Poll

Hurp

Durp
Derp

Author Topic: Minecraft  (Read 682100 times)

Offline Skyward

• Ballblazer Plasmorb
    • View Profile
Re: Minecraft
« Reply #2325 on: June 19, 2010, 06:00:03 pm »
Ugh this sucks.

I totally want to sink my time in making a huge castle, but Notch will be wiping infdev maps soon, and I don't want to just lose it in a what may be a few days. :-\
Hell, Skyward Descent is pure win!
Quote from: Captain
I kill you in the name of DELICIOUS!

Offline Gauphastus

• Ice Climber
  • Hey, man.
    • View Profile
    • Gauphastumblr
« Reply #2326 on: June 19, 2010, 06:42:39 pm »
There will probably be converters of some kind made by Minecraft forum dudes. All maps, even ones you delete, are apparently saved on your machine.
"Ma all the gods of furious strong be with you as you crunch opposents, and live like a windrammer as you f**k."
       ~Ricky Wangstrom

Offline Lippy

• Galaga General
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2327 on: June 19, 2010, 06:49:17 pm »
All maps, even ones you delete, are apparently saved on your machine.

I don't think that's true anymore.  I've recently watched the world directory disappear when I delete worlds.

But I do agree that someone will make a converter for any type of minecraft file, and probably even from other games as well.

Before the recent updates, I was able to work on one map, because updates were few and far between.  But now that he's constantly updating again, I tend to just play around with the new features in brand new maps.  I like to explore the caves, and explore the hugeness of the random worlds and finding neat land features.

Offline Gauphastus

• Ice Climber
  • Hey, man.
    • View Profile
    • Gauphastumblr
« Reply #2328 on: June 19, 2010, 10:14:54 pm »
So the guy finished his magma wall.

"Ma all the gods of furious strong be with you as you crunch opposents, and live like a windrammer as you f**k."
       ~Ricky Wangstrom

Offline Skyward

• Ballblazer Plasmorb
    • View Profile
« Reply #2329 on: June 20, 2010, 07:44:57 am »
Hell, Skyward Descent is pure win!
Quote from: Captain
I kill you in the name of DELICIOUS!

Offline Pixxel

• Robotron Automaton
    • View Profile
« Reply #2330 on: June 20, 2010, 09:36:55 am »
ssssss...
If you stop and think about it, Your life's longer as an old guy than a kid. Scary o.o

Offline Gauphastus

• Ice Climber
  • Hey, man.
    • View Profile
    • Gauphastumblr
« Reply #2331 on: June 20, 2010, 11:51:16 am »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hBmUO5YUPyI" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hBmUO5YUPyI</a>

Oh wow.
       ~Ricky Wangstrom

Offline Pixxel

• Robotron Automaton
    • View Profile
« Reply #2332 on: June 20, 2010, 04:26:47 pm »
And that's how rollercoasters were invented. Now we can experience it first-hand in minecraft :)
If you stop and think about it, Your life's longer as an old guy than a kid. Scary o.o

Offline Kishmond

• Ultima III Time Lord
  • Alfalfa Mainframe
    • View Profile
    • I'll Eat Your Brains
« Reply #2333 on: June 20, 2010, 06:07:10 pm »
You're going to need a lot of iron.
Yeah, [Kishmond] came back from Africa, but the ponies have him now.

Offline Lippy

• Galaga General
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2334 on: June 21, 2010, 05:43:02 am »

Yes and no.  6 iron will get you 16 tracks.  So, only 24 iron for every full stack of 64 tracks, and a full stack of iron will get you 160 tracks, with 4 iron left over, which would stretch quite a ways. Notch's rollercoaster is probably close to that.  And with some of my maps I've got stockpiles of full stacks of iron blocks (64x9 ingots) just sitting there, waiting for whatever Notch comes up with next. 

Scaffolding would be a nice new block to use to make the rollercoasters. 

Offline DarkDragon

• Final Fantasy Fanatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2335 on: June 21, 2010, 12:52:06 pm »

Yes and no.  6 iron will get you 16 tracks.  So, only 24 iron for every full stack of 64 tracks, and a full stack of iron will get you 160 tracks, with 4 iron left over, which would stretch quite a ways. Notch's rollercoaster is probably close to that.  And with some of my maps I've got stockpiles of full stacks of iron blocks (64x9 ingots) just sitting there, waiting for whatever Notch comes up with next. 

Scaffolding would be a nice new block to use to make the rollercoasters. 

I have yet to find iron...
DarkDragon's Minecraft Survival Server (use this as the IP):

gamingsteve.dyndns.org

- The server uses a whitelist, if you're not on the whitelist (can't connect), PM me your minecraft name.

Offline Cyst

• Space Harrier
  • V 3 $ T H 3 T I C /// 新鮮な盗まれたアート
    • View Profile
« Reply #2336 on: June 21, 2010, 12:59:11 pm »
I just dig straight through mountains until I find iron. It works half the time.
DEATH TO DAESH! In solidarity with Rojava!
-----------
Oh come now, Lurk.

The internet is a magical place, where linguistic and dialectic possibilities are endless. Why not embrace those variations and see where they lead you.

Offline Kishmond

• Ultima III Time Lord
  • Alfalfa Mainframe
    • View Profile
    • I'll Eat Your Brains
« Reply #2337 on: June 21, 2010, 01:01:37 pm »
Look through the extensive caves. That seems to be the easiest way.
Yeah, [Kishmond] came back from Africa, but the ponies have him now.

Offline Gauphastus

• Ice Climber
  • Hey, man.
    • View Profile
    • Gauphastumblr
« Reply #2338 on: June 21, 2010, 01:25:19 pm »
Quote from: Notch
Your saves are safe!

I just finished up the first pass of the new file format. It saves and loads terrain data lightning fast, using way, waaay less files than before (0.39%, to be precise).

Chunk saving is now done with absolute file position look-ups from larger zone files that are saved uncompressed. Uncompressed both for speed, and for less cpu usage.

The downside is that files are now much larger, depending on how much you explore. A newly generated level takes up 42 MB. It compresses nicely, though, down to 1.47 MB, if you want to share your levels.
I figure this is worth it, since hard drives generally are pretty huge these days. This really is a lot more efficient, and it only uses 10 files for a new level instead of over a thousand for the previous file format.

Speaking of those, Infdev will load old levels after the update, including mobs and chest contents! Your saves are safe. It will automatically save the level as the new file format, and it wonít modify the old files in any way in case anything goes wrong.

Tomorrow, Iíll work on the second and final pass of the level format rewrite; entity saving, then itís on to performance and stability updates for the rest of the week.

I aim to release a new infdev version on Friday. If that version works fine, Iíll replace indev with infdev and move on to working on something big.

Play on, gentlemen. All is well.

EDIT: Behold, my pit.
I'm not done yet. Still have a ways to go before I hit the bottom of the map.
This pit will serve as a hub for tunneling in every direction. I may very well base a fort on it, but we'll just have to see.

« Last Edit: June 21, 2010, 02:13:45 pm by Gauphastus »
       ~Ricky Wangstrom

Offline Lippy

• Galaga General
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2339 on: June 21, 2010, 03:19:53 pm »
You definitely need to build a winding mine-cart track around that pit.