9 (27.3%)
GameCube
13 (39.4%)
All the same
2 (6.1%)
don't really know..
4 (12.1%)

Total Members Voted: 33

Author Topic: The Best Console(For now)  (Read 8723 times)

Offline Mr.Heat

• Video Pinball Wizard
    • View Profile
The Best Console(For now)
« on: March 25, 2005, 04:56:47 am »
I'm thinking of getting a console along with the PSP potable machine, so which one should i get? and please try to be subjective...

Heat

Offline CrimsonSapien

• Fire Truck Driver
  • Syntax error in line 20: UserCS=Wrong
    • View Profile
Re: The Best Console(For now)
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2005, 08:10:56 am »
I would say the xbox. Allthough not only for it's gaming but for its soft-modding freindly nature!  ;D I currently have a 120GB HD in my XBox, where I have movies,  MP3's and a few XMAME games sitting. Some might say "well you can Mod the PS2!" This is true, but not as easy as you can SoftMod an XBOX, and a Modded Xbox lets you do waaay more than a modded PS2.  ;D
If you spend word for word with me, I shall make your wit bankrupt.

Offline Jecrell

• Battlezone Captain
  • Giant Snowy Ape
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2005, 01:58:55 pm »
You can mod the Xbox all you want really -- you still don't have the quantity and quality of the PS2 games available.

It really depends on what you like. I know for a fact that Bioware is obsessed with the Xbox, so you will find a lot of their RPG titles, now, and in the future, along with the various "Rare" company's games (Conker's Bad Fur Day, Banjo and Kazooie, ect). There's also a few other companies working for Xbox, but I'm not going into any others in particular.

PS2 has literally almost everything that all three systems have, but often it doesn't have "PS2 only" titles. However, it's cross-spectrum with something for everyone. Final Fantasy (traditional RPG), God of War (adrenaline pumping action -- I kid you not), and Grand Theft Auto - San Andreas (the open-ended/mission based ultra popular game) are some example games.

The Gamecube features games like Eternal Darkness (an action-horror based on various time periods), Resident Evil 4 (they completely changed Resident Evil into an action game from over the shoulder.. and they did it right) Metroid Prime (:)), Tales of Symphonia (classic RPG + 60+ hours worth  of storyline), the "coming soon" new Zelda game (wewt), along with Super Smash Bros. Melee and Mario Party for those oddball parties with friends.

Offline Zealousy

• Wizard of Wor
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2005, 03:18:18 pm »
and please try to be subjective...

Okay... I opted for the gamecube because I usually only play my consoles when I have friends over. When compared to my PS2 the 'Cube is just a better multiplayer console. Then again, I usually don't buy games that are only single-player anymore. I also don't own an xbox, and haven't made any decision on which next-gen console to get, if any. It's PC all the way for me. Hope that was subjective enough. ;)
I want to die in my sleep like my grandfather ... Not screaming and yelling like the passengers in his car.
- Will Shriner

Offline Tarious

• Adventure Ace
  • FINISH HIM!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2005, 04:15:24 pm »
Well,

I voted ps2.

X-box has best equipment in it and its got x-box live for online play.

Ps2 is most popular, has gta series and god of war now. 2nd best equipment. Online isn't as good as x-box

Cube is for party games. No online play. not the best hardware.

Offline Scipion

• Stargate Superstar
  • Returned from the grave, now with more immunities!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2005, 04:55:20 pm »
I voted X-Box for some reason... I think I like Halo too much. So much I forgot the great thigns on the GCN.
-Just like Gaming Steve all of my ideas, suggestions, and comments are merely edjucated guesses. These are based on prior experience and current released info.-

Offline SHW

• Akalabeth Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2005, 05:25:25 pm »
I voted GCN! What it has to offer is amazing especially in multiplayer, and because I have siblings/friends, we play a lot.

Offline krjal

• Pac-Man Maniac
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2005, 11:43:47 pm »
I have an N64 and a Dreamcast and I like them both :P

I do play Halo on my friends' machines though.
+++"Sometimes, when I look into the abyss, the abyss looks back" - [tmo]+++

Offline Mr.Heat

• Video Pinball Wizard
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2005, 02:14:03 am »
You can mod the Xbox all you want really -- you still don't have the quantity and quality of the PS2 games available.

I'll have to agree with you on that, especially in Israel, Where Xbox Arrived almost a year ago, and it doesn't have that much games.... :-\

Heat

Offline The Evil Blob

• Missile Commander
  • "Enchanted creature gets +8/+8 and has Trample"
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2005, 03:06:58 pm »
The XBox may be the most powerful console, however, the PS2 has way more games. The games are also a lot better. Name 10 good games for the XBox. Name 10 good games for the PS2. Which is easier?
Why do you park on a driveway and drive on a parkway?

