Author Topic: Photoshop hates me!  (Read 2507 times)

Offline Flisch

• H.E.R.O. Rescue Worker
  • Banned - 17/07/15
    • View Profile
Photoshop hates me!
« on: April 21, 2009, 08:01:39 am »
Seriously, it lags every single time I do something, like after every brushstroke, then it freezes for a few seconds until I can do the next stroke. It even does this when I choose a new setting or alter the opacity etc.

Does anyone know how to calm make it work properly again? :(

There is, of course, a difference between having a laugh with someone, and having a laugh at their expense

Offline Elerd

• Fire Truck Driver
    • View Profile
Re: Photoshop hates me!
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2009, 12:57:32 pm »
It happens to me when I use large diameter brushes (200+), or when I have too many layers.
I usually just acknowledge my humbleness and rasterise everything I'm currently content with. Or just start using Illustrator...

Offline Huckbuck

• Balloon Fight Aerialist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2009, 03:07:18 pm »
Open the task manager when running photoshop and see if it uses up your RAM or CPU, you might need to get a better computer. This is not likely if it worked just fine before though.
@davidramnero

Offline Andrew Ryan

• Simon Belmont
  • A man has a choice, I chose the impossible!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2009, 03:08:14 pm »
Same thing happens to me with when I try to save things in GIMP. It lags really bad for like ten minutes and then saves it.
"Don't worry 'bout me. I wouldn't worry about me. Don't you worry about me. Don't you worry 'bout me!" - Talking Heads, Don't Worry About the Government

gec05

« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2009, 03:38:14 pm »
This can either be too little RAM on your system or you need to set up a scratch disk for Photoshop. If you check the program's preferences you can assign your secondary hard drive (if you have one) as a scratch disk, thus helping it with memory.

As with any high quality image suite, these programs need lots of RAM. Try closing any background programs you don't need.

Offline Flisch

• H.E.R.O. Rescue Worker
  • Banned - 17/07/15
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2009, 02:22:20 am »
Well, I had restarted my computer and opened photoshop as the first program. But it didn't work either. Also it was OK before too, and I didn't change anything in the meantime. The brushes I use and the size of the canvas is also the same as before. :-\
There is, of course, a difference between having a laugh with someone, and having a laugh at their expense

Offline The_Kev

• Joust Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Fear Productions
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2009, 05:02:26 am »
Strange, are any other programs just running fine? 'Cause I think you first have to find out if it's only photoshop being stupid or just your whole computer.

EDIT: Also, doesn't this belong in this threat?
http://www.gamingsteve.com/blab/index.php?topic=15563.0
« Last Edit: April 22, 2009, 05:04:09 am by The_Kev »
"When my strength is your weakness, I'll become fearless." - Fear

Proud owner of:

Offline Huckbuck

• Balloon Fight Aerialist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2009, 05:20:32 am »
You might have unwanted programs taking up RAM that autostart when you start the computer, remove them.
@davidramnero

Offline Flisch

• H.E.R.O. Rescue Worker
  • Banned - 17/07/15
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2009, 12:18:10 pm »
Strange, are any other programs just running fine? 'Cause I think you first have to find out if it's only photoshop being stupid or just your whole computer.
No, everything else is perfectly fine. :(

EDIT: Defragged my PC and now it works again! YAY!
« Last Edit: April 29, 2009, 07:30:47 am by Flisch »