Poll

Hurp

Durp
Derp

Author Topic: Minecraft  (Read 679986 times)

Offline Lippy

• Galaga General
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
Re: Minecraft
« Reply #2010 on: February 21, 2010, 09:59:28 pm »
I voted "do what you think is best."  I'm on the fence about it.  On the one hand it sounds like it would be great in the long run, but on the other hand, it sounds like more trouble than it's worth.   I would like him to focus on getting the game into the game first.  But this is, pun intended, a game changer and would change the way he approaches the game aspect of it.  
« Last Edit: February 22, 2010, 06:11:11 am by Lippy »

Offline Gauphastus

• Ice Climber
  • Hey, man.
    • View Profile
    • Gauphastumblr
« Reply #2011 on: February 22, 2010, 02:22:29 am »
http://www.minecraftforum.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=7723

Still pushing for that heavy respawn time.
And here I am still not "getting it".

Guess I shouldn't sweat this thing so much.  :P
"Ma all the gods of furious strong be with you as you crunch opposents, and live like a windrammer as you f**k."
       ~Ricky Wangstrom

Offline Pixxel

• Robotron Automaton
    • View Profile
« Reply #2012 on: February 22, 2010, 02:33:11 am »
I don't doubt that a compass item would become necessary for this.

To gather material just to know where north is seems like an annoying task, rather than something fun. Plus that would make it a priority item that you would have to have in your backpack constantly. If that was the case.

It's better to just put a compass on the corner of the screen. There's a point on how "realistic" a game should be, and I think that's it.
If you stop and think about it, Your life's longer as an old guy than a kid. Scary o.o

Offline Kidsoldier

• Star Castle Cadet
    • View Profile
    • The Art of Warfare (TAW)
« Reply #2013 on: February 22, 2010, 02:37:42 am »
Well, he could make it so that you could set a marker spot (not visible obviously) and then just have an arrow at the top of the screen pointing to it all the time, as to ensure you know the direction to travel to find your way home.
TAW is recruiting members now! Check it out at TAW.net

Offline Cobra

• All Your Base Zero Wing
  • People want ducks.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2014 on: February 22, 2010, 05:06:33 am »
As long as I would have to the option to still generate a fixed sized map should I want that as well then go for it.

Offline DarkDragon

• Final Fantasy Fanatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2015 on: February 22, 2010, 05:08:18 am »
My server changed address:
http://www.minecraft.net/play.jsp?server=cfff7ac96ce21cdf378209ac63a3eedc

My dynamic ISP isn't doing the job of keeping it static :(

Anyways, the server is on the multiplayer list over at the minecraft site so if the link doesn't work just look for "DarkDragon's Server - Paid Clients Only" on the list.

As long as I would have to the option to still generate a fixed sized map should I want that as well then go for it.

That's what I put in my comment to his question.
DarkDragon's Minecraft Survival Server (use this as the IP):

gamingsteve.dyndns.org

- The server uses a whitelist, if you're not on the whitelist (can't connect), PM me your minecraft name.

Offline Celdur

• R-Type Force Pod
  • :33
    • View Profile
« Reply #2016 on: February 22, 2010, 08:49:57 am »
^

What he said. Hell, I generate SMALL maps because I like the close, homey feel of My Island, My base, My work. Turning the small plot of land given to me into My home. I dunno, I voted do whatever because infinite is too much, but others want it and I don't want to say no for my own self interest, but, it'd get confusing and as Kidsoldier said, how would you not get lost? Drop a torch every 5 blocks?

you arnt forced to walk, and its easy to make landmarks, or just remember natural ones.

and if you have massive maps you could actualy claim land for your own, its not like there isnt enough space for that, otherwise you sort of have to share whats there.

Quote from: Krakow sam
That quote is actualy very witty, Celdur. I suggest you use that in your signature.

Offline Eagle

• Donkey Kong King
  • I AM SO FASHIONABLE
    • View Profile
« Reply #2017 on: February 22, 2010, 08:58:52 am »
I would DESPISE a 6 hours respawn timer. You guys need to remember there will be griefers just waiting to mess you up. I don't want to wait 6 hours every time an ******* decides to kill me.
I am bloody FASHIONABLE eagle!1!