Offline SHW

• Akalabeth Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2005, 07:50:06 pm »
Answer: The Gamecube....

Offline LadyM

• Mortal Kombat Konqueror
  • I'm not confused anymore
    • View Profile
    • LadyMpire
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2005, 04:13:28 am »
I had to vote Gamecube since that is the console I've had the longest.  I recently got an XBox and I'm pleasantly surprised at all the mods and options you can do with it.  I just saw one that will turn it into a Windows Media center and record TV. I haven't tried any of them yet so don't know if they really work. So if you ask again in six months, my answer might change.

Offline lemurbouy

• Defender Devotee
  • oh my...
    • View Profile
    • Leeman's Livejournal!
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2005, 09:09:27 am »
I initially voted PS2 for one reason and that was that you can play all of the Metal Gear Solid games on them.  Then I realized that you have Metal Gear Substance for XBox and Metal Gear Twin Snakes for Gamecube.  Regardless, I will still wave my flag for PS2.  I blew my very first Blockbuster paycheck on one back in the summer of '01 and I've enjoyed it ever since.  It was my roommate's and my dvd player for a long time and the hours we clocked on in on some of those early games like Red Faction and Twisted Metal Black when we should have been studying warms my heart.  The fact that you could play PS1 games on them made it even sweeter.  I still challenge people to find greater action/adventure games than Castlevania: Symphony of the Night and Metal Gear Solid.  (I sound like a broken Chipmunks Sing the Beatles record, don't I?)  So, although I enjoy both Xbox and the GameCube immensely, I have to stand by my trusty, clunky, old PS2 if for nothing more than the good times we've shared together.  -leeman

Offline DevilMachine

• Q*Bert Qrazy
  • Defender of the Universe
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2005, 01:29:01 pm »
I voted for the Xbox, for a few of reasons, firstly, because you can mod the hell out of it. I have an 80gb hd in mine. And when I sue to work in a video shop it was nice to be able to rent games for free and save them to my xbox :)

secondly, the Xbox is the most powerful machine out, and it shows.
sometime last year I got out my old PSX and it hurt my eyes to look at the graphics, I kinda feel this way about the PS2, although not to the same extent, its still a relief to see my xbox.

thirdly, yes - there are more games for the PS2, but the PS2 came out way before the Xbox did, and alot of the PS2 games have been carried over from the PSX (gran turismo and final fantasy for example)
and also most games that are released now days are multi-platform anyway. ( I heard that GTA: san andres is expected on xbox half way through this year, maybe?)

however, im a huge rpg fan, and would love to see more rpgs on the xbox. I am semi-contemplaying getting a ps2 so i can play final fantasy, .hack, suikoden, etc

oh, and also I like xbox live better than the playstation network.

but you know, like, whatever....... ::)

Offline voodoo

• Brain Games Mastermind
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2005, 08:08:13 pm »
I own the PS2 and the Gamecube. Actually, the Gamecube is my brother's but it doesn't make much a difference. If I could have influenced his decision on what system to get, I would have had to tell him to get an X-Box. The PS2 is a great system. Graphically, it's not that bad, and there are tons of great games for it. The X-Box has better graphics, and does not have a selection as large as the PS2. But the good games that it does have are great. Unfortunately, its not the same for the Gamecube. I'd have to say PS2 only because I don't have the full experience with an X-Box, but I'd still suggest that over a Gamecube.

Offline PineappleTheHun

• Mystery House Madman
  • Explodablicious!
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2005, 05:17:22 pm »
Gamecube Totally.
PS2 has crap hardware, crap games, and you can get 90% of the games on Xbox AND Gamecube.
Xbox has the best hardware, some good games, such as Halo and Mechassault, and I suppose you can mod it, but all in all that costs a bundle.
And the gamecube has the worst hardware, but, by far, the most FUN, ORIGINAL, and EXCLUSIVE GAMES.

Feel free to argue, Generic PS2 game/Halo fanboys.  ;)
Quote from: Borogove
I try to think of what mother nature would have done if she suffered major brain damage.
Quote from: Gaming Steve
You are wrong.
Quote from: Legodragonxp
Starship Troopers 2 had only two things worth seeing, but she died early on

Offline CrimsonSapien

• Fire Truck Driver
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2005, 02:05:04 am »
Xbox has the best hardware, some good games, such as Halo and Mechassault, and I suppose you can mod it, but all in all that costs a bundle.
And the gamecube has the worst hardware, but, by far, the most FUN, ORIGINAL, and EXCLUSIVE GAMES.

