Author Topic: Grain of Salt  (Read 20831 times)

Offline Hydromancerx

• Master of Orion
  • Klaatu Barada Nikto!
    • View Profile
    • Sagan 4
Re: Grain of Salt
« Reply #30 on: May 16, 2009, 06:12:00 pm »
I dont mind spore being cartoony.

I want to it to be complex! Like dwarf fortress level complex.

Or "Civ4: Rise of Mankind" complex.

Offline Yuu

• Civilization Emperor
  • = )
    • View Profile
    • KOSMOSIS CHRONICLES dA Page
« Reply #31 on: May 16, 2009, 06:27:31 pm »
Or Empire Earth complex.

Offline Bona Fide Supraman

• Star Raider
  • Not Super, Supra
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 18, 2009, 04:00:21 pm »
Personally......stages.

What's with all the mind scanning? Can't they just ask you?

With regards to Spore, one of the things that annoyed me most was that nothing else evolved with you, and that the environment of the planet had no effect. If they could make a program that enabled everything else to evolve, and actually gave you some variation throughout the creature stage, I think it would be much better.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2009, 04:03:29 pm by Bona Fide Supraman »
Statistically, 6 out of 7 dwarves are not happy.

Offline Snork

• Ensign Seventh Class
  • Do I care?
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 19, 2009, 09:15:17 am »
Personally, I think that to make Spore perfect, all we really need is a few decades of development and futuristic technology.  May sound ridiculous or sarcastic, but it would result in a perfect game.
Here's my perfect spore:
When the game begins, it scans your mind to see what art style you want.  Want hyper realistic?  It'll do that.  Want cartoony?  It'll do that.  Want white outlines on a black screen a la the Carl Sagan video?  It'll do that too.
Now, it scans your mind to see what type of narrator you want-what accent?  what gender? how old?  Want a machine replica of Morgan Freeman?  It'll do that.  It'll then scan your mind to see how you want life to start.  Starts randomly in hot vents on a planet?  Brought by comet?  Created by a god?  Starts in hot vents, but with the possibility left open that a god made it?  Whatever you want.  The narrator will narrate what's going on.  Now it zooms in to the cellular level.  You don't have a specific cell.  You can choose a cell and "destine" it to be the one that becomes intelligent eventually, simply by thinking so, but the game doesn't force anything.  The narrator narrates the evolution of the cells into creatures.  Anything you want can happen.  Some things will still seem new to you, as it takes the evolution of your creatures from the subconscous as well as the conscous, and specific events occurring to individual creatures are random.  It plays out like a Walking With style documentary.  It feeds off of your mind to figure out how to evolve everything next, when to make global disasters, etc.  Furthermore, alhtough it only shows one location at a time, it's processing the whole world.  You can go back later and watch documentaries on the rest of the world.  Furthermore, you can rewatch any documentaries created by playing.
When your creature evolves intelligence, it continues to take the activity of all tribes into your hands, but the documentary style changes from Walking With style to a whole branching tree of documentary styles.  If you want, you could even have it be presented in the style of one of those history channel documentaries where they're trying to figure out how an ancient civilzation lived.
When you become a civilization, the tree gets even more branches.  It could be a modern-marvels style documentary.  The only real "restriction" is that the events presented should be in chronological order-though the supposed dates at which they were made do not have to be.
When you get into space, the branches become enormous.  Depending on what you want and thus think, you could have a style where every planet has life, or a more realistic style where life is rare, or perhaps a style where intelligence is rare but life is not, or whatever rarity of life/intelligence you want.  The show style could be like Star Wars, or like Star Trek, or like a documentary still, or whatever you want. Incidentally, you haven't heard about sharing content.  Space is where content is shared.  Though your planet's ecosystem is entirely your creation, other planets that have life are copy-pasted from the ecosystems created by other players in the creature stages.
How the hell did this turn from Spore into a virtual reality simulation?
Oh, never-mind..
Quote from: Orc Creation Story.
Stop rolling like pigs amongst the faeces and get out of the way of my sunlight, you stupid f***ers.
Jawless women and their fine, fine feet

Offline Grangan

• Q*Bert Qrazy
  • We're all mad here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 19, 2009, 06:35:33 pm »
That's mean, Snork.
Also, BFS, the reason it has to be a mind scan is that having any sort of display where the player has to press buttons would interfere with the flow of the game.
Twas Brillig and the slithy toves did gyre and gimble in the wabe, all mimsy were the borogoves and the mome raths outgrabe.

