Author Topic: George R R Martin  (Read 20331 times)

Offline Mr. Consideration

• Goddess of Phobos
  • Merry Christmarx, one and all!
    • View Profile
Re: George R R Martin
« Reply #15 on: June 05, 2006, 09:59:25 am »
Recently finished "A Game of Thrones". Very cool, deep characters. I wasn't sure about most charcacters (Tyrion Lannister stands out) throughout the whole book, and the twists and turns kept me reading. Didnt like the Dothraki ending, but the rest thrilled me.
"Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone elses opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation." - Oscar Wilde

Yes, I am aware of the irony.

Offline lemurbouy

• Defender Devotee
  • oh my...
    • View Profile
    • Leeman's Livejournal!
« Reply #16 on: June 11, 2006, 05:50:28 pm »
The Dothraki stuff is probably my least favourite in the series but it's still pretty decent.  I'm interested in seeing how things go down there in the next book. -leeman

Offline Samog

• Ultima III Time Lord
  • objectivists are dumb
    • View Profile
    • -
« Reply #17 on: June 15, 2006, 10:10:43 pm »
I have it from a reliable source that the book after A Dance with Dragons won't actually be called The Winds of Winter. It will be The Soap Opera of Lots of Sex and Gore.
"Fine. Don't believe me. I'm not lying. all your laziness which you mistake for something funney is driving me insane, quit fooling around!  dude this is just wrong, very wrong. reality does not consist of constrained language. go lock this thread malt. I love the payment."4MOD

Offline HolsteinCow

• Vanguard Venturer
  • NOT A TROLL
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 20, 2006, 10:38:41 am »
arya kills bran in book 5

Offline MorgothTheEnemy

• Revenging Yar
  • I will find the ring...and eat it FOR THE EMPEROR!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 29, 2006, 01:21:48 am »

hope your kidding but i thought only 4 had come out. If your telling the truth i hate you.

seriously. :D

but im like half way through feast for crows now, prob gonna finish it this week
Ash Nazg Durbatuluk,
Ash Nazg Gimbatul,
Ash Nazg Thrakatuluk,
Ag Burzum-Ishi Krimpatul!!!

"Then his neighbors looked good, so I gobbled them up too."
                                                                             -762
http://redwing.hutman.net/~mreed/index.htm

Offline Samog

• Ultima III Time Lord
  • objectivists are dumb
    • View Profile
    • -
« Reply #20 on: June 29, 2006, 04:27:01 pm »
It was actually Pyat Pree in drag, but that's revealed in book 7.
"Fine. Don't believe me. I'm not lying. all your laziness which you mistake for something funney is driving me insane, quit fooling around!  dude this is just wrong, very wrong. reality does not consist of constrained language. go lock this thread malt. I love the payment."4MOD

Offline lemurbouy

• Defender Devotee
  • oh my...
    • View Profile
    • Leeman's Livejournal!
« Reply #21 on: July 01, 2006, 04:52:25 pm »
We all know that Zombie-Ned kills everyone at the end of the 37th book.

Seriously, people, let's get with the picture.
-leeman

Offline Torenia

• Atari Combat Vet
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 15, 2006, 11:19:19 pm »
George RR Martin will be signing books at the Carmel, IN Barnes and Noble Sept. 30.  If you can't make it to the book signing but live in the states you can buy books over the phone and get them signed and shipped.  Not as much fun as meeting him in person, but an easy way to get signed copies.  You can reach the store at 317-844-2501 if you have any questions.

Offline Manna

• Frogger Fanatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 11, 2006, 05:13:55 pm »
dredging up an old thread here but if you're as much of a george rr martin fan as I am you may be interested in his podcast which he recently started.

http://www.georgerrmartin.com/news.html

He's obviously not naturally a radio speaker but he talks about where his ideas for a song of ice and fire came from and he's going to discuss more about the series and read excerpts from his 5th book, A Dance With Dragons in later episodes. It's only 10 minutes of your time so I suggest you check it out.
Dont look at me, I'm irrelevant!

Offline lemurbouy

• Defender Devotee
  • oh my...
    • View Profile
    • Leeman's Livejournal!
« Reply #24 on: January 25, 2007, 03:03:01 am »

• Goddess of Phobos
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 06, 2007, 11:31:25 am »
I started on the second novel, A Clash of Kings. I'm really liking this one so far.

It was brilliant.  It's amazing how much you can relate to diverse characters. I relate to Robb Stark, jaime Lannister, Tyrion Lannister, Catelyn Stark.......Even The Hound and Theon Greyjoy.....

They all seem very real, well-rounded people and they seem more real than almost any book I've ever read.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2007, 02:26:46 pm by Mr. Consideration »
"Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone elses opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation." - Oscar Wilde

• Goddess of Phobos
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 11, 2008, 11:45:30 am »
Double Post and Necrobump; not bad going.

I've been re-reading these and I'm amazed again. With every re-read, A Song of Ice and Fire just gets better: my perceptions of every character change. Robert Baratheon, whom I originally considered a fat, babbling idiots cashing in on his loans and old glory to romance whores, whilst letting his Kingdom collapse around him has suddenly changed into this tragic, romantic character. All his joys, from Lyanna to battling, are fading form the world. He has to face the possibility the woman he loved left him for his worst enemy every day (Similar to Jorah Mormont's wife after their exile). His attempts to reach out to his son are lost in Joffery's arrogance, his coldness, and what Robert sees as his detestable behaviour. Theon Greyjoy has ceased to be arrogant and ambitious, to be replaced by someone who simply tries his very hardest to be what everyone wants him to be; often conflicting things. Sandor Clegane, ironically, still remains the only creature in Westeros who actually holds to his principles.

Not to mention, I've uncovered a ridiculous amount of very, very clever foreshadowing throughout the book...

SPOILER
'King' Stannis utters in his parley with Renly, or soon after, that 'That'll be the day I throw down my crown and take the black."

The rather obvious one of the Wolf with the antler in it's throat; A 'Parent' Stark killed in a 'Hhunted' Baratheon's death throes...