Author Topic: Phlogiston: A Steampunk Adventure RP  (Read 61141 times)

Offline Neoadept

• Fooblitzky Fooble
  • Has a nice hat
    • View Profile
Re: Phlogiston: A Steampunk Adventure RP
« Reply #45 on: May 03, 2009, 05:52:29 pm »
"Cicada, come, sit, have a drink," Isaac said as soon as the door had opened without turning from the window.  Below him, the grounds of his personal dome stretched away, green and growing.  Occasionally a discreet worker could be seen moving among the trees and hedges in the endless chore of maintaining the gardens.  He'd worked hard to make enough to own those grounds, so he was damn well going to have them.  Some people, like Lucinda, didn't see things his way.  Somehow, they believed that glory and riches could come without the requisite work.  But that was fine, because they were only giving away their own profit.

It was the others that he'd brought Cicada to deal with.  The ones who thought that his wealth should be taken by force.  There had always been the mosquitoes who tapped in and stole a little at a time, and they had been dealt with.  But there were those who persisted, who rallied the slackers and the idealists against him and were always a few steps ahead of his men.  Time had come that the game of cat and mouse ended.
Nefarious?  Nearly.  Ne’er-do-well?  Never!  Neither nearly names this narrator.  Naive and knowledgeable, notorious and inscrutable, this nascent Nero is known naturally as Neoadept.

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 03, 2009, 05:57:02 pm »
"Much obliged" growled Cicada, helping himself to a measure of stiff refreshment from Isaac's liquor cabinet. He knew where it was, he had been here enough times. Despite being offered a seat, he remained standing while he waited for Isaac to speak.
Sam is basically right, he's just cranky.

Offline Neoadept

• Fooblitzky Fooble
  • Has a nice hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 03, 2009, 06:34:11 pm »
"I'm sure you're aware of the recent drought?"  Isaac asked as he took his own seat.  "And, as close to the vest as I try to play these things, I'm sure you know that it's due to someone draining a cistern in a few hours with wide scale, simultaneous taps.  Our old friend Sir Horace Mockett is at work again, and I can't afford to let him get away this time.  That's why I come to you.  You're the best.  All that I ask is that he be taken alive, I'd like one last little chat with him before he goes."
Nefarious?  Nearly.  Ne’er-do-well?  Never!  Neither nearly names this narrator.  Naive and knowledgeable, notorious and inscrutable, this nascent Nero is known naturally as Neoadept.

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 03, 2009, 06:39:08 pm »
"Alive will cost you a little more" said Cicada, after a moment of contemplation. "Killing's cheap in these parts".

Offline Neoadept

• Fooblitzky Fooble
  • Has a nice hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 03, 2009, 06:50:59 pm »
"I'm well aware.  Feel free to remove any cohorts as you see fit, though," he added.  "All I need is the leader."

Offline Zolinn

• Zork Emperor
  • In Soviet Russia, Mario Plays You!
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: May 03, 2009, 07:34:00 pm »
Meanwhile

Shouting is heard from the inside of a town house. After several loud thumps and shatters echoing through the windows, a door opens wide and a young girl emerges from the house. "Alright! Alright! I'll go get a job!" Eliza slams the door and adjusts her pants. She plops her revolver into her pocket and puts a strap over it, preventing it from falling out. She puts her knife on the opposite side and secures it inside her pocket as well. She picks up a newspaper near her mailbox and begins to walk down the city street.

The town is echoing with rumors of the fight that occurred in the bar. Eliza, still browsing the newspaper for any interesting information, remains completely oblivious to the rumors floating around her. "Ah hah!" Eliza exclaims out loud as she takes a seat on a bench.

After quickly reading through the newspaper for any interesting job offerings, Eliza becomes impatient and slams the newspaper down on the bench. "Mechanic, mechanic, mechanic. Does anyone need workers that AREN'T mechanics?" She folds up the newspaper and places it on the end of the bench. As she begins to get up a man on a large horse trots by her.

"We could always use more people on the security force young lady." The man smiles down from his horse.

Eliza flashes a fake smile at the man and continues to walk in another direction. "Thanks for the offer, but I'll have to pass."

The man continues after her, attempting to persuade her. "The job has decent benefits, satisfactory pay, and when the day is done..." He pauses and smiles to himself. "You'll feel like you made a difference."

Eliza grins and stops. She looks at the man and looks down quickly. "Sir, sorry to burst your bubble but I already have meaning in my life. I don't need a piss poor job to fill the meaning in my life. Actually, I don't see how you can be satisfied with this job. Half of the citizens don't like you and you're doing someone elses work because they don't want to get dirty..."

Just as the guard begins to fume, another guard comes beside him. "John, just ignore her... we've got more important problems."

The guard straightens his posture and his face. He starts his horse to a walk and looks back at Eliza. "Why don't you come and see how fulfilling this job can really be."