Feel free to argue, Generic PS2 game/Halo fanboys.  ;)

That is an interesting yet uninformed view you have there, you see the Xbox can be modded (softmod) without costing you a single cent. If you were to say that chipping the Xbox is expensive, I *might* agree with you (for not everyone has disposable cash to justify chipping a perfectly good Xbox) As far as your statement goes about the Gamecube, I cannot totally agree with you there either. You see you accuse the other two of having franchise games you can get on all the systems, yet you neglect to mention Nintendo is just as guilty (although they do not spread their "flagship games" across all the systems) Does the names of these revamped, re-released games mean anything to you: Zelda, Metroid, just about anything with Mario. Fun? Maybe. Original? Definitely not. Exclusive? Yup. Childish? Absolutely.

Offline krjal

• Pac-Man Maniac
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2005, 04:23:41 am »
Labelling something 'childish' is a very subjective notion.
+++"Sometimes, when I look into the abyss, the abyss looks back" - [tmo]+++

Offline Sensei Jinx

• Mystery House Madman
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 06, 2005, 06:27:38 am »
As far as your statement goes about the Gamecube, I cannot totally agree with you there either. You see you accuse the other two of having franchise games you can get on all the systems, yet you neglect to mention Nintendo is just as guilty (although they do not spread their "flagship games" across all the systems) Does the names of these revamped, re-released games mean anything to you: Zelda, Metroid, just about anything with Mario. Fun? Maybe. Original? Definitely not. Exclusive? Yup. Childish? Absolutely.

You know, slapping an "M" rating onto a game doesn't automatically make it "adultish" as I'd like to call it. It just means they stuck in some gore or nudity or maybe a bunch of profanity. That doesn't automatically make the game adultish; in fact, it may still be rather immature. More childish then those games people always accuse of being for wee lil kids. Other factors make a game mature much more then the upbove stated factors.

Likewise, an "E" rating doesn't automatically make a game childish.

And for the life of me, I can't think why anybody would label Metroid as being childish...I can understand the bad rap that Mario and Zelda gets (even if I don't agree with it) but Metroid?

And now here's my canned spiel of how the GameCube has many more good games then Zelda, Mario, and Metroid. Blah blah blah. Us GameCube owners sure have to defend ourselves a lot.

Offline CrimsonSapien

• Fire Truck Driver
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 06, 2005, 09:20:01 am »
No more than PS2, Xbox and a slew of other consoles do.

Offline Sensei Jinx

• Mystery House Madman
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 07, 2005, 01:50:22 pm »
Well sure. But not necassarily less, either.

Offline franchise

• Breakout Battler
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 07, 2005, 03:59:59 pm »
They all have great qualities - Nintendo titles for GameCube, albeit very few. PS2 if you're into quantity. Xbox for online play and good games.

If I had to choose between the 3 I'd take Xbox without a second thought. Plenty of very good games (Halo, Ninja Gaiden, all the Tom Clancy games, Doom 3, Beyond good and evil, Fable, Sudeki, Prince of Persia, KOTOR to name a few), many of which have online play. The online play alone seals it for me, I could go months just playing Halo 2 and a few sports games, so if you're in to competition go with xbox. Also, IMO the controller has the best layout for most game types.

Offline Sully

• Atari Combat Vet
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 11, 2005, 01:45:48 pm »
PS2 for quality and selection of games.

Ill take Gran Turismo and GTA anyday over Yoshi's Fantastical coloring book adventure. But I have been biased against nintendo since the late 80's.

Offline LadyM

• Mortal Kombat Konqueror
  • I'm not confused anymore
    • View Profile
    • LadyMpire
« Reply #23 on: April 12, 2005, 03:56:34 am »
You know you have a good game when its fun, addictive and you can't wait to get back on and play.  Whether the game is considered childish or not is not relevent.  Everyone has different taste and concepts of what is fun or interesting. That's why there's such a selection of games out there.  Some of the games I play would probably be considered childish to the rest of you but they are very entertaining to me, which is why I play them. I have no interest in war games but lots of you do.. Just have fun cause its all good.

Offline jedi55555

• Asteroids Aficionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 21, 2005, 06:57:43 am »
I voted XBox.  That is about all I have played for over a year now even though I have had a PS2 since it first came out (My wife and I stood out in line overnight to get that thing, the PS2 that is - yea we were crazy).  I have even recently gotten rid of my PS2.  I now have the Xbox, Gamecube, and PSP.  Don't know why I like the stuff on the XBOX better, I just do.