Offline Skyward

• Ballblazer Plasmorb
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 19, 2009, 06:39:43 pm »
Mind-scanning is too far fetched.

Even if what you said could be done flawlessly I highly doubt it would ever be applied to video games...
Hell, Skyward Descent is pure win!
Quote from: Captain
I kill you in the name of DELICIOUS!

Offline Grangan

• Q*Bert Qrazy
  • We're all mad here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 19, 2009, 06:43:09 pm »
That's why it's a perfect game concept.  You're supposed to ignore any technological limitations and assume that by the time that anyone bothers to make the game we can do all of the stuff the game says we can do.  Sort of like with Pressure.
Also, you highly doubt it will EVER be applied to video games?  That's a rather pessimistic commentary on human progress.
Twas Brillig and the slithy toves did gyre and gimble in the wabe, all mimsy were the borogoves and the mome raths outgrabe.

Offline Skyward

• Ballblazer Plasmorb
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 19, 2009, 06:55:28 pm »
Well I would assume there is more important applications than for well...games...

Offline Grangan

• Q*Bert Qrazy
  • We're all mad here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 19, 2009, 07:00:08 pm »
You probably would have thought that in the 1960s if you'd seen the Source engine.

Offline Skyward

• Ballblazer Plasmorb
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 19, 2009, 07:09:43 pm »
Well seeing as the source engine is a game engine...  ::)

But if you can do mind scanning, which is not entirely related to games, there would be far more important uses.

Allow this picture to explain.

Offline Grangan

• Q*Bert Qrazy
  • We're all mad here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 19, 2009, 07:11:00 pm »
The source engine is a physics engine.  It could have been used for loads of other things involving computers.

Offline Skyward

• Ballblazer Plasmorb
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 19, 2009, 07:13:27 pm »
No its a game eninge. It uses a modified variant of the Havok 2 engine for its physics.

EDIT: Here's some info. As you can see it does more than physics.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2009, 07:17:08 pm by Skyward »

Offline Yuu

• Civilization Emperor
  • = )
    • View Profile
    • KOSMOSIS CHRONICLES dA Page
« Reply #42 on: May 20, 2009, 07:38:27 am »
Mind-scanning is too far fetched.

Even if what you said could be done flawlessly I highly doubt it would ever be applied to video games...

Then I guess using computers to operate toilets is also highly doubtful. As well as the internet being accessed by people not affiliated with military intelligence operatives.

Of course, when mind scanning is first discovered, it will be used for more important stuff. But as we can see from other technologies from the past, when a piece of technology becomes very common, someone somewhere is eventually gonna integrate it into other, less important things.

And for those who think mind scanning will never be developed: Stop it with your chauvinistically limited worldview. In the future, if humanity survives, they'll probably laugh at your shortsighted arrogance, thinking inter dimensional travel is bullcrap when people in their time do it just like how current day people book for a flight. Please. Don't limit yourselves to such medieval thinking. It's embarrassing to the next several hundred human generations.

Offline Inkling

• S.T.U.N. Runner
  • Not a Squid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 20, 2009, 11:12:25 am »
And for those who think mind scanning will never be developed: Stop it with your chauvinistically limited worldview.

But seriously, don't act so offended when people disagree with you over hypothetical future technology.  I don't know about the rest of you, but I would rather just play the game than have a computer create a fake documentary from my subconscious.
Probably not a Goat, either.

Offline Haseri

• Lode Runner
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 20, 2009, 11:22:48 am »
Although Yuu, your idea has given me an idea...

I just need a microphone and good video editing software.