Eliza rolls her eyes and follows the guard.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2009, 11:45:20 am by Zolinn »

Offline Josasa

• Commando Soldier
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 03, 2009, 09:03:04 pm »
Saburo's head was still spinning slightly when the finally made their way out of the holdup. While he was relieved at escaping relatively unscathed, something deep inside him was still excited at the fact that this had been the most action he had experienced in a long time. That and the alcohol was slightly affecting his judgment.

"I think we should head back into the mix up," Saburo said, a slight smile creeping across his features. "But I have no idea how we'd be able to help out. I don't have any kind of weapon except for my fists. And they didn't do much good in that situation."

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #52 on: May 03, 2009, 09:06:52 pm »
"Alright... how about I go for the guy with the gun and you go for his partner?" Aaron suggested "That seems fair enough. Why don't you lead the way?"

Offline Little

• Crystal Castle Gem Eater
  • I'm a drunk...
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 03, 2009, 11:33:25 pm »
Horace promptly ditches down the street, running as fast as he can while drawing his revolver. After rounding a few corners and glancing around nervously, he checks his surroundings. It would be a while before he reached his newest temporary home, but no time like the present to reflect. He was proud of what he had done, establishing an underground revolutionary group that had devastated the water supply. He was sadly aware of the suffering this had caused the inhabitants of this place, but it had to be done to teach the corporations a lesson. Horace couldn't stand the thought of the grave injustices the companies had wrought, crushing freedom like an insect beneath a hard boot. He almost quivered in rage, but then calmed himself. He had many good times to think over, many good friends in the city, and the knowledge he had actually damaged his oppressors.

He fondly remembered the ball masque break-in, the art gallery vandalism, the countless riots and protests plotted in the dank basements of smoky taverns. As he was fondly storing the memory of the riot where a bullet had bounced off his brass goggles as they laid on his forehead. He looked up and saw he was finally at his house, an abandoned library. He walked to the battered wooden door and merely popped it from it's frame with a light shove, then rammed it back into it's frame once he was on the other side. The wood floor was slowly rotting in the main room, the shelves stacked off to one side. There were two doors on the far side of the room, and Horace promptly went to the one on the right. Opening the door on the right revealed a small but comfy room, with a desk off to one side, a small bed off to the other, and a bookshelf in-between. A small trunk was laying at the foot of the bed, the trunk containing all of Horace's worldly possessions. Horace flicks a switch to the side of the door, and a gas light flicks on after a brief whirring. Horace looks down to the floor, the floor now being clean solid wood. On the floor is a manila envelope, unmarked. Horace picks it up quickly, and draws a knife from underneath the rags, rapidly slitting open the envelope. As he walks to his desk, he quickly takes the message from the packaging. As he sits down he begins to read:

'Horace, we tapped two weeks ago. It's good to be doing big things on such a large scale again. We haven't been this active since the Masque Break-In. Rest of us are happy your back in action.

BG
'

Horace smiles, carefully folding the letter and goes to his bed. He promptly undresses down to his skivvies, then hops under the covers and falls asleep.

___

"Nathaniel, be careful!"

It was late, and getting later. Nathaniel was smiling in the darkness, resting his small body against the warped door. His little band of street children had heard rumors the man in this place had a balloon, and he figured that while surviving the latest drought he would give his adopted brothers and sisters some fun. What kid wouldn't enjoy a balloon ride? Nathaniel braces against the door and shoves. The door pops inward with surprising ease, the door slamming to the ground with a massive thud. Nathaniel's eyes grow wide, and the hushed whispers from his little group of thirsty orphans hush immediately. After a few moments of dreadful tension, Nathaniel picks himself up and whispers, "Coast is clear."

The little gathering of children quietly step in, and Nathaniel tiptoes across the rotting floor to a dim outline of a door on the left side of the room. He quietly twists the knob and the door slides open, revealing the wonder within.

The balloon was the color of bronze, with a stylized BG on the balloon. A small flame was running beneath the balloon, keeping it lightly inflated. It was tied down to the ground by a tattered rope, and Nathaniel could easily see how he could get in and ride. He would have no clue how to pilot the thing, but improvisation was a talent of his. The kids rushed in while excitedly whispering, and soon the fun began. The room was a workshop scattered with parts necessary for maintaining the lighter on the balloon, and there was a large hole in the roof, presumably where the balloon flew out.

The kids had been climbing around the workshop and the balloon for five minutes when a small orphan named David Ferr trips against the rope, dislodging it from the pin holding it down. Frightened, the street children scramble away from the balloon, the ones in it jumping out before they can be carried through the hole in the roof. Nathaniel rushes forward from his spot on the wall, but he shakes his head as he realizes he is too late. The balloon was gone.