Offline Gauphastus

• Ice Climber
  • Hey, man.
    • View Profile
    • Gauphastumblr
« Reply #2018 on: February 22, 2010, 09:45:43 am »
I'd actually appreciate it if he could make it so that the huge maps were faster, though I don't know how much more optimization we can squeeze out.

Eagle, neither does anyone else here if my info is correct. It's an odd suggestion, basically an extreme take on death penalty in the game.
Wonder if we could come up with something different, perhaps unusual, but not something that would wreck game flow or fun.
"Ma all the gods of furious strong be with you as you crunch opposents, and live like a windrammer as you f**k."
       ~Ricky Wangstrom

Offline Summoner

• BurgerTime Chef
  • I wont stab you... or will i?
    • View Profile
    • Summoners Deviant Art Page
« Reply #2019 on: February 22, 2010, 10:14:50 am »
6 Hours? NO big fat NO because what if you get killed by a bandit or you finally respawn and GET killed. Big NO to me i say. But if they made it maybe 15 mins time (full day or full night time) then ok.

Offline DarkDragon

• Final Fantasy Fanatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2020 on: February 22, 2010, 12:02:57 pm »
I'd actually appreciate it if he could make it so that the huge maps were faster, though I don't know how much more optimization we can squeeze out.

Eagle, neither does anyone else here if my info is correct. It's an odd suggestion, basically an extreme take on death penalty in the game.
Wonder if we could come up with something different, perhaps unusual, but not something that would wreck game flow or fun.

It could be much more optimized if he made the game in chunks of 128x128x128 and generate LODs for every new area (Levels of Detail) meaning as you move further appart the land becomes a picture (think of it as a 3d skybox) and it slowly loads the land as you approach it.

gamingsteve.dyndns.org

- The server uses a whitelist, if you're not on the whitelist (can't connect), PM me your minecraft name.

Offline DarkDragon

• Final Fantasy Fanatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2021 on: February 22, 2010, 01:30:45 pm »
The server will be fallout themed for the next 2 weeks, download the fallout tiles I made here and replace the minecraft.jar in your WoM client:

http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?yqjm2ii2mim

And here's how it looks right now with the paint over:

(that's just a bit of it)

GET TO BUILDING THE VAULTS YOU MAGGOTS

gamingsteve.dyndns.org

Offline Clarke

• Jungle Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2022 on: February 22, 2010, 01:44:07 pm »
Vehicles would be handy. Can you imagine traveling across a gigantic main continent on a train or by horse and carriage? Or a mine extending to the very depths of hell?

The possibilities, literally, are endless.

If Minecraft goes retail, that should soooo be the catchphrase.
I think he mentioned traines once. I imagine trains would be made of wood and stone, maybe some iron, and be fed by coal much like a furnace.

I'm for the map thing, even if it does take a bit more time. If notch manages to create an exchange between players, then a minecraft server could become almost as dynamic as the real world. If an area has a high population, the players could agree to set aside some members to guard the area, or a group of players could take control of the area by force. Large-scale irrigation and building projects would be possible, and a perimeter could be established to keep a specific town mob-free. While even the largest limited server, there still wouldn't be enough room to form more than one town, let alone empires and kingdoms.

Offline Snork

• Ensign Seventh Class
  • Do I care?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2023 on: February 22, 2010, 01:47:50 pm »
Fallout themed Minecraft? Now I know I have to play this.
Quote from: Orc Creation Story.
Stop rolling like pigs amongst the faeces and get out of the way of my sunlight, you stupid f***ers.
Jawless women and their fine, fine feet

Offline Celdur

• R-Type Force Pod
  • :33
    • View Profile
« Reply #2024 on: February 22, 2010, 02:22:04 pm »
thats more like a desert though >.>

i would use gravel etc. <.<

Quote from: Krakow sam
That quote is actualy very witty, Celdur. I suggest you use that in your signature.