Author Topic: Grain of Salt  (Read 21129 times)

Offline Fumanchu

• Akalabeth Addict
    • View Profile
Grain of Salt
« on: May 13, 2009, 12:38:09 pm »
Hey there lurkers and fellow members who have followed Spore at least since 2006 (if not earlier for some).

Pre-Spore
Remember when this place was a'bustling with activity, even during the agonizingly long dry spells when the dev teams were more interested in missing deadlines than making any kind of updates to a (then) non-existent newsletter?

Remember the comraderie that took place amongst a great many posters / readers, where there were frequent threads back and forth and people eagerly answered each other's questions?

Remember the anticipation built up after scouring the net trying to find the latest tidbit about Spore and how awesome we all thought it was going to be?

Post-Spore
Remember that feeling, like in Terminator when the light in the machine goes dim? And how that was a great representation of how a lot of people felt after actually playing Spore?

Remember that giddy feeling you had when you put Spore into your computer, played for a few hours, then realized you were already starting to become an apologetic for all of its vast shortcomings?

Remember how embarrassing it was when you realized you had actually recommended this game to the people you knew that were older than 8?

--

Things have died off to an alarming degree. Because I'm a glutton for punishment (I know, QQ some more), I still visit this desolate place--that's almost deader than a doornail. Any news about any upcoming Spore expansion is now greatly tempered with slamming down hype (and for good reason).

Just wanted to say that it was nice back when, back before the POS that is Spore came out. I suppose the fact that the owner of this site (the one it's named after) not even showing up for years on end is a good indication that this site needs to go the way of the '05 Willosaur. Or maybe just me.

Offline Skyward

• Ballblazer Plasmorb
    • View Profile
Re: Grain of Salt
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2009, 12:47:12 pm »
1. some people actually still like Spore, even if it didn't live up to the expectations.
2. you are extremely late.
3. Why should we give a ****? seriously, you act like we value your opinion and patiently await the day you decide to lead us to the promised land.

I myself, followed Spore from 2005 and still thought Spore was good, not as good as hoped, but in no way bad. You think differently, you say? I am impressed, you must be the only man on the internet to have an opinion on something.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2009, 01:35:12 pm by Skyward »
Hell, Skyward Descent is pure win!
Quote from: Captain
I kill you in the name of DELICIOUS!

Offline Shadowgandor

• Scramble Skipper
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2009, 12:48:15 pm »
Uh, I might have read it wrong, but are you saying Steve should shut this forum down?
That's rubbish, I mean, I hardly visit this section of the forum anymore, but I DO however, visit this forum every single day. I like the community here and even though the forum might've been created for spore, doesn't mean it's useless now.
I'm probably going to slap myself in the face when I read this tomorrow, because of the horrible writing, but I hope I made it clear what I meant :P

Offline Skyward

• Ballblazer Plasmorb
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2009, 12:50:28 pm »
Not at all, you hit the nail on the head.  :P
The forum, for the most part is still active, of course we suffered a large blow from the exodus of Spore fanatics, but we still survived.

Offline Fumanchu

• Akalabeth Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2009, 01:55:31 pm »
Shadowgander, you made it clear, no need to slap yourself tomorrow. It's a valid point--I'm being egocentric and I forget that the other forums have ... steady ... posts / threads. Point taken.

Skyward, the promised land is thattaway. Way to miss the boat, pal.

Offline Spore-addict

• Kaboom Boomer!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2009, 01:56:09 pm »
the game to end all games.....

I am dreaming about this game.....

The last game ever.....

Rather funny if you go down and look in the big massive vault of INSANE hype.

Much of it is so stupid you laugh out loud.

We are all part of this. Nobody or few for that matter who got flamed badly if they said anything was the order of the day.

I just wonder what spore would have been if we saw an actual video in 2005 instead of that fake one....I doubt many would have dropped out before release.

We all wanted a realistic simulation and we got a fairytale simple game.

The biggest accomplishment is the creature creator....GREAT work. if they only could make it to use with a 3d program so spore does not end up forgotten.
Master Raytracer Spore-addict = KarmaCowboy

See you out there, feel free to comment my creatures.