As the night turned to early morning, the balloon pleasantly flew above the busy streets while delighting many who were out for a very early morning stroll, the balloon not having enough hot air in it to go higher. It was slowly sinking, ending the journey by being snagged on a pole from which a long forgotten flag was fluttering. The balloon promptly tumbled to the ground, a hole tarnishing the unblemished side. It lay in the street, waiting for discovery...
« Last Edit: May 07, 2009, 08:30:12 pm by Little »
The best person ever.  She should have won the Peace Prize.

What? No full control over children? You do realize that some of us have particular plans for those children.

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #54 on: May 05, 2009, 05:24:35 pm »
Aaron waited for a few moments but it seemed that his new associate was not much of a leader. Somewhat funny, he thought, considering that the man appeared to be a priest or something similar.

"Right, well then why don't you go around the front and wait for my signal. I'll try to get a shot off at them from above and get their attention." Aaron said "From there you get in as quick as possible and mash up some faces. Alright? Let's do it!"

Leaving Saburo behind, Aaron dashed over to the block of buildings adjacent to the hostage situation and scaled a ladder that led to the roof.Aaron had to be careful in order to navigate the rooftop successfully; large funnels were belching out thick black smoke and searing hot steam every step of the way. Up ahead was a large painted billboard with the cobalt blue logo of the People's Power Company. They had been put up all over the city nearly six months earlier and were advertising a "revolutionary new direction in steam technology" that was to be unveiled (conveniently enough) later that day. A long banner hung underneath the billboard reminding passersby that the event was rapidly approaching.

Aaron hastily tore the banner down and wrapped the ends around his arms. Throwing caution to the wind, he ran toward the end of the roof, past a group of police officers, and jumped into the air. The banner didn't seem to work as well as he'd hoped and he fell fairly quickly, landing hard just behind the gunman and rolling into him.

Offline Zolinn

• Zork Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 05, 2009, 08:15:09 pm »
After weaving through a panicking crowd of people, Eliza and the guards step through the alleyway where Sabuto stands. Eliza runs past the guards and observes the scene. The alleyway looked like a small tornado went through. Small splotches of blood were scattered along the ground of the alleyway. Eliza stops in front of Sabuto and stares at him for a moment. "What happened here?" She follows his eyes up to the rooftops and notices Aaron on the roof. Eliza darts past Sabuto as the guards yell at her. "Hey! Wait up!"

As the guards run after her, Eliza makes her way to a pulley system. Eliza runs up to the pulley system and cuts the weight off of one side with her knife, holding onto the rope while doing so. The rope quickly drags her into the sky as she holds onto the rope for her life. Several seconds later, she comes to the top of the pulley, swings the rope back and forth, and flings herself onto the roof rolling as she lands.

As she begins to run to the edge of the roof, she puts her knife back in her pocket and pulls out her revolver. She turns off the safety and aims at the duo on the ground under her. She moves her gun back and forth between the people and thinks to herself "Who do I shoot?"

She looks at Aaron, who looks unarmed from her distance, and then looks at the gunner, who looks heavily armed. She smiles and says "Bingo" to herself. She levels her gun. "I never miss my shot. Of all the times to not miss a shot, now is the time." She fires her revolver and the bullet flies towards the gunner.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2009, 10:52:27 am by Zolinn »

Offline Josasa

• Commando Soldier
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: May 06, 2009, 05:45:49 pm »
Saburo had been thinking about how to best approach the situation before his companion took off.

"Alrighty, then!" he yelled as Aaron took off for the roofs. So Saburo made his way back towards the police line, breaking through the forming crowd as the hostage situation continued on as before. He was waiting for the telltale signal. When a shot finally did ring out he looked up in surprise.

"I didn't know he had a gun," he mumbled to himself as he pushed his way into the ensuing chaos. He made his way directly to the head honcho, lowering his head as he readied himself for a tackle.

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: May 07, 2009, 07:23:55 pm »
The gunner on the semaphore pole took the bullet in his gut and fell back in surprise, mustering just enough composure to scream a split second before he hit the cobbles like a bag of gelatin among the gendarmes, who reeled in shock. Several were violently ill.
Distracted by the gunshot, the man in the blue waistcoat wasn't ready for the tackle and whirled round, firing his revolver wildly before crashing face first to the ground. His accomplice fared no better and was knocked down, groaning.

There was a moment of silence and then a smattering of applause from onlookers as the kidnappers were dragged away and the hostage was unbound.

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #58 on: May 07, 2009, 08:50:30 pm »
"I thought you were going to use your fists!?" Aaron yelped after the gunfire had subsided "Oh well... guess we won!"

Chuckling a bit, Aaron reached down and picked up his wallet.

Offline Zolinn

• Zork Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: May 07, 2009, 09:05:31 pm »
Eliza smiles after the bullet makes contact and blows smoke off the tip of the gun. She puts the gun back in her pocket and slides down the side of the building.

Once landing, she takes to the shadows of the building. She slowly moves in on Aaron and takes out her knife... just in case. After getting as close as possible to Aaron, attempting to stay hidden, she sits and waits for any information he reveals.