Author Topic: Ethics and Morals  (Read 3540 times)

Offline Veraal

• Zelda Zealot
    • View Profile
Ethics and Morals
« on: April 29, 2009, 02:58:08 pm »
For some reason the internet has turned me into a very cynical, unethical and bitter bastard, and I was wondering if it may be because I've come to realise that ethics, morals and such things formed by society are in fact pointless.

I guess it is a very nihilistic way of viewing it, but I just can't seem to care for other people's feelings, if I see someone get hurt badly on the news, on the web or even in real life right next to me, I just cannot seem to spark any sort of emotion or feelings at all or feel sorry for the individual who is hurt.

I am pretty sure something isn't right. I was not like this when I was a kid, if a friend was hurt I would try to comfort them, and almost feel hurt myself seeing someone in pain. Now? I'm comfortably numb. I cannot say for certain that the internet is to blame though, because I have no evidence to prove or disprove this.

It's just that I don't get the point any more why I should care at all if something bad happens to someone or if I make someone feel hurt because I say something or act like a real *******. I mean, do people act so kind and nice towards others simply because then the people they have helped will help them if they are in a sticky situation or feel sad? I've gone through enough **** in my time so that I no longer really care what happens to me, whether I get hurt really badly; so what? I'll recover. I guess if I actually lose a limb I'd think quite differently, but I haven't, have I.

I guess I would only have to make up some reason to care for what happens around me to people, but I can't.

One thing also, I'm very tall, I have the darkest voice in history, and I always look pissed off, this seems to make people think I am always angry or mad at them, my mother especially has taken to notice this, always bothering me asking if something's wrong because I look so angry.

I'm not angry.

I'm pretty fly with a lot of people in my school (it's a small school, some 200 people there) for some reason, I guess it's because I'm witty. I'm entertainment.

Jeez. I spend 90% of my time in my room, only emerging from my cave when I need food or to take a piss.

But I digress (a lot), I was actually going to talk about whether ethics and morals matter at all, I guess you have to make up your own reason to make things matter, like I said (I think). People only need to have morals to make a living in society, I think.

What do you think, ethics matter?

I'm sure I'll regret making this thread tomorrow.

Offline Skyward

• Ballblazer Plasmorb
    • View Profile
Re: Ethics and Morals
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2009, 03:12:49 pm »
To keep put it simply.

Yes, I do. ;)
Hell, Skyward Descent is pure win!
Quote from: Captain
I kill you in the name of DELICIOUS!

Offline Null

• Tempest Top Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2009, 03:23:21 pm »
Tomorrow or sooner. To be honest, I have seen a steady degradation in my own personal ethics and morals over the past few years, and I do some stuff now that I would never have dreamed of doing in the past and you know what?

I love it.

Less bothers me, less gets to me, and less makes me sad. Numb is comfortable, yes, but you seem to be saying you lack empathy altogether for others and that is NOT normal. What degree of empathy varies between people, sure, but those lacking the ability to put themselves in other people's situations will cause problems for themselves sooner or later.

Whatever.

As for morals, they society constructs imposed to make things run smoother. Some probably have a behavioral origin but they are only relevant in regards to a societies enforcement. And I don't mean like legal enforcement. They are not pointless if following them creates positive reactions from others, and if breaking them causes negative ones. Even if you don't care about their feelings in regards to it you will care about the actions that result as a consequence.

But they are made-up things none the less.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2009, 07:10:42 pm by Null »

Offline Veraal

• Zelda Zealot
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2009, 03:25:40 pm »
Haven't thought of it that way.

Always thought it was a bad thing, but I guess one would need to define bad by saying that.

which I don't feel like doing.

Offline Andrew Ryan

• Simon Belmont
  • A man has a choice, I chose the impossible!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2009, 03:26:21 pm »
Veraal, your sounding more and more like a Psychopath.  :-\
"Don't worry 'bout me. I wouldn't worry about me. Don't you worry about me. Don't you worry 'bout me!" - Talking Heads, Don't Worry About the Government

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2009, 03:30:46 pm »
Yes, most of the rules and systems that we follow are arbitrary when it gets down to it; however, nobody really cares that you think that and almost everybody has come to the same realization at some point in their life. You gotta play the game if you want to get ahead. Best not go around worrying about the pointlessness of things, it's not gonna pay the bills.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2009, 03:38:01 pm by PatMan33 »

Offline Null

• Tempest Top Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2009, 03:35:36 pm »
Pfft that is how academics and politicians pay their bills.