Offline Snork

• Ensign Seventh Class
  • Do I care?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2009, 02:23:41 pm »
I've seen the way Fumanchu.
I've moved on to other better games, ones that deserve all the hype it gets. Morrowind for example.
But I won't leave this site until the end my friend. So what if Spore turned out to be less-than stellar/crap?
I'm sticking to this site till the end.
Yeah, Shadow gander beat me to it, but that's just my opinion.
Quote from: Orc Creation Story.
Stop rolling like pigs amongst the faeces and get out of the way of my sunlight, you stupid f***ers.
Jawless women and their fine, fine feet

Offline Hydromancerx

• Master of Orion
  • Klaatu Barada Nikto!
    • View Profile
    • Sagan 4
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2009, 04:25:16 pm »
@Fumanchu

I understand how you feel and have felt the same way about a lot of things about spore. The Pre-Spore ideals are what made this forum great. I especially loved the early Spore-Fan fiction. Howver I don't think its coming back to that golden age of Pre-Spore. Who knew that we would be longing for those days when all the time we were waiting we wished Spore was out. I feel in projects liked Sagan 4 we have captured some of the essence of pre-spore.

I also think that as time went along other spore fan sites and eventually the Offical Spore forum has taken away some of the people that would come here. Also some just don't play the game anymore. I hope the 1st expansion will bring some fun back to the community. But really no matter how much they try to improve the game it still is dwarfed by our own imagination and creativity. If anyone doubts this just look at all the older posts from the pre-spore era.

Perhaps in the future they will make a Spore 2 and it will be what we imagined. But for now we have what we have.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2009, 04:27:55 pm by Hydromancerx »

Offline Skyward

• Ballblazer Plasmorb
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2009, 04:43:01 pm »
Skyward, the promised land is thattaway. Way to miss the boat, pal.
Technically, missing the boat would be a good thing.
We all saw what happened last time some one took us the the promised land (Spore).

In fact...that is the point of this thread?

Offline IamMe

• Gorf Goon
  • +200 Points!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2009, 06:04:42 pm »
We all saw what happened last time some one took us the the promised land (Spore).

It wasn't a very good promise. :P

Offline Axelgear

• Fooblitzky Fooble
    • View Profile
    • Axel's Playground
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2009, 06:05:59 am »
I agree with all that's been said here. Spore was still amazing for me but... I kind of wanted it to be a more mature game. One where your carnivore ripped chunks of meat out of their prey that dripped with blood as they ate them; where sea creatures were still possible in 3D, even if you couldn't go onto land with them; where tribal and civilization were deep and complex parts of the game that had big, lasting impacts after.

Spore isn't bad. It's what we wanted it to be, at its core, but all the extraneous stuff (That is, the fun on top of fun) has been sheered away with a knife.

The time before Spore was when all these things still existed, at least in our minds. Predators could still be bloodthirsty, oceans were still inhabitable, tribes and civilizations were deep, and if you wanted your creature to have backwards feet, it's not like you had to rewrite a part of your mind to have it.

I'm inspired, momentarily, to return to my roots and draw pictures for the Creation Corner. Like a bottle of wine, I've improved with time, so perhaps this might yield something fun.

Edit: Only this time, looking back, I'll avoid the constant one-up-manship I had going in the RP threads. *Shudder* Was I really that intolerable? My goodness...
« Last Edit: May 14, 2009, 06:15:40 am by Axelgear »
Axel's Playground - Come see what I'm playing with today.

Offline Fumanchu

• Akalabeth Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2009, 07:49:45 am »
We all saw what happened last time some one took us [to] the promised land (Spore).
Truer words were never spoken.

Yesterday someone (not you) pissed in my wheaties, so I was feeling a bit provocative and wanted to rile at least someone up with this post.

Great replies from everyone. I also forgot that people would do the RP stuff in the Creation Corner, which I rarely looked at. I guess I wanted to create my stories when Spore came out.

As Lippy has said, the evidence was plain to see as newer videos came trickling out over the years, but it just boggled my mind that a team like Maxis / EA could put out something like Spore (dev time=5 years?) while MediaMolecule could put out something like LBG (dev time=2 years?) which looked & felt honestly more polished. Or even Mario Galaxy with its many different spheroid worlds with crazy contraptions, jumping between planets, etc. I suppose I just didn't want to believe what I was seeing.

Also, I agree, no need to shut down this site (again, me just being pissy). I still come here pretty much every weekday just to see what's going on.

Offline darkwanderer

• Astrosmasher!
  • Step into the dark
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2009, 12:18:20 pm »
Yes, spore was a letdown.

High time we all started to move on i think.

Offline Inkling

• S.T.U.N. Runner
  • Not a Squid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2009, 12:21:46 pm »
Then maybe you should remove the timer, wanderer.
Probably not a Goat, either.

Offline Spore-addict

• Kaboom Boomer!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2009, 01:35:36 pm »
I do not think we will know how much of spore was actually something will wright wanted to release.

I think or hope should I say that he had different ideas for spore but EA made the game as it is.

He cant obvious not speak of anything of this since it would likely violate agreements etc
Master Raytracer Spore-addict = KarmaCowboy

See you out there, feel free to comment my creatures.