Author Topic: Coraline  (Read 3951 times)

Offline Lord Janos

• Wizardry Whiz
    • View Profile
Coraline
« on: May 10, 2009, 06:12:42 am »
Saw this movie yesterday, really enjoyed it.  It's very dark and Dakota Fanning was very good in it.  The characters are really well caricatured... see Coraline's parents (especially the father) and the crazy circus bloke!

Probably a bit lacking in narrative depth and some characters are pretty pointless (French & Saunders' ones and the random boy) but the main ones are really imposing and drag you right into a crazy, sinister story.

I think that this will be appreciated more by adults than kids... so I'd suggest people go see it because it's rare that I like a modern movie, which is kudos enough in my opinion!

SEE CORALINE!

Offline Saganmaineiac

• Star Castle Cadet
  • I'm a Rocketman! Burning out my fumes out here!
    • View Profile
Re: Coraline
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2009, 12:03:10 pm »
I did! :D And my evil twin sister got very creeped out by it too!
"Always look on the bright side of life!" *whistles*

You must be REALLY fun at parties.

Offline Magenti

• Zork Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2009, 06:05:55 am »
Was just going to post about this and here you went and did it a month ago!

Very good movie, gives you an eerie feeling when watching it though.

10/10
I love you Magenti, you are my hero!!
Kenobros confession!
Quote from: Kenobro on October 06, 2009, 01:41:48 PM
I suppose it's funny that you posted after me, because you are also female.  How coincidental.

Offline huggkruka

• Space Ace
  • Totally powers
    • View Profile
    • My Digitalart.org profile
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2009, 09:12:26 am »
Best part was the terriers in their various guises.  :) I still can't believe how detailed it was, and how many hours must have gone into making it. The face work was great as well, very lifelike! Even diehard haters must admit it was technically stunning!

Offline Lippy

• Galaga General
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2009, 04:57:21 pm »
It was very derivative of Alice in Wonderland.  It's wasn't great, but worth the price of a matinee.  It was really good for being stop-motion animated though.  Definitely a few very shocking moments where you look over at the parents to see them turn white as ghosts and then watch their kids as they don't know if they should laugh or not in front of their parents. 

Offline Putspooza

• Mr. Do! Disciple
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2009, 09:27:58 am »
so I just saw it, I'd rate it as a great movie, with potential for awesome, depending on who watches it, I bet it could scare the hell out of someone depending on what's their personal nightmare fuel, but for me, it was just usually "this is so creepy" instead of "this is so scary".

some of the ghosts' lines seemed kind of odd to me, but in general they were okay, I was also surprised by the lack of the gore I've been so used to by films of today (that sounds way too old for someone my age to say), I was just waiting for that shot when you see someone get a needle right through their eyes, immediately followed by the blood, screaming and sewing of buttons into said eyes. Coraline was also relatively calm about the whole "walk through a tunnel in your bedroom to reach a parallel universe of sorts" thing until she found out the whole "I'm actually a robo-spider-monster and I'm going to eat your soul" thing.

Offline Kishmond

• Ultima III Time Lord
  • Alfalfa Mainframe
    • View Profile
    • I'll Eat Your Brains
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2009, 06:28:27 pm »
I kind of ignored this movie for a long time, but it turned out to be great! The soundtrack was cool too. There were quite a few perfect scenes, which is hard to do with moving pictures.
Yeah, [Kishmond] came back from Africa, but the ponies have him now.

Offline Magenti

• Zork Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2009, 10:14:56 am »
I kind of ignored this movie for a long time, but it turned out to be great! The soundtrack was cool too. There were quite a few perfect scenes, which is hard to do with moving pictures.

You mean MOVIES?

lol
I love you Magenti, you are my hero!!
Kenobros confession!
Quote from: Kenobro on October 06, 2009, 01:41:48 PM
I suppose it's funny that you posted after me, because you are also female.  How coincidental.

Offline Kenobro

• Space Harrier
  • I am not a robot!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2009, 02:12:53 pm »
No, the movie is stop motion, do the research before making a post that pointless.

Quote from: Grazony
Thanks Kenobro. :)

Offline Kishmond

• Ultima III Time Lord
  • Alfalfa Mainframe
    • View Profile
    • I'll Eat Your Brains
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2009, 07:29:37 pm »
I use my special adjective 'perfect' to describe a picture. A movie is many pictures strung together.

Offline Pixxel

• Robotron Automaton
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2009, 03:25:39 am »
Interesting movie, might just give it a watch. ^^
If you stop and think about it, Your life's longer as an old guy than a kid. Scary o.o

Offline Kishmond

• Ultima III Time Lord
  • Alfalfa Mainframe
    • View Profile
    • I'll Eat Your Brains
« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2009, 06:25:46 pm »
By the way, Freud would have a lot of interesting things to say about this movie.

Offline Snork

• Ensign Seventh Class
  • Do I care?
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2009, 06:26:57 pm »
That settles it. I'm watching this ASAP!
Quote from: Orc Creation Story.
Stop rolling like pigs amongst the faeces and get out of the way of my sunlight, you stupid f***ers.
Jawless women and their fine, fine feet

Offline Axelgear

• Fooblitzky Fooble
    • View Profile
    • Axel's Playground
Coraline
« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2010, 02:53:33 pm »
So I finally got to see this yesterday, and, I must say, it was a fantastic movie. Really well made, but what do you expect when you get the director of Nightmare Before Christmas and James and the Giant Peach working on it? Beautifully disturbing stuff.

http://axelsplayground.squarespace.com/journal/2010/8/9/review-coraline.html - Full review here.
Axel's Playground - Come see what I'm playing with today.