« Last Edit: April 29, 2009, 03:37:34 pm by Null »

Offline Veraal

• Zelda Zealot
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2009, 03:46:09 pm »
Veraal, your sounding more and more like a Psychopath.  :-\

Whatever.

I'm more interested in completely letting go of empathy.

I guess to become a greater self and reach 100% happiness the only thing to do is completely ditch empathy, ethics and morals.

j/k, of course.

Offline Skyward

• Ballblazer Plasmorb
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2009, 03:50:14 pm »
I dunno, I personally find not being a jerk to people a good thing.

Offline Grangan

• Q*Bert Qrazy
  • We're all mad here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2009, 04:12:32 pm »
The problem is that ethics and morals are sort of like a big prisoner's dillema.  It doesn't really effect a society for the worse much if a few people didn't follow ethics.  But then, if too many people decide to not follow them, society becomes harmed, and if noone follows them, society becomes a total hellhole.
Twas Brillig and the slithy toves did gyre and gimble in the wabe, all mimsy were the borogoves and the mome raths outgrabe.

Offline Gauphastus

• Ice Climber
  • Hey, man.
    • View Profile
    • Gauphastumblr
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2009, 04:29:35 pm »
Spent like an hour thinking about this, trying to come up with some configuration of words that would come across as even remotely profound or interesting.

Whatever. Basically, you are who you are, and where you are, in life because that's where you put yourself.
You are exactly who you make yourself to be, outside intereference or not.

When you consider whether or not ethical or moral values are important to society, consider some basic rules you follow day to day already --
Don't harm or kill people.
Don't steal or damage other people's stuff.
Don't damage the environment. Preserve your habitat.

Sound good so far?

Sure, there are some little bitty rules here and there you could probably do without. Just remember that there are other people sharing this world with you. You may not necessarily feel very badly about a thousand deaths in some faraway place you saw on TV, but when it comes to your own home, your own family and friends..

You're human.
It's alright to feel.
I think it's also perfectly acceptable to turn up the apathy. For a time.

But unless there is some higher purpose you wish to achieve, one that isn't entirely selfish, that requires you discard much of your moral and ethical values, I think you may just need to get your head out of your ass.
"Ma all the gods of furious strong be with you as you crunch opposents, and live like a windrammer as you f**k."
       ~Ricky Wangstrom

Offline Skyward

• Ballblazer Plasmorb
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2009, 04:42:46 pm »
^That.

Offline Uroboros

• Duck Hunter
  • Am I awake?
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2009, 04:55:16 pm »
Ethics are equivilent, yes. We percieve right and wrong in our own ways, but despite these differences, we laid down 'law'. Ethics, much like law, are a common sacrifice we each make, so that we have a middle-ground between all of us, in which even if we disagree with the fine print, we choose not to view deliberate harm, theft and the like, as 'acceptable'.

Ethics were born from what natural altruism and empathy we have for our own species, and as we grew civilised, they expanded. Much like the law, every persons "individual ethics" can vary quite wildly, to the point where a person can believe something blatantly harmful is a right, or just a normal and acceptable thing. In the end, it doesnt matter what we view is right and wrong, it only matters how we act unto others. For all the philosophical slippery slopes and gray areas we can delve into, as civilised people we can at least agree upon the base of "don't stab people if they spill your beer".

I think Tenacious D put it best : "Don't be a douchebag". :P

gec05

« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2009, 05:03:03 pm »
I think that even if people are given no law or sense of direction, humans can naturally follow a simple set of laws even when they are not aware of it. It's only by the upbringing and development that some people go through that can unfortunately numb that natural instinct.

Offline Little

• Crystal Castle Gem Eater
  • I'm a drunk...
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2009, 06:39:21 pm »
Oddly, I'm more cynical, but have more empathy for people I know and people who are far away from me then when I was younger.
The best person ever.  She should have won the Peace Prize.

What? No full control over children? You do realize that some of us have particular plans for those children.