Author Topic: So what is college like?  (Read 13442 times)

Offline Mr. Wizard

• Karate Champ
    • View Profile
Re: So what is college like?
« Reply #45 on: May 25, 2013, 07:41:41 am »
Yeah man, Look at the Burakumin.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Burakumin

My favorite link to give to weeaboos :Y

That or the Ainu people.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ainu_people

Those people are so beaten and down trodden, they actively tell their children to wed non-Ainu so their progeny can stop being marginalized. That is the kind of self loathing the west WISHES it could instill into its oppressed minorities.

Offline Haseri

• Lode Runner
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 25, 2013, 02:45:47 pm »
So, last week I got my final offer for uni. All but one unconditional (and the condition is sending them 'original academic qualifications'). I've got until the 27th of June and a bunch of Open Days to decide.

I've been telling everyone that would listen and this seems like the place to tell you guys.

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #47 on: May 25, 2013, 02:52:22 pm »
Is that like sending in your transcripts?

Offline Haseri

• Lode Runner
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 26, 2013, 01:33:45 am »
I think it's more like sending them my certificates of my GCSEs, A-Levels. You'd think I'd be able to scan them and send them digitally, which is what one of them wanted.

The best part? None of them asked for a portfolio, despite actually having one this time around. And all but one cared that I forgot to my GCSEs in my application (even then they just asked for them)...

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 26, 2013, 04:05:19 am »
I think it's more like sending them my certificates of my GCSEs, A-Levels.

Those are what transcripts are.  ;)

Where have you applied?
Sam is basically right, he's just cranky.

Offline Plank of Wood

• Final Fighter
  • Ka-Boom!
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: May 26, 2013, 07:56:06 am »
I need an AAB to get into Nottingham. My exams are in a week.

CRAM TIME!
the real saviour of this forum

Offline Haseri

• Lode Runner
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 27, 2013, 01:59:56 am »
Where have you applied?

Bath Spa, Creative Writing (My friend went there for a different degree. She said it was beautiful, but because I live so close, I won't get into halls.)
Falmouth, Creative Writing (Where another friend did Creative Writing and English Literature. A nice little seaside town, but a bit too 'old world' according to another friend of mine.)
Bournemouth, Scriptwriting for Film and Television (This is the only place I've been before, from the last time I applied. This course works with the Media Production Course, which I think is exciting. It's where my younger brother (who didn't need to take 3 gap years to figure his life out) is, but it's a different building.)
York St. John, Creative Writing and Media (My Falmouth friend did her masters in York, but this is slightly different. Again, another beautiful place, I'm told. Plus, I was advised by another friend to go as far away as possible - he went to Belfast.)

The first three all have open days this month, so I can get a proper look at them before. York doesn't, but they have campus tours on Wednesdays. I just have to figure out how to get up there.

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 27, 2013, 03:04:45 am »
As someone who did most of a degree in an old fashioned seaside town I'd suggest you go to Bath or York  :P

Also don't think there's anything bad about taking three gap years. I know at the moment it seems like you've really held yourself back and everyone else has a head start over you, but really, it doesn't matter at all. I went straight to university from school, spent four years there, didn't get a degree and then dropped out. I'm going to a completely different university later this year and I already know I'm going to kick the asses of all the stupid teenagers that are straight out of school :Y
Sam is basically right, he's just cranky.

Offline Haseri

• Lode Runner
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 27, 2013, 09:13:54 am »
It felt like that once upon a time, but, if anything, I've got a head start for when it's all over. In those three years (2 years ago today was my first performance at the Bristol Old Vic), I've built up something I can come back to. Even today, my theatre company are working out a monthly performance night at Bristol's most bohemian pub/cafe. Saturday, I was running around a festival, singing 90s love ballads and enticing people into a caravan to give their loved ones an improvised song (we even got a proposal), which the director responsible wants to take to other festivals.

Basically, I'll be joining you in kicking ass.