out like a city, with a central "park" with a monument(probably the sink of our gold, it could be fun to see how high we could build a golden obelisk), and two by two roads  extending out of the corners and the center, with each member getting their own 7 x 7 grid, enough for a house the size of a starter hut and a small strip of land separating it from the road. People could choose to locate their main base somewhere outside the city, using their block to host a tiny hut containing a chest, furnace, and table(perhaps devoting the rest of the land to wheat fields). Others could locate their center of operations on their block, extending upward and downward if extra space is needed.

It might be good for us to organize a basic set of rules. For example, lets take someone who wants to devote most of their time to clearing land and farming. Obviously they have no access to ores, so instead they're allowed to take from a community store of iron. In turn, they contribute bread (and later, other food items) to another central store that miners and hunters can take of. That way, items like iron, bread, and even mob drops like feathers and string that seem useless to a person specializing in the activity that gathers those types of materials, but are difficult to obtain and often essential to a person who doesn't, can be redistributed throughout the community. This would allow people to focus on what activity they like to do best. Gold, which is useless beyond aesthetics, could be contributed to the community to focus on monuments like the aforementioned obelisk. Obsidian could be used to build stronger buildings, and a small store of safeguarded diamond pickaxes should be available to those whom wish to mine it. Obviously a system like this would allow some stealing, but because of the nature of the community items it shouldn't be much of a problem.

Offline Skyward

• Ballblazer Plasmorb
    • View Profile
« Reply #2444 on: July 03, 2010, 04:37:41 pm »
Oh yes, roads would be a must! But I thinking making a single hub city is conducive to people getting mad at other people for really stupid reasons.

Maybe build a giant pyramid or a tower or something that we all stay in sight of or something. *shrug*
That makes sense, perhaps a tall tower lined with torches with a room in the base where we could store materials that anyone could.

Have a surplus of wood? Put it in the tower so others could use it.