Author Topic: Grain of Salt  (Read 21163 times)

Offline Skyward

• Ballblazer Plasmorb
    • View Profile
Re: Grain of Salt
« Reply #15 on: May 14, 2009, 02:06:26 pm »
Will, more then anyone, would have wanted Spore to be deeper.
Hell, Skyward Descent is pure win!
Quote from: Captain
I kill you in the name of DELICIOUS!

Offline darkwanderer

• Astrosmasher!
  • Step into the dark
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 14, 2009, 03:09:27 pm »
Then maybe you should remove the timer, wanderer.

The timers there for nostalgia, reminds me of how long ive been here.

Offline Bona Fide Supraman

• Star Raider
  • Not Super, Supra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 14, 2009, 04:22:35 pm »
Omg, I just had a quality idea.

We pretend it isn't out yet and go back to the glory days of the forum in 07/08.

We can question why it isn't out yet, what the hell they're doing with their time, or whether a splodge on a poor quality screenshot is one thing or another.

Saying that...I did bloody love it...
Statistically, 6 out of 7 dwarves are not happy.

gec05

« Reply #18 on: May 14, 2009, 11:06:28 pm »
The only thing I still like about Spore is the Creation Corner. And that has little to nothing of the Spore today. I still like to make stories. I like how endless the interactivity is and the stories people can make together. We could make a universe as deep and endearing as Star Wars or Star Trek. No game could ever emulate that. I doubt Spore 2 will ever come close.

In the same line Supraman, instead of going back, why not jump forward. Lets all hype on Spore 2, this time with a gun pointed at Maxis' head. :P
« Last Edit: May 14, 2009, 11:08:32 pm by Gec »

Offline Yuu

• Civilization Emperor
  • = )
    • View Profile
    • KOSMOSIS CHRONICLES dA Page
« Reply #19 on: May 15, 2009, 07:54:43 am »
In the same line Supraman, instead of going back, why not jump forward. Lets all hype on Spore 2, this time with an MPS AA12 pointed at Maxis' head. :P

Fixed it for ya, Gec.

Offline Hydromancerx

• Master of Orion
  • Klaatu Barada Nikto!
    • View Profile
    • Sagan 4
« Reply #20 on: May 16, 2009, 02:33:25 am »
In the same line Supraman, instead of going back, why not jump forward. Lets all hype on Spore 2, this time with a gun pointed at Maxis' head. :P

Ok so what would we want in Spore 2?

Offline Yuu

• Civilization Emperor
  • = )
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 16, 2009, 05:26:15 am »
Water creatures, and civilizations, are one of the first things they could probably put in it, among other things.

Offline Grangan

• Q*Bert Qrazy
  • We're all mad here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 16, 2009, 10:41:20 am »
Personally, I think that to make Spore perfect, all we really need is a few decades of development and futuristic technology.  May sound ridiculous or sarcastic, but it would result in a perfect game.
Here's my perfect spore:
When the game begins, it scans your mind to see what art style you want.  Want hyper realistic?  It'll do that.  Want cartoony?  It'll do that.  Want white outlines on a black screen a la the Carl Sagan video?  It'll do that too.
Now, it scans your mind to see what type of narrator you want-what accent?  what gender? how old?  Want a machine replica of Morgan Freeman?  It'll do that.  It'll then scan your mind to see how you want life to start.  Starts randomly in hot vents on a planet?  Brought by comet?  Created by a god?  Starts in hot vents, but with the possibility left open that a god made it?  Whatever you want.  The narrator will narrate what's going on.  Now it zooms in to the cellular level.  You don't have a specific cell.  You can choose a cell and "destine" it to be the one that becomes intelligent eventually, simply by thinking so, but the game doesn't force anything.  The narrator narrates the evolution of the cells into creatures.  Anything you want can happen.  Some things will still seem new to you, as it takes the evolution of your creatures from the subconscous as well as the conscous, and specific events occurring to individual creatures are random.  It plays out like a Walking With style documentary.  It feeds off of your mind to figure out how to evolve everything next, when to make global disasters, etc.  Furthermore, alhtough it only shows one location at a time, it's processing the whole world.  You can go back later and watch documentaries on the rest of the world.  Furthermore, you can rewatch any documentaries created by playing.
When your creature evolves intelligence, it continues to take the activity of all tribes into your hands, but the documentary style changes from Walking With style to a whole branching tree of documentary styles.  If you want, you could even have it be presented in the style of one of those history channel documentaries where they're trying to figure out how an ancient civilzation lived.
When you become a civilization, the tree gets even more branches.  It could be a modern-marvels style documentary.  The only real "restriction" is that the events presented should be in chronological order-though the supposed dates at which they were made do not have to be.
When you get into space, the branches become enormous.  Depending on what you want and thus think, you could have a style where every planet has life, or a more realistic style where life is rare, or perhaps a style where intelligence is rare but life is not, or whatever rarity of life/intelligence you want.  The show style could be like Star Wars, or like Star Trek, or like a documentary still, or whatever you want. Incidentally, you haven't heard about sharing content.  Space is where content is shared.  Though your planet's ecosystem is entirely your creation, other planets that have life are copy-pasted from the ecosystems created by other players in the creature stages.
Twas Brillig and the slithy toves did gyre and gimble in the wabe, all mimsy were the borogoves and the mome raths outgrabe.

