Author Topic: George R R Martin  (Read 20584 times)

Offline lemurbouy

• Defender Devotee
  • oh my...
    • View Profile
    • Leeman's Livejournal!
George R R Martin
« on: November 23, 2005, 07:41:05 pm »
Thought I'd see who all has read the Song of Ice and Fire books including the newest one, Feast For Crows.  I finished it a few days ago and really enjoyed it.  It felt like half a book because...well, it is but it was very good nonetheless and I am excited about the next one.  These might be favourite fantasy books although Pratchett still wins out due his sheer volume.  What are people thinking about them?  -leeman

Offline T-BirD

• Battlezone Captain
    • View Profile
Re: George R R Martin
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2005, 10:30:52 pm »
Phenomenal!  My favorite fantasy author, followed by Sara Douglass.

The last time I was at a bookstore, Feast for Crows was supposed to be out for a week or more, but they didn't seem to have it yet...

Offline Scipion

• Stargate Superstar
  • Returned from the grave, now with more immunities!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2005, 09:34:15 pm »
How many books are in the series now, I've read the first three, and I thought A Dance of Dragons, or whatever it was called hadn't come out yet. Definitly need to look for these new ones. I'm so eager to read more about the youngest princess and the dragon queen lady. Huh...that' kinda sounds gay.
-Just like Gaming Steve all of my ideas, suggestions, and comments are merely edjucated guesses. These are based on prior experience and current released info.-

Offline Morslok

• Battlezone Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2005, 07:49:21 am »
Definitely good stuff.  I got A Feast for Crows on day 1 (November 8th I think it was.) I became a fan after reading book one at none other than Gaming Steve's behest.  I would like to use this to thanks him for that, if he didn't already see what I put on the frappr.
Signed, Morslok

Offline lemurbouy

• Defender Devotee
  • oh my...
    • View Profile
    • Leeman's Livejournal!
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2005, 03:28:32 pm »
I got Feast for Crows the day it came out at a book signing for Mr. Martin.  It was very cool and I even got some of my questions answered.  If you like the series, try to see him speak; it's a really great experience.  I finished the book and now get to wait for the next half.  Great stuff.  -leeman

Offline Skron

• Atari Combat Vet
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2006, 09:28:21 pm »
I like George RR Martin. But I still need to accumulate money to get his latest book. My fave character would be Arya and Tyrion.

Offline Mikempty

• Breakout Battler
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2006, 03:45:48 am »
Martin is actually a top notch Author. I just wish he'd finish books more reguarly.

I've read the four out to date, and check his website weekly for hints on the next book due out.

I've also read two of his science fiction short stories as well that are actually really top notch stories. One is "The way of the Cross and Dragon", and the second being "Sandkings".

Both good stuff. I'd be suprised if anyone else has read those though. I mostly found them by chance.
"The power of accurate observation is frequently called cynicism by those who don't have it."
- George Bernard Shaw (1856-1950)

Offline Scipion

• Stargate Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2006, 05:49:33 pm »
I found out the other day that there are two short-stories floating around based in ASoIaF, one is called The Hedgeknight and i can't remember the other one, but it's about the old guy from the wall when he was a kid.

I bought A Feast for Crows a month ago and read it, very good read. I let my friend read the book afterwards and one night he pointed out there was something interesting on the first page. I open the book and take a look, there was George R. Martin's signature. It wasn't printed, it was actual pen, you could see tiny smears and where it rubbed off a bti on the other page. We were both freakin' out about it.
-Just like Gaming Steve all of my ideas, suggestions, and comments are merely edjucated guesses. These are based on prior experience and current released info.-

Offline lemurbouy

• Defender Devotee
  • oh my...
    • View Profile
    • Leeman's Livejournal!
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2006, 04:17:24 pm »
Hedge Knight is really cool and there's a nifty graphic novel that was released some time back.  My fiancee got it for christmas and it's got some really cool backstory and a lot more Westeros flavour.  I recommend it.

Offline JakeCourtney

• Vanguard Venturer
  • The Godfather
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2006, 08:12:03 am »
I'm reading A Game of Thrones right now.  It's a pretty thick book.

Offline lemurbouy

• Defender Devotee
  • oh my...
    • View Profile
    • Leeman's Livejournal!
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2006, 09:29:10 am »
It is thick and the books keep getting bigger.  They had to split this last book into two because there is no glue strong enough to hold it all unless it's as big as a dictionary.  Crazy. -leeman

Offline JakeCourtney

• Vanguard Venturer
  • The Godfather
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2006, 10:06:04 pm »
Is there any tips on how to keep track of all the characters while reading?  There are so many families.

Offline Scipion

• Stargate Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2006, 04:41:35 pm »
I think all the books have family trees in the very back of them. At least all the ones I own do...

However there are a ton of names back there and some times it's hard to remembe rexactly who you are looking for. It might be a good idea to highlight main or itneresting characters so they stick out while you are looking for them.

Offline lemurbouy

• Defender Devotee
  • oh my...
    • View Profile
    • Leeman's Livejournal!
« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2006, 01:41:01 pm »
westeros.org is the big community site that helps keep things a little straight.  Other than that, there's always pen and paper.

Offline JakeCourtney

• Vanguard Venturer
  • The Godfather
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2006, 10:47:23 pm »
Anyone who hasn't read George R. R. Martin is missing out.