Poll

Hurp

Durp
Derp

Author Topic: Minecraft  (Read 679728 times)

Offline Lippy

• Galaga General
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
Re: Minecraft
« Reply #2400 on: June 30, 2010, 03:13:32 pm »
Apparently, infinite maps are large.
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NszGurDUlHc" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NszGurDUlHc</a>

Quote from: Notch
Testing what kind of terrain the level generator actually produces. This is a straight line fly-over of normal randomly generated terrain in Minecraft Alpha.

In the distant future, there will be more variation such as different terrain types (desert! swamp! snow!) and settlements (goblin village! abandoned stone tower! dragon lair!)

Offline Brandonazz

• Baseball SuperStar
  • Hoc etiam transibit
    • View Profile
    • My Internet Treasure Trove
« Reply #2401 on: June 30, 2010, 03:31:25 pm »

Online Gauphastus

• Ice Climber
  • Hey, man.
    • View Profile
    • Gauphastumblr
« Reply #2402 on: June 30, 2010, 05:06:45 pm »
I love them infinite maps.
I remember a thread on the forum after Notch had proposed the idea. It was almost split down the middle: half wanted infinite maps, the other half didn't.
We could have missed out on something cool because people are afraid of change. _

Anyway, here's another cool picture I found.
"Ma all the gods of furious strong be with you as you crunch opposents, and live like a windrammer as you f**k."
       ~Ricky Wangstrom

Offline Skyward

• Ballblazer Plasmorb
    • View Profile
« Reply #2403 on: June 30, 2010, 05:08:27 pm »
That's too beautiful for words.
Hell, Skyward Descent is pure win!
Quote from: Captain
I kill you in the name of DELICIOUS!

Online Gauphastus

• Ice Climber
  • Hey, man.
    • View Profile
    • Gauphastumblr
« Reply #2404 on: June 30, 2010, 05:23:52 pm »
Oh, yeah. On that video with the flying, Notch had this in the description.

Testing what kind of terrain the level generator actually produces. This is a straight line fly-over of normal randomly generated terrain in Minecraft Alpha.
In the distant future, there will be more variation such as different terrain types (desert! swamp! snow!) and settlements (goblin village! abandoned stone tower! dragon lair!)
"Ma all the gods of furious strong be with you as you crunch opposents, and live like a windrammer as you f**k."
       ~Ricky Wangstrom

Offline Lippy

• Galaga General
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2405 on: June 30, 2010, 05:47:31 pm »
Oh, yeah. On that video with the flying, Notch had this in the description.

Yup.  That's why I put it in the post after the video.   ;D

Offline Kitkat

• Ultima III Time Lord
  • Beep Boop.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2406 on: June 30, 2010, 05:58:36 pm »
So when SMP is released, is Gauphastus going to host the GS Server? I think I remember him saying that when he closed the server down I think...
Goddamnit kitkat, you make me look late
Come check out The Bino and The Ni'Calls
(Or don't these are old and embarrasing)

Online Gauphastus

• Ice Climber
  • Hey, man.
    • View Profile
    • Gauphastumblr
« Reply #2407 on: June 30, 2010, 06:51:27 pm »
Oh, nuts. Sorry, Lippy. Thought it was a signature down there so I kind of blew past it.

And yeah, I will volunteer my machine to host a server. Shouldn't have much trouble handling it, and my connection has been much more stable since I binned my previous router.
Poor old thing just couldn't take the fast life anymore.  :P
       ~Ricky Wangstrom

Offline Clarke

• Jungle Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2408 on: July 01, 2010, 08:15:06 am »
Offline client doesn't work offline for me, which sucks because I won't have internet for a few more days yet. After it finishes loading, it just shows a black screen. Attempting to use it with internet after this respawns me and deletes my inventory. >.>

On the topic of a GS server, I think it may be a good idea to start on an existing server with a large amount of people using it. That way we could form our own community, and have other communities to interact with. I think it may actually best if  Notch were to simply host a single server. With 8x the earth's surface there's plenty of room. :P

Offline Kaizer

• Mail Order Monster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2409 on: July 01, 2010, 09:18:17 am »
and then have masses of griefers destroy everything you worked for or invade your area and kick you out?

no thanks

Offline Rysworld

• Autoduel Mechanic
  • hhhhhhhh
    • View Profile
« Reply #2410 on: July 01, 2010, 09:43:41 am »
Use iCraft. It's the best hosting client I've seen so far, you can backup the levels at different intervals, and access all the backups you ever made.

Offline Kishmond

• Ultima III Time Lord
  • Alfalfa Mainframe
    • View Profile
    • I'll Eat Your Brains
« Reply #2411 on: July 01, 2010, 02:24:00 pm »
Griefing would probably be less of a problem when building takes 10+ times less time than destroying.
Yeah, [Kishmond] came back from Africa, but the ponies have him now.

Online Gauphastus

• Ice Climber
  • Hey, man.
    • View Profile
    • Gauphastumblr
« Reply #2412 on: July 01, 2010, 05:21:06 pm »
You know what a lot of the folks on the Minecraft forum are saying on that?

They're delusional. They say that there is no such thing as griefing in survival multiplayer. Dudes coming by, killing you, wrecking and stealing your stuff?
Oh, it's all part of the game of course. It's bad form if you ban them.

As for using someone else's server, I think it would make a lot of us more comfortable if we knew a member from here was hosting it. At least for a little while anyway, and maybe we could venture out later.
Maybe after awhile our server could become a hot spot for others to hang out anyway.
       ~Ricky Wangstrom

Offline Inkling

• S.T.U.N. Runner
  • Not a Squid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2413 on: July 01, 2010, 05:52:02 pm »
Yeah, I'd like to have a gamingsteve server.  Anyone who thinks griefers aren't going to be a problem forgot about buckets full of lava.
Probably not a Goat, either.

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #2414 on: July 01, 2010, 05:53:37 pm »
GS server! GS server!

My kingdom will be a kingdom.