Offline Yuu

• Civilization Emperor
  • = )
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 16, 2009, 10:51:49 am »
Reminds me a lot about Pressure, which is also an awesome concept. 8)

Offline Kitkat

• Ultima III Time Lord
  • Beep Boop.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 16, 2009, 10:58:59 am »
Lots of that could be achieved with sliders and/or checkboxes. I like that idea. And they should add procedurally generated character dialogue and names.
Goddamnit kitkat, you make me look late
Come check out The Bino and The Ni'Calls
(Or don't these are old and embarrasing)

Offline Uroboros

• Duck Hunter
  • Am I awake?
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 16, 2009, 12:58:49 pm »
Personally, I think that to make Spore perfect...
I think that to make Spore perfect, they need to get a second team on-board. Maxis has the technical know-how, but they really need a second team to flesh out the bones that Maxis lays, a group that have experience in more adventure oriented gaming.

Offline Skyward

• Ballblazer Plasmorb
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 16, 2009, 01:19:46 pm »
Also, in my opinion, it just needs to be more mature (and I don't mean ESRB mature).

I am not one that complained that Spore was too cartoony, but it just didn't seem serious enough.
Hell, Skyward Descent is pure win!
Quote from: Captain
I kill you in the name of DELICIOUS!

Offline madis

• Rigel Rescuer
  • The cousin of Tiberium.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 16, 2009, 01:22:20 pm »
I dont mind spore being cartoony.

I want to it to be complex! Like dwarf fortress level complex.

Click on the picture.
Tick, tick, tick the time goes by,
tick, tick, tick the clock blows up.

Offline Haseri

• Lode Runner
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 16, 2009, 01:57:34 pm »
Yeah, but it's also got to be accessable. Dwarf Fortress is a good game and all, but it'd never reach a wide audience. Losing might be fun to most people on the internet, because we're all sadists who don't have anything real to take our anger at ourselves out on, so we take joy in just how crazy and how far we can kill dwarves.

But to average Joe Bloggs out on the street? You give him Dwarf Fortress and he'll be throwing the computer against the wall in next to no time.

Offline Plank of Wood

• Final Fighter
  • Ka-Boom!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 16, 2009, 01:59:37 pm »
The reason why people didn't like Spore is because at the beggining of Developement people (and yes, I was one of those people) assumed that the Devs had promised Spore to be a simulation of Evolution and Civilisation right down to every little aspect, so in the year leading up to release where it was revealed to be "Just a Game" everyone moaned. People said it was disapointing. Theme Hospitial is possibly the most fun game ever released ever; if Bullfrog had promised at the beggining of developement that it was a "Unique simulator of the Running of a Hospital and a fun sandbox tool" it'd be on the same shelf as spore. Then again forums and the internet wern't around back then; but what the hell I'm just using that referance to remind everyone to play Theme Hospital again.
the real saviour